Are they parents in extreme denial or just showing their faith through unconditional love? That is the question many have of Yvonne and Zachery Ervin, who made the national news in a way they could have never expected – as the victims of an attempted murder plot masterminded and almost carried out by their two sons. Earlier this month, Cameron 17, and his brother, Christopher, 22, drugged and then attacked their parents at the family home in Snellville, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta.

The brothers also attempted to blow up the house by tampering with the gas lines, but after their father distracted them, she was able to call 911 and stop the attack before it turned fatal. Zachery Ervin was stabbed in the attack and Yvonne appeared to have two Black eyes after she was released from the hospital.

The Ervins have puzzled outsiders who wonder what could have happened in their family that would have motivated the sons to commit such an act. There is no known previous history of violence among any of the family members, although it has been reported that one son said he plotted the attack for years. If the Ervins suspect any motive, they have been quiet about it thus far.

“Our kids had one bad moment,” Zachery Ervin said in an appearance on Good Morning America with his wife. “By no means am I discounting what has happened. I look at my wife. I look at her scars. I look at the things that happened. I look at me.”

Both parents have said that despite the seriousness of their crimes that they have forgiven their sons.

Christopher and Cameron remain in jail and are being held without bail. They have been charged with felony aggravated assault and first-degree arson and both will be charged as adults. Should they be convicted, they could be facing up to 60 years.

Yvonne Ervin, who was able to make the 911 call that saved her and her husband’s lives, said that her children don’t have any history of violent behavior.

“And that’s the crazy part: Our children had prepared dinner for us the night before,” she told Good Morning America. “As teenagers, you know, they have issues with cleaning their room and having attitudes sometimes when you tell them to do something — just like I’m sure every family experiences. That was totally out of character for them. They are not violent. They’ve never gotten into any type of trouble with violence.”

As for those who can’t understand how she can forgive her sons – she says:  “What if it was your son?”

The Ten Most Interesting Little Known Black History Facts

23 thoughts on “Georgia Parents Say Son’s Plot To Kill Them Was ‘One Bad Moment’ [WATCH]

1. I would forgive them and love them. But I would be done. I have custody of two grandsons. I don’t allow my son to see or talk to them, why, I tried he talk them against me, I let him stay for three months on a trial bases he slept, didn’t wash clothes for his kids,didn’t cook do homework,all he wanted to do was go to the park and Mcdonalds I can do that. I know where he is but he can’t come here I have legal custody. I love my son but I don’t care if I ever see him again. I ask God to forgive me and that is all that matters.

2. Fool me once.. Shame on you!! Fool me twice.. Shame on me!! I wouldn’t let them back in my home but I would love from a distance!! As a parent you love unconditionally but there’s no way I’m going to live in my house and not feel safe!! No mam!

3. There is more to the story indeed! The parents know as well! There was mention of an insurance policy when the Mom called the police and was asked what would be the motive! I respect the love they have for their sons but to classify it as a ” bad moment” makes them all look suspect! One never know what goes on behind closed doors!

4. I don’t think we are being told the whole story. In my opinion I think the young men wanted to live normal lives. Living in big pretty houses is not everything. Some time parents set their expectations too high. Some times parents have to back down and create normal lives for their children. So far we have not heard anything from these young mens friends. Did they have friends?

5. NO hair hats !!!!! on said:

I agree that it’s unconditional love. Even if they feel different I am so glad that they did not bash and bad mouth their children on national T.V. More than likely the May have had their moment among husband and wife to say whatever negative, due to emotions, but again so glad they did not vent on live T.V. Besides folks already think negative about our culture anyway. Why give the public any entrainment.

6. chedocrech on said:

@$^%See Here Now,,,,my friend’s aunt makes $81 /hr on the laptop . She has been fired from work for 7 months but last month her pay check was $20818 just working on the laptop for a few hours. look at this web-site+_+_+_+_+_ ►œ►œ►œ► Full Detail Here

7. I just wonder how that first conversation with their sons went after the arrest. Probably a lot of “Momma, Daddy we are sorry (sniff sniff)” Thus the wiping the slate clean from the parents. Seemed to have worked so far for the boys, they just don’t want to be in jail for years. Their planned was foiled and now they want compassion from everyone. I’m not sure what I would do if I was in the parents shoes.

8. Rosco P Coaltrain on said:

The parents are totally in dis-belief that their sons could try to kill them. Even though they came extremely close to doing so. I love my children, but if they were to try and kill me AND their mother but failed only because my wife was able to call the police before they succeeded then they are no longer my children but a menace to society and must be held to pay for their lack of common sense.

9. Diane Fields on said:

You love your children unconditionally but as 2 others said I would love from afar. I would forgive them also and pray that they get help but I would NEVER trust them again.
    The parents also need help to deal with this deveistation.
    My prayers go out to all of you.

10. That is their decision and that’s fine. Forgiven or not I could not sleep under the same roof with them ever. For me that would be like playing in traffic and expecting not to get run over. The one that has wanted to do this since the age of 11 (like the mack man would say) he is the ring leader.

11. The mother ask. What if this were your sons, if they were my sons. I would want them in jail. That doesn’t mean I don’t love them, it means they are dangerous.

12. Betty McCullough on said:

Wow people are so judgemental and mean. Just maybe these parents are searching for answers. Something that makes sense. I know this family and they are not ignorant or stupid. Would it hurt to show a little compassion. They’re trying to heal.and cope. I’m so glad you “know it all” people aren’t God! No one has to agree with their decision to forgive. Just respect it! Ijs

• How is anyone being mean to these people? MOST of the comments, except for Kazie is being respectful and concern for them. Like I said, these boys tried to KILL them. Yes they can forgive (which most of us understand, these are still their children); but to call what these boys did a “bad moment” is understatement.

13. cursing in front of your parents is ONE bad moment. Having a boyfriend/girlfriend in the home and the parents walk in is ONE bad moment. Trying to KILL your parent (but fail because the police got there on time) is UNFORGIVABLE. And one wanted to kill them when he was eleven. I do not care what your parents may or may not have done, NOTHING justify killing them. If you do not like your parents, leave and never deal with them no more.

14. pukugathic on said:

:”>?See Here Now,,,,my friend’s aunt makes $81 /hr on the laptop . She has been fired from work for 7 months but last month her pay check was $20818 just working on the laptop for a few hours. look at this web-site+_+_+_+_+_ ►œ►œ►œ► Full Detail Here

15. These parents are in denial regarding the attempted murder plot by their demented sons.
    Maybe next time the assholes will succeed!!!!!!

16. These parents should encourage the DA to drop all charges, allow the sons back in the home so they can finish the job they started years ago. These parents are a bunch of morons, sometimes it is time to face reality and let reality take over our thoughts. These boys are monsters who plotted to kill them. If they weren’t as ignorant as their parents, they would have killed them.