Who knew an interaction with a police officer and a group of Black people could end in a refreshing discussion and not violence.
A group of people who were all a part of the Black Youth Project 100, a youth-centered black activist group, were recently pulled over by the police. The group had just left an event on Princeton’s campus and the (Black) officer who stopped them, told them they had a taillight out. Upon inspection, they realized they didn’t.
After the officer followed them to their Nassau Hotel, the group expressed that they felt racially profiled. The officer insisted that he wasn’t trying to criminalize the Black youths and said that his feelings were hurt at the accusation. The officer offered the young people free parking as an apology, which ended up sparking a healthy conversation about racial profiling and justice.
In the above video, you can see the group of students chatting with the officer about why his actions were interpreted as racial profiling and why said actions hurt them. “You guys have a responsibility to protect and serve,” 24-year-old Devin Darrington-Ward can be heard telling the officer. “As Black youth we don’t feel like we get that level of protection; we don’t get that benefit of the doubt … like regular White students running around Princeton campus [do].”
Police brutality is a horrific trend that plagues Black youth more than any other demographic. According to reports, police officers, security guards, or self-appointed vigilantes killed at least 313 African-Americans in 2012 according to a recent study. This means a Black person was killed every 28 hours. The frequency of these incidents against our Black youth make this a far-too-common occurrence almost expected, so when this video surfaced, I was not only shocked, but my faith in humanity was renewed just a tiny bit.
Watch it and tell me what you think!
Check Out This Gallery Of The Most Racist Moments From Last Year, Wonder If This Year Will Have More?!
The Most Racist Moments Of 2013
1. The Most Racist Moments Of The YearSource: 1 of 23
2. Black ESPN Sportscaster Receives Racist Letter From A ‘Fan’ [PHOTO]Source: 2 of 23
3. White Man Slaps Baby & Tells Mom To ‘Shut That N*gger Baby Up’Source: 3 of 23
4. Dear, Lisa Lampanelli: You Will Never Be A N*gga, So Stop Saying ItSource: 4 of 23
5. LL Cool J ‘Accidental Racist’ Lyrics: ‘In Its Proper Context, It Makes Sense”Source: 5 of 23
6. Twitter Reactions To Jamie Foxx’s Trayvon Martin T-Shirt Prove Racists Love Still The InternetSource: 6 of 23
7. 11-Year-Old Mexican-American Singer Taunted By Racist Tweets After Singing National AnthemSource: 7 of 23
8. Wait, What?! Paula Deen Wants Slaves Serving At Her Dinner Party + 3 Of Her Most Racist QuotesSource: 8 of 23
9. Lies Racists Tell: Paula Deen’s Sons Claim She’s No Racist & Even Taught Them Black HistorySource: 9 of 23
10. Stacey Dash Defends Paula Deen + 5 Other Non-Black Celebs Who’ve Used The N-WordSource: 10 of 23
11. WTF?! Rush Limbaugh Decides That He Can Now Say, ‘N*gga’ [VIDEO]Source: 11 of 23
12. Justin Bieber Drops ‘N-Word’ On New Track?Source: 12 of 23
13. Salon Writer Calls Eric Holder President Obama’s “Inner Ni***r!” Did He Go Too Far?Source: 13 of 23
14. New Cheerios Commercial Starring An Interracial Couple Causes Big StirSource: 14 of 23
15. Italy’s First Black Minister Attacked & Called A ‘Symbol Of A Hypocritical, Do-Gooding’Source: 15 of 23
16. First Indian Miss America Receives Support After Racist BacklashSource: 16 of 23
17. WTF?! 21-Year-Old White Girl Boasts Racist African Bday Party On Facebook [PHOTOS]Source: 17 of 23
18. Don Lemon, Your Mother’s Advice To You As A Child Will Not Save The World From Racism [VIDEO]Source: 18 of 23
19. Sorry Not Sorry: Barneys Offers Their ‘Deepest Apologies’ By Hiring A Civil Rights ExpertSource: 19 of 23
20. Kanye West Gives Middle Finger To Black Community: Wears Confederate Flag To BarneysSource: 20 of 23
21. GOP Thanks Rosa Parks For Ending Racism & ‘Black Twitter’s’ Responds With JokesSource: 21 of 23
22. New Miss France Celebrates Her Mixed-Race Heritage In The Midst Of Racist BacklashSource: 22 of 23
23. The N-Word Vs. African American?! TMZ Launches Poll On What To Call Black People Because Of Suge Knight's CommentSource: 23 of 23
BEAUTIFUL NEWS: What This Police Officer Did To These Black Youth Will Amaze You [VIDEO] was originally published on hellobeautiful.com