NEW YORK (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton gave Jon Stewart no hints about whether she will run for president, but acknowledged during Tuesday’s taping of “The Daily Show” that the speculation surrounding her possible candidacy has become “a cottage industry.”
Stewart introduced Clinton by saying, “She’s here solely for one reason: to publicly and definitively declare her candidacy for president of the United States … I think.”
That proved not to be true.
The two moved on to a series of national and international issues Clinton faced as secretary of state, including the violence and tension between Israel and the Palestinians.
“We’re really in a terrible dilemma,” she said, noting there has been an offer of a cease-fire brokered by Egypt that Israel accepted but that was rejected by Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip.
“Part of what I see Hamas doing is, their identity comes from being the violent resistance,” she said.
Stewart also plugged Clinton’s new book, “Hard Choices”, calling it an “eyewitness view” to her four years as chief U.S. diplomat.
But he kept returning to everyone’s main question: the 2016 presidential race, joking, “I think I speak for everybody when I say, no one cares (about the book), they just want to know if you’re running for president.”
He then took a different tack to try to get a hint from her about her political plans, asking whether she prefers an office with corners, or without them — like the Oval Office.
She didn’t go for that bait either.
The 66-year-old former first lady is well aware of the spotlight on her as a potential presidential hopeful, with pundits parsing her every word and books and articles attacking her past actions.
“I’ve been amazed at what a cottage industry it is, and so, I kind of expect it would continue, so I’m not really paying a lot of attention,” she deadpanned.
However, when asked about her recent statement that her family was “dead broke” when they left the White House, she conceded, “That was an inartful use of words” — given the tens of millions of dollars she, her husband and their daughter Chelsea reportedly have earned with just their speeches.
The memoir of her time as secretary of state is No. 2 on The New York Times’ nonfiction best-seller list. The hardcover is right behind the No. 1 best-seller, Edward Klein’s “Blood Feud,” which details the alleged animosity between the Clinton and Obama families.
Clinton last appeared on “The Daily Show” during her 2008 presidential campaign.
The show aired Tuesday.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
(Photo Source: AP)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25