We often hear trainers and fitness enthusiasts say “you have to eat right in order to lose weight.” While the idea is simple the action is more complex.
In a recent Facebook post I asked what were some issues people faced when attempting to adopt healthier eating habits. Many responses were provided, but the top three answers were time, money, and the lack of knowledge. Although these are understandable and realistic reasons, they are not excusable. The health of today’s society is suffering and it’s time to take action especially in the African-American community.
Below are three tips to jump-start your health goals. By adopting and understanding these tips your health can improve tremendously.
Make It a Priority
A wise man once said “You shouldn’t schedule your priorities, you should schedule around your priorities.” In other words, you should schedule your top priorities first. Grocery shopping and meal prepping must become a priority. Create a list of healthy whole foods to prepare your meals for the week. Find an empty slot in your weekly or bi-weekly schedule to visit the grocery store and to prepare your food. One suggestion is to prepare a large amount of food at one time to and separate into small meals throughout the week. This reduces cooking time and also prevents eating at an unhealthy fast-food restaurant. Yes, there is an extra effort on your part, but your health is worth it.
Check Your Pockets
At the end the month when you review your bank statement I can almost guarantee majority of your spending has come from eating out. I’m not one to count other people’s pockets, but I’m sure you are willing to save a dollar if you could. One easy tactic that deemed very successful was to sum up all of the money spent eating out for that month, take 75% of that amount and use towards groceries. Eating healthier is may appear to be expensive but so is eating out 5-10 times a week. Save yourself a penny by budgeting for groceries and cooking. You can even freeze your food if necessary to savor it for a later time.
Use Your Resources
One excuse that never gets old is “I don’t know what to eat, or how to meal prep”. My answer to that is as long as it is fresh, authentic, and doesn’t come out of a box, then it is good to eat. Choosing healthy foods is not as hard as people make it but it does require sacrifice. Yes, there will be moments in which our favorite unhealthy foods might win but don’t lose the fight. Refocus and readjust. Also, continue to educate yourself and invest in a personal trainer. Such professionals will not only assist with fitness goals but also with meal plans.
Remember changes won’t occur overnight, but start by adopting the tips above and continue to grow from there.
T.J. McCord is a fitness trainer and performance enhancement specialist based out of Mobile, AL. He believes that there are no limitations on the human body when creating innovative programs for his clients. Be sure to visit www.quikfits.com for more information, programs, and tips.
Fit & Sexy Celebrities!
1. Reggie BushSource:Getty 1 of 50
2. Stacey DashSource:Getty 2 of 50
3. Shemar MooreSource:Getty 3 of 50
4. RihannaSource:Getty 4 of 50
5. Hope SoloSource:Getty 5 of 50
6. Morris ChestnutSource:Getty 6 of 50
7. Janet JacksonSource:Getty 7 of 50
8. Dwight HowardSource:Getty 8 of 50
9. ChilliSource:Getty 9 of 50
10. Tony ParkerSource:Getty 10 of 50
11. BeyonceSource:Getty 11 of 50
12. LeBron JamesSource:Getty 12 of 50
13. Kelly RowlandSource:Getty 13 of 50
14. Devin Thomas14 of 50
15. Kerry WashingtonSource:Getty 15 of 50
16. Angela SimmonsSource:Getty 16 of 50
17. Blake GriffinSource:Getty 17 of 50
18. Evelyn LozadaSource:Getty 18 of 50
19. Jada Pinkett SmithSource:Getty 19 of 50
20. Dwayne WadeSource:Getty 20 of 50
21. CiaraSource:Getty 21 of 50
22. Regina KingSource:Getty 22 of 50
23. Omari HardwickSource:Getty 23 of 50
24. Gabrielle UnionSource:Getty 24 of 50
25. Zoe SaldanaSource:Getty 25 of 50
26. Lance GrossSource:Getty 26 of 50
27. Jennifer LopezSource:Getty 27 of 50
28. Serena WilliamsSource:Getty 28 of 50
29. Angela BassettSource:Getty 29 of 50
30. Usher30 of 50
31. Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 31 of 50
32. Halle BerrySource:Getty 32 of 50
33. Venus WilliamsSource:Getty 33 of 50
34. Gabby DouglasSource:Getty 34 of 50
35. Michelle RodriquezSource:Getty 35 of 50
36. Laila AliSource:Getty 36 of 50
37. Tyson BeckfordSource:Getty 37 of 50
38. Chanel ImanSource:Getty 38 of 50
39. Boris KodjoeSource:Getty 39 of 50
40. Adrienne BailonSource:Getty 40 of 50
41. Will Smith41 of 50
42. Mel B.42 of 50
43. Nicole Murphy43 of 50
44. Patrick Chung44 of 50
45. Alicia Keys45 of 50
46. Jordin Sparks46 of 50
47. Ramses Barden47 of 50
48. Paula Patton48 of 50
49. Selita Banks49 of 50
50. Eva Marcille50 of 50