(Photo by AP)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Michelle Obama says she felt “lost and alone” after suffering a miscarriage 20 years ago and underwent in vitro fertilization to conceive her two daughters.

She tells ABC in an interview aired on “Good Morning America” she felt like she “failed because I didn’t know how common miscarriages were because we don’t talk about them.” Mrs. Obama, 54, says she and former President Barack Obama “had to do IVF” to conceive Sasha and Malia, now 17 and 20.

In her memoir “Becoming,” set to come out Tuesday, the former first lady writes openly about everything from growing up in Chicago to confronting racism in public life and becoming the country’s first black first lady. She also reflects on early struggles in her marriage as Obama began his political career.

The Obamas Through The Years

HEAD BACK TO THE BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM HOMEPAGE

29 thoughts on “Michelle Obama Had Miscarriage, Used IVF To Conceive Girls

1. vdabney722 on said:

BAW, I’m studying the Terms of Use for this site. Right now I’m checking out the “no impersonation” and “defamation, profane, and abusive” prohibition. Maybe something can be done about MacDaddy and other abusers who post offensive and racist content, who come here on a regular basis. Surely a site like Black American Web should prohibit the posting of Racist content. We shall see.

2. Veronica Dabney on said:

Arthur Childress, that ridiculous argument will work when you find and post a picture of any other first lady pregnant. Most women in public life don’t release such pictures. Why should they? Why should Mrs.Obama? Now go look for a pregnant picture of Laura Bush, or Hillary Clinto n, Nancy Reagan or Rosalind Carter. Such pictures are very rare unless the First Lady is actually pregnant in the White House which is also very rare. Jackie Kennedy was the last one over 55 years ago.Just another lame excuse to criticize Michelle Obama.

• vdabney722 on said:

See my post to Arthur Childress Above. Most First Ladies have been pregnant BEFORE they entered the White House. I challenge you to find ANY pictures of pregnant First Ladies other than perhaps Jackie Kennedy. The ONLY family picture first families owe us are the ones taken while they are in the White House. MAYBE you can find one of Melania Trump, because she lived a more public life before D.C., but I doubt it. I didn’t want pictures taken of me while I was pregnant, it wasn’t my best look. Perhaps it wasn’t Michelle’s best look either, OR perhaps she just wants to keep those pictures in her PRIVATE family collection. It’s HER call, Not ours.

• Arthur Childress on said:

@vdabney Please don’t be deceived by the fool that is impersonating me on this website. I agree with you entirely. As I stated in my original post: Ignore the bile spewed by the racist white troglodytes that troll this site. Peace.

3. Butter Pecan on said:

Pretty simple to shut him up. Someone post a picture of Michelle pregnant l, if not he may have a defendable position. Honestly I have seen pics of her where something non feminine appears in her crotch area. I know you all will hate on me with same vitriol as Mac, but the pics speak for themselves

• Dr. Jones on said:

I’ve seen the same type of pictures of Melania Trump. Neither of the pictures are authentic. Ugly racist people attacking individuals they don’t like.

• Mac Daddy on said:

Wouldn’t that also be true for her book and her ugly, racist attack’s on President Trump? Or do you give her a pass Dr.?

4. The so call mac daddy is definitely JEALOUS of Black People, that’s why he’s always trolling this website to learn what Black People are doing and to keep up on the Good, Great News about Lovely Black People.👍🏾

5. Just Sayin' on said:

Haven’t you all realized that Mac Daddy is a white troll who masquerades on these sites as a black man so that anyone who reads his “thoughts” will respond in anger?! He is just like his idol, Donald Trump, and loves to spread bitterness, discord and controversy in the African-American community. He stoops to insults and spitefulness to get his “points” across. What a pitiful way to live but every time you respond in anger, he gets his jollies. Leave him to stew in his own racist, misogynistic hatred. He and his kind deserve it.

• Arthur Childress on said:

You know, I can’t believe that some Black folks are still reading and actually responding to the vile, ignorant diatribe posted by the white racist troglodytes that squat on this website! IGNORE the bile!

6. Mary William on said:

I agree…MacDaddy should be removed! His/Her comments add nothing to conversations and they are just mean and nasty! BTW, I have two children and not a single photo of me pregnant. Back then, photos weren’t taken every minute.

• Hoodie Tech on said:

It wasn’t the flashbulb area. Cell phones had camera 20 years ago. 2 pregnancies and zero pics. Must admit kind of suspicious. Just sayin’

• vdabney722 on said:

Not suspicious at all. She was pregnant before she entered the White House. WHY would she release pictures of herself when she was pregnant. Many women (like me) don’t take very few, or NO pictures when they’re pregnant. And even if I did, I would not release them to the public. Black people, this is just another RACIST form of “show me your birth certificate”. I know Michelle won’t do it, but if asked she should say, “I’ll release pregnant pictures when all the other recent First Ladies do.

7. Rune Graham on said:

@macdaddy for troll of hate, you love us black folks. Hate is jealous and envy lack of something. Have you slept with a sister or brother, just asking, If you never had any blackness in your life try it you never go back, munch on some blackberries, the juice will never leave your lips

8. Mac Daddy, if you are so negative about any and everything minority, please remove yourself from a forum not meant for your type of negative input!

9. I wasn’t able to carry another child after my son so my husband and I adopted a baby girl and what a blessing we now have a beautiful grand daughter named Ari Bella which means beautiful

10. Mac Daddy on said:

Absolutely NO pictures of her pregnant twice. She is a tranny, many of those pics exist. Hate on the Mac all you want Peeps, but the truth is what it is

• Do you know what IVF MEANS In Vitro fertilization is. Mac Daddy. My sister had this procedure and carried both of her children. Stop hating

• Veronica Dabney on said:

BAW posters, this Mac Daddy is a white racist who has a special hatred for black women. He or she comes here on a regular basis, especially when the subject is a black women and makes statements that are the most vicious racist stereotypes. This is supposed to be a forum for US to share in subjects that interest US, and not to be race baited by a dimwitted knuckle dragger. I suggest that we all contact BAWs administrator and get this bigot banned. We shouldn’t have to go through this here.

• Arthur Childress on said:

I’m trying man, but for the life of me, I can’t find on her our former FLOTUS pregnant. This is really weird. God I don’t want to encourage McFool, but somethis is goin on here