Photo blog Humans of New York gave everyone another example of how being a young mother does not mean the death of your dreams!
The blog is the brain child of a woud be photo-journalist Brandon Stanton. He takes pictures of random people around NYC and shares their stories on Humans of New York’s official site and social media . One particular post has captured the hearts of thousands as the unidentified woman below shared her story.
“I had a child when I was sixteen,” she began. “I got kicked out of high school because of all the absences. My family and community pretty much wrote me off.”
The woman didn’t let the rejection defeat her, and she got a job at a sporting goods store. It wasn’t long before she went from the retail to desk job. “Soon I was able to get a job as a receptionist at a tax company, and they gave me enough responsibilities that I learned how to do taxes, she explained. “Eventually I learned enough to become an associate.”
After climbing the ladder at one organization, she had the chance to make a lateral move that would propel her career to a whole new level!
The unnamed lady was later offered a position at a smaller company with less pay. It did, however, make her responsible for all of the company’s operational books. Before she knew it, she had her boss’ job! “It was less money but I wanted that experience so I took the risk,” she recalled. “I’m so glad I did, because six months later, the controller of that company left and I was given that position.”
Even though she was doing the job one thing stood in the way of officially taking on the job, and she didn’t think twice about overcoming that obstacle. “They told me they couldn’t officially call me the controller because I didn’t have a college degree. So I finished my degree 5 months ago—just to make it official!” she explained.
“So after having a child at sixteen, I made it all the way to controller of a company, without even having a college degree,” she said to sum things up.”Can you believe that? Honestly, I’ve been waiting to tell that story so long.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25