The black Tennessee woman who accused her doctor of calling her “Aunt Jemima” in the exam room is now suing the physician, a year after the allegations first made headlines.

As previously reported, Lexi Carter went to her dermatologist Dr. James Turner last year when she said he called her a racially charged name. “I was just sitting there waiting to be seen,” Carter said. “He had a young assistant trainee, a student with him. And he looked at me and he goes hi Aunt Jemima. You know it took me back a little.”

Carter said Dr. Turner called her Aunt Jemima more than once.

“This was a very devastating thing to her and part of the issue is that it was taken so lightly by the doctor and when given the opportunity to sort of make it better, at least in the beginning, he didn’t do so,” said Carter’s attorney Van Turner.

Carter is asking for damages, just under $2,500 in part to recoup the cost of counseling she sought to cope with the distress.

“She’s asking for an apology, a formal apology,” Turner said. “She’s asking for a measure of relief which would prevent him from doing this in the future and which would you know make him understand.”

Aunt Jemima is the face of pancake mix and syrup and comes from an old Minstrel song “Old Aunt Jemima,” hearkening from the Old South plantation “Mammy” who cooked and nurtured white children on the plantation.

Carter said when Dr. Turner referred to her as Aunt Jemima, it made her feel awful.

“It was an insult, racial, ethnic insult, a joke,” Carter said. “It’s putting me on a level of someone subservient with a smile. Kind of Step n’ Fetch It.”

In 2017, Dr. Turner issued a statement saying he valued Ms. Carter as a patient and “Anything I said that tarnishes that image and my respect for her was a misspoken blunder on my part and was not intended to show disrespect for Ms. Carter. I am very sorry for that misunderstanding.”

That was not enough for Carter, who filed a complaint with the state medical board and a civil action for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK. FOLLOW US ON TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM

Find Out What Your Favorite Celebs Did On Instagram (09/01-09/07)

15 thoughts on “Black Woman Sues Memphis Dermatologist That Called Her ‘Aunt Jemima’

1. QUEEN on said:

I GOT CALLED THAT ONCE BY A PT. OF MINE, OH HO HO, HE WONT CALL ANYBODY ELSE HANDLING HIS CARE THAT. NO BABEE, MAMA DONT PLAY THAT. HE HAD A LOT OF NERVE WITH HIS RAGGEDY AZZ MOUTH AND BEING AT MY MERCY. NOW I DIDNT DO ANYTHING WRONG OR TO HARM HIM BUT HE DIDNT KNOW THEN BUT I BET HE KNOWS NOW. LOL..IGNORANT FOOL. #MAKINGMOREMONEYTHANHECOULDTHINKOFMAKING #POBROKEDOWNASSIDIOT…

2. Justbeingme on said:

And as a hard working 53 year old educated black women I don’t need a handout I work for everything I have. Some of you ignorant young men need to stop stereotyping all black women are not alike and how in the hell is she looking for s handout she was disrespected called out her name it has nothing to do with handouts. He is a Dr. he is supposed to treat her with the same kind of respect that he would treat any of his clients.

• Brotherman on said:

1.two black female doctors disrespected
      By white flight attendants.
      2.a black female civil rights activist
      With a government affiliated organization
      Disrespected by a white flight crew.
      3.a black female Congress woman,is told by a white Ohio State cop she didn’t look like
      A Congress woman.

3. Justbeingme on said:

That is not freedom of speech to call someone out of there name and intentionally. He knew what he was saying I would have put him in his place and reported him. We can’t be passive with some of these white people they have to be made an example of because they are out here thinking it’s okay to disrespect. He is a professional act like one.

4. Amber on said:

Freedom of speech. Just curse the person out and call them names and keep it moving. that means that person did not say no more to you than you said to that person.

5. tedgravely on said:

I guess it’s asking too much for a professional to refer to a client by their given name. Ms Lexi Carter is just so hard to pronounce. Turner is lucky Ms Carter is non confrontational. She still could have called him out by saying, “Do you practice being this ugly; or I don’t know what it is that makes you so stupid but it really works.” If Turner pays the money and apologize, he should consider himself lucky. I googled Turner and it was fertile ground to verbally fire for effect on his reptilian looking arse. People know who to pick on.

• QUEEN on said:

SIT YO RACIST AZZ DOWN SOMEWHERE. GET OFF YAH MOMMA’S TIT AND GET A LIFE YOU LOWLIFE 45 VOTING, REPTILIAN LOOKIN, AINT GOT NO WOMAN HAVING, WISH A BLACK WOMAN WOULD, BUT SHE WON’T, NON TOUCHED JACKING OFF IN THE BASEMENT, BLIND UGLY IDIOT NEEDING SOME LUV BUT WON’T EVER GET IT LOWLIFE…

6. African American Woman on said:

Yeah ok…someone calls you Aunt Jemima and you go back…and you need counseling for that, if it happened…