Hate and racism come in all shapes and sizes.

After Viola Davis won the Emmy for her role as Annalise Keating in How to Get Away with Murder last night, she was bombarded with love, but from others, she got some hate disguised as blessings.

Viola used her platform to let people know that after 67 years of Emmys, she was not taking being the first Black actress to win the award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama lightly. She quoted Harriet Tubman, a role she’s taken up for an HBO biopic, and said that Black actresses need an opportunity to be great.

“The only thing that separates women of color from anyone else is opportunity. You cannot win an Emmy for roles that are simply not there,” she said.

These comments didn’t sit well with many, and if you watch the video of Viola’s speech, you can see many White actors and actresses not clapping or making faces. One actress in particular, General Hospital‘s Nancy Lee Grahn, took to Twitter to send some praise – laced with a bit of jealous racism and hate.

She tweeted:

Ouch! Nancy kept going, saying the Emmys were not the place to take a stance against racial discrimination.

“Im a f–king actress for 40 yrs. None of us get respect or opportunity we deserve. Emmys not venue 4 racial opportunity. ALL women belittled.”

After feeling the wrath of Twitter, Grahn changed her tune:

“I apologize for my earlier tweets and now realize I need to check my own privilege. My intention was not to take this historic and important moment from Viola Davis or other women of color but I realize that my intention doesn’t matter here because that is what I ended up doing. I learned a lot tonight and I admit that there are still some things I don’t understand but I am trying to and will let this be a learning experience for me.”

Do you think she was out of line?

SOURCE: Twitter, Us Weekly | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty

‘General Hospital’ Actress Feels The Wrath Of Twitter After Slamming Viola Davis’ Historic Emmy Speech was originally published on globalgrind.com

Find Out What Your Favorite Celebs Did On Instagram (09/01-09/07)

53 thoughts on “‘General Hospital’ Actress Feels The Wrath Of Twitter After Slamming Viola Davis’ Historic Emmy Speech

1. In answer to the question, “Do I think Nancy Graham’s twitter comment was out of line”, yes she was totally out of line. I do think her apology statement was quite good though. I wonder who wrote it for her. LOL I myself look forward to the day when we no longer have to refer to the nominees as either white or black, but just phenomenal actresses. I am so happy for Viola’s win and probably would have been even happier if Tariji had won. Not b/c they are black, but b/c they are amazing actresses who excelled in awesome roles on shows I watched & loved. I am thrilled with Regina King’s win. I’ve always loved her and she was amazing in this role. And I can’t end this without mentioning another amazing actress I wouldn’t mind seeing win, Kerry Washington on Scandal.

2. Who — the heck is Nancy Lee Grahn and why should we or anyone else care what ahe has to say —- now if Susan Victoria Lucci (born the an American actress, television host, author, singer, and entrepreneur, best known for portraying Erica Kane on the ABC daytime drama All My Children had said such things I would care — but this lady is worst than a has been — because she will never be

• Well said, as to your comment one only has to look at the end of the video. I really like Julia-Louis Dreyfus, but six times winning. Come on man, they have the nerve to complain when one of our women break thru with one.

3. WillowFan on said:

Boy, I’m so happy for Viola Davis, I remember when the promo’s first came out – I was running around trying to mimic her “How to Get Away with Murder” – talk about juicy anticipation. Love, love, love all that you have done Viola. As for Nancy, she don’t matter….

4. Nancy is someone I could just step on an keep walking. She needs to be written out of General Hospital, She will not be miss. She is still back in the dark ages.

5. Adrienne Dixon on said:

Really, this is what happens when the truth comes out….it’s been many many many years and it’s not about race to me it was a humble speech that just never was able to surface so on that note…”BLACK ACTRESS MATTER TOO”….TV got some of these fools spooked…BYE FELICIA’S

6. I’m so sick of white people saying things then apologizing like that makes it okay. She stated what she feels. She’s shown her face; she should get fired from General Hospital. When you are so used to privileges, you don’t view them as privileges; this isn’t a stupid woman, she knew what she was saying. Wendy Williams stated on her show, and I was outraged, that she is tired of black people saying “the first” to win . . . Well Miss Wendy, will not be the first black women talk show host to be successful, is that why she would feel that way? Jealousy peeks its head very often, from all races. I feel if she felt that, as a black woman, she should have kept it to her self.

7. NO hair hats !!!!! on said:

And another thought, Why so surprise and baffled by these jealous evil comments from non blacks. Until the root of white privilege and white supremacy is snatched up from the root and burned, this type chartered will never vanish.

8. This is how white people feel about us. Their ways of thinking and behaving will never change because they are a fearful, hateful, greed filled and jealous group of people. It’s sad that this goes as far back as the birth of Christ Jesus and his crucifixion.

9. Just sad, how white folks actually feel about Black people. But OFAY’s can get Emmy’s all around and one (1) upsets them that much. Well, well, well, guess what, there are more Emmy’s to come. Opportunity is around the corner. The truth either hurts or makes you stronger.

10. msyellarose on said:

Truth is truth, and sometime truth hurts. That tweet just dripped of bitterness and jealousy. I say bravo to Viola for being an absolutely awesome actress and all around class act.

11. I saw the looks on faces when Viola delivered her speech. Shame on the industry that blacks help patronize with our beauty, looks and sex when it gets your an Oscar for some. For those didn’t I applaud you. Whites are always thinking that they are better than us, I’m not surprise by her comment, she is one in a million that thinks like that. Smile Women of Color to all the haters..

12. Poor Nance where were her jealous low self esteem comments when YOUNGER WHITE Jennifer Lawrence was crowned Hollywoods richest actress???? I thought so….someone tell this idiot she’s not a nurse saving lives like my mother!!!

13. Horace Felder Jr on said:

Nancy you are stupit and jealous I will not be looking at genreal hospital any more and I live in Germany and I have been a fan for years.

14. A General Hospital critic, I didn’t even know they were still on the air. I think she is another Erica Kane from All My Children, sour grapes that their career didn’t progress they way they hoped it would.

15. People that are “non-black” will never understand the experiences of Black people…Even though there are those of us who have never experienced racism or discrimination… Even though, there are the majority of us who have never went through the strife, struggles and hardships of the civil rights movement…And none of us, here in 2015, have ever been slaves…However, it doesn’t negate the fact, that “We” as “Black People” have “inherited” the experiences of our fore parents…Passed down from generation to generation to the present…By, the sheer nature of our “skin color, ethnicity, and history/heritage”, we are “bound” to those vestiges, through “societal and historical” remembrances…Any “first” that we “experience”, “achieve” or “accomplish” is historical and monumental by the utter reality that, “Blacks”, historically and even by “writ of law” were never “intended” to achieve nor accomplish such “goals”…So yes, any and every time we get recognized or awarded for anything that “historically” we were not supposed to have “obtained, achieved, or accomplished”, there should be a moment of reflection on where and how far we have come.

16. It is sad that she felt the need to grab her 15 minutes of fame on the back of Viola Davis’s win, but that’s they do. Of course she meant what she said! If you have any balls, stand behind your racist views! Don’t back down and apologize when you get flack from them. Take a page from Viola and be a REAL woman!

17. NO hair hats !!!!! on said:

Well said, to the two that said, Afraid of losing her white privilege and the other one who said, She jealous and hate black women, but she probably love our black men… so true.
    Pretty much I personally do not trust them, I don’t hate them, but I sure do not trust them.

18. Viola Davis is a REAL woman she is not fake or Responsible for her speech she was RIGHT ON!,, most woman of color cannot get a job in this so called hollywood, she deserved and if you noticed she was the only WOman of color in the category. she can say what she wants,,, she has class she is intelligent.. and to pay Respect to the taraji ‘s and gabrielle’s and hally berry’s yes they all deserved to win. it has been 74 years from Hattie to Halle. so there is your answer. 74 years… GROW up people. woman of color have GOd on there side. GOd had to step in … on this one.. Congrad viola you are such a wonderful ROle model for all of us…. GOd bless you!..

19. Nancy is still salty because the one time she actually won an Emmy she tied with Debbie Morgan. I couldn’t believe she had the gall to say that because Viola is considered an elite actress she’s never faced racism. I was even more shocked that as a fellow ABC employee she would bash an actress from the network. I won’t be surprised if her character is put on hiatus soon.

20. When is it a time to talk about race? We will always talk about race even when we are passed on. The reason why is because its getting worse. She did not want to here it because she does not know how viola davis and many like her feel or going through. #whenisitatimetotalkaboutrace

21. Viola Davis spoke her truth so beautifully including reference to the old and the new actresses and why not in the place where black women have been overlooked for their incredible talent for years – Nancy is a bitter soap opera actress and she said exactly what she meant – her apology was only because of the amount of backlash that she received

22. R A Freeman on said:

I think Viola Davis’ comments were right on point. Nancy Lee Graham can look over the General Hospital set and see it hasn’t changed much if at all over the last 40 years. She’s comfortable with the lie that “there just aren’t any black female” talent that can do what she does. Truth is there are black females that could do her role and do it better than her. Nancy Lee Graham is afraid to lose her white privilege status to a black female who is equally as talented as she is. Let’s “keep it 100”.

23. Basically she just said what the majority of white people think. I don’t watch the Emmys, the Oscars or any of that crap because it’s NOT an even playing field. Viola Davis picked the right time and forum to acknowledge the lack of diversity in the industry. Period!!!

24. Zerkeise on said:

The point here is that we are still doing “the first black…..”. Even though we are happy about it, “we”, just like the white people, are tired of hearing it. Both sides think we should be satisfied by now. But we are still catching up. So we gotta do what we gotta do.

25. sonijack on said:

*)(*(**()(*)*(**)))my mother makes $84 an hour on the internet . She has been out of work for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $19451 just working on the internet for a few hours.
    Visit Website See More

26. Nancy meant every word she said, she only tried to recap because she had no other choice. Viola Davis is a classy lady, Juilliard graduate, Tony winner and Oscar nominated. I loved her speech, she said just enough. We know who controls most the movies and TV shows. We have made progress due to more black writers, producers and directors but we have a long way to go.

27. sonijack on said:

Visit Website See More

28. I don’t watch those award shows. This hefer is jealous of black women. But she probably love our black men. Who cares what this Hefner think. She can’t act. Check her out on GH. She sucks. Will somebody tell me why Julia dryfess has won 6 awards. She’s an average actress at best. It shouldn’t have taken this long for a black women to win a lead actress awards.

29. John Q Public on said:

She stated publicly what a significant number of whites and other “persons” of color think about black people. Having said that, blacks need to stop catching feelings when whites express their true feelings. They don’t love your black ass!

• Cheryl J on said:

Unfortunatley you’re right John Q. Public, we need to open our eyes and realize that many White people simply “tolerate” Blacks in all aspects of life because they have to…if not for the Civil Rights Act and other Federal mandates, Black people in America would still be living in a ‘Jim Crow’ society SOME White People would turn back the hands of time if they could…very pathetic, scared people…this soap actress is just a jealous hater who wished she had a 1/3 of the talent Viola Davis has in her pinky. SHE’s a LOSER who is stuck in Soap Opera Land…

30. Like the saying goes-“If you have nothing good to say, don’t say nothing”!!!!!

This bitch as most if not the majority of Whites are simply Jealous of African-Americans.
    We are a STRONG/RESILIENT tribe!!!!–whereas they are weak as water!!!!!

31. Nancy Lee Graham is stating what white folks feel about Black people: “Jealousy.”. It is the reason they continuously stop at no end to keep black people down, because they know black people have the ” potential” to succeed if given the chance; remove “all obstacles” that whites have created in this country.