After already proving to be a man of many talents by successfully transitioning from a popular career in professional wrestling to regularly topping the list of highest-paid actors in Hollywood, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson might be preparing us for a third act in his career — rapping!
The Ballers star showed off his skills in the booth recently by dropping a verse for rap vet Tech N9ne in a new song called “Face Off,” and many people reacted to hearing The Rock rocking the mic.
The song, which appears on Tech’s freshly-released new album ASIN9NE, marks the grand debut of Johnson as an emcee, and his bars are surprisingly just as strong as his iconic action figure physique suggests. Although he doesn’t try to keep up with the insanely-skilled fast flows of Tech N9ne or fellow featured artists Joey Cool and King Iso, it’s the energy in Dwayne’s delivery that makes him sound so authentic.
Those old enough to remember might recall that technically this isn’t The Rock’s first time doing a music collaboration. At the peak of his WWF/WWE career, the fan-favorite People’s Champ lended his famous in-ring quote “It doesn’t matter!” to Wyclef Jean by appearing on the chorus of his The Ecleftic: 2 Sides II a Book lead single, aptly-titled “It Doesn’t Matter,” back in 2000. His contributions were limited to a simple “speaking role” on the groovy track, so we’re glad he finally decided to get lyrical after giving us a preview two decades ago.
Enjoy the official music video for Tech N9ne’s “Face Off” below, and keep scrolling to see a few fan reactions on social media from those who were wowed by the fact that The Rock can rap and others who think he should probably stick to acting:
READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:
- Rapper Kevin Gates Urges Men To Practice Semen Retention [VIDEO]
- Watch Viola Davis Question Sandra Bullock’s White Privilege in Trailer for Netflix’s ‘The Unforgivable’
- Stacey Abrams Group Donates $1.34M To Wipe Out Medical Debts
1. Who had Tech N9ne doing a song with The Rock (with him rapping) on their 2021 Bingo Card?
2. The future president of the United States rapping on a Tech N9ne tune. Come on now. #TheRock
3. Nice to see you rapping again
4. The Rock rapping with Tech?! What a time to be alive
5. . @TheRock rapping in new Tech N9ne song just reminded me of this Wyclef classic.
6. WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT HOW TECH 9 GOT DWAYNE THE ROCK JOHNSON TO RAP FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ON HIS SONG
7. Tech N9ne the only mf to get the Rock on a fucking rap song
8. Uhhhhmmmmm, Variety is obviously forgetting The Rock’s real rap debut.
9. Tech N9ne really got Dwayne Johnson spitting bars on a song… This is The Rock’s first ever rap song according to his Twitter feed He’s got a decent flow too tbh
10. Loving @TheRock in @TechN9ne new rap Face Off, that’s some serious rapping my man…… “it’s about drive, it’s about power” One take that’s a wrap…. we’ve got drive too, check out crypto’s new Charity Coin @ThePeoples_Coin we NEED you Rock!
11. Sigh why did Tech N9ne allow The Rock to rap
12. Me listening to The Rock rap
13. Dwayne @TheRock Johnson makes his “Rap” debut All the rappers and rap fans like…
14. Wyclef when he sees The Rock say that his song with Tech N9ne is his first rap song:
15. THE ROCK RAPS