Former restaurant owner B. Smith joins the battle that more than five million Americans face everyday.
CBS News reports:
Barbara Smith was one of the first African-American models on the cover of Mademoiselle. In 1986, she opened her first B. Smith restaurant in New York City, and two more followed. She hosted a TV program, wrote books and was called the black Martha Stewart.
Around four years ago, B. told her doctor about her symptoms before she told her husband and business partner of 22 years, Dan Gasby. Those problems — such as repeating things or not answering questions — became very serious.
When B. spoke with CBS News, she could not recall the date, month or year.
“Things like that make me very sad,” she said.
Eventually, she saw a team of experts at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, including neurologist Dr. Martin Goldstein.
Last October, a special scan was done to look for amyloid, a sticky protein that damages nerves and is present in patients with Alzheimer’s.
“It’s everywhere,” Dr. Goldstein said of the scan.
Though symptoms have progressed, B. continues to have the same positive outlook that helped make her famous.
“I think the future’s going to be fine,” she said. “I’m going to do my best to make it work out for me, and for as many people that I can possibly help, too.”
Illness, especially one as cruel as Alzheimer’s, can tear families apart, but B. and Dan said it has brought them closer than they’ve ever been. They are in the battle together.
Super Hot Black Models
1. Jessica White was discovered at age 13 and landed her first job modeling for Vogue.1 of 20
2. Tyson Beckford is an American fashion model best known for his days on the Ralph Lauren runway.2 of 20
3. Selita Ebanks is a Cayman born British model and actress best known for her days as a Victoria's Secret Angel.3 of 20
4. Kimora Lee Simmons is a former fashion model. She began her career at age 14 with a modeling contract with Chanel.4 of 20
5. Jourdan Dunn was discovered in 2006 and became the first black woman to walk the Prada runway in 2008.5 of 20
6. Eva Marcille is a fashion model who is best known for winning the third cycle of America's Next Top Model.6 of 20
7. Bre Scullark is signed to Ford models and is known for her time spent on America's Next Top Model.7 of 20
8. Naomi Sims began her career as the first Black supermodel. (Photo: EURweb.com)8 of 20
9. Michael Baisden Is Bringing His Family To The 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion9 of 20
10. Beverly Johnson made history when she appeared on the cover of Vogue. (AP)10 of 20
11. Businesswoman, actress and model Iman was a favorite with top designers. (AP)11 of 20
12. Tyra Banks was the first Black to grace the cover of S.I. (AP)12 of 20
13. Supermodel Naomi Campbell began modeling at the age of 15. (AP)13 of 20
14. Sudanese supermodel Alek Wek was discovered when she was 18. (AP)14 of 20
15. Ethiopian born model Liya Kebede has had a very successful career as model. (AP)15 of 20
16. Chanel Iman perhaps best known for her work for Victoria's Secret. (AP)16 of 20
17. Joan Smalls ranked #2 model in the world according to models.com. (AP)17 of 20
18. Model Sessilee Lopez has a Dominican and Portuguess background. (AP)18 of 20
19. Roshumba also appreared in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. (AP)19 of 20
20. Michael Baisden Is Bringing His Family To The 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion20 of 20
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
(Photo Source: PR Photos)