A lawyer for the ten former “American Idol” contestants suing over alleged discrimination on the show has filed a new brief in the case that attempts to use statistics to prove racial disparity among disqualified contestants.
Per The Hollywood Reporter’s Eriq Gardner:
The original complaint filed in New York was 429 pages long and covered a good amount of ground from “unconscionable Willy Wonka contracts” to allegedly manipulated reality television to support the notion that there was something fishy about the disparate amount of African Americans who were disqualified from competition over the years.
Since being filed eight months ago, the lawsuit has undergone a couple of revisions and is headed towards a judge’s determination about whether it should go forward.
Three weeks ago, the defendants, including Fox Broadcasting, Freemantle, 19 Entertainment and executive producer Nigel Lythgoe, brought a motion to dismiss that argued that the allegations were too late, barred by the First Amendment and that some of the plaintiffs lacked standing. Further, the defendants firmly denied that Idol is a rigged contest, that it was hardly falsely advertised and that contestant agreements are valid.
Do you think Idol is rigged? Is there some truth to the accusations or is it strictly a coincidence?
10 Stars We'd Like to See As Idol Judges
1. 1. Since "Idol" is considering non-musical hosts, we would love some eye candy like Boris Kodjoe as a judge. (PR)1 of 10
2. 2. Well maybe another eye candy judge, Lance Gross. (PR)2 of 10
3. 3. Pianist, Vocalist Alicia Keys could provide the expertise that could really benefit contestants. (PR)3 of 10
4. 4. Jamie Foxx could provide both a musical and comedic point of view that could add a lot to the show.(PR)4 of 10
5. 5. Arguably one of the greatest songwriters, R.Kelly could provide a great perspective on the show. (AP)5 of 10
6. 6. Amazing singer & dancer, Beyonce, has a enough star power that would have everyone tuning in. (PR)6 of 10
7. 7. Patti LaBelle has the experience & vocals to school the up and coming artists. (Retna)7 of 10
8. 8. Who says rappers can't judge? LL Cool J, has the perfect personality to be on the singing show. (PR)8 of 10
9. 9. Superstar Kanye West's creativity and huge talent could be great for the show. (PR)9 of 10
10. 10. Monica has longevity in the business that could be helpful to young artists. (PR)10 of 10
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information visit here.
(Photo Source: PR Photos)