Zazie Beetz, best known for her role as Van on FX’s “Atlanta” has been cast as Domino in “Deadpool 2,” it was revealed Thursday (March 9).
Star Ryan Reynolds made the announcement by tweeting “domino effect,” along with a photo that spelled out the actress’ name with, of course, dominoes.
In the Marvel comics universe, Domino is a mutant with telekinetic powers. Her partner, Cable, has yet to be cast.
As one of only two survivors of a government experiment called Project: Armageddon, Neena Thurman gained the ability to manipulate luck and became the mercenary, Domino. After working with Cable for a while, Domino eventually joined up with the X-Men to use her abilities for good.
Beetz seemed to confirm her casting by re-tweeting others congratulating her on the role.
“Deadpool 2,” due in theaters March 2, 2018, will be directed by “John Wick” helmer David Leitch, who took over the from Tim Miller after he dropped out last October due to creative differences with Reynolds, according to Variety. Original screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are returning to the pen the sequel.
Fox recently teased footage from the film before showings of Hugh Jackman’s “Logan.” Reynolds later posted the clip — a cut scene from the movie — on his YouTube page.
In “Atlanta,” Beetz’s character Van is the best friend of Donald Glover’s character and the mother of his baby daughter.
10 Black Actresses You Need To Know
1. Amber Stevens WestSource:Amber Stevens West Instagram 1 of 10
2. Aja Naomi KingSource:Aja Naomi King Twitter 2 of 10
3. Alexandra ShippSource:Alexandra Instagram 3 of 10
4. Tessa ThompsonSource:PRPhotos.com 4 of 10
5. Teyonah ParisSource:PRPhotos.com 5 of 10
6. Logan BrowningSource:Logan Browning Instagram 6 of 10
7. Brely EvansSource:Brely Evans 7 of 10
8. Bresha Webb8 of 10
9. Raven Goodwin9 of 10
10. Gugu Mbatha-RawSource:PRPhotos.com 10 of 10
(Photo Source: PR Photos)