A Florida judge ruled that Keenan Finkelstein, 24, will not be able to use the state’s controversial Stand Your Ground law to get charges dropped for shooting a deputy, reports PNJ.com.
On March 20, 2013, Officer Sedrick Johnson was responding to a robbery call when he approached the home of suspect Jonathan Chappell, 24. Finkelstein admits to smoking marijuana and drinking with Chappell right before the shooting.
Johnson claims that he walked from behind a tree and announced that he was a police officer when Finkelstein exited the garage. Police claim that Finkelstein then pulled out his gun and shot Johnson before attempting to flee. But Finkelstein tells a different story.
Read more from RT.com:
Johnson said that he saw someone, later identified as Finkelstein, come out of the home’s garage. Johnson said he came from behind the tree with his weapon drawn while announcing himself to be an employee of the Sheriff’s Office and for Finkelstein to show his hands.
Johnson said that Finkelstein then ducked, reached for his waistband, drew a pistol and shot him in the left leg.
On Friday, Gaddy said Finkelstein — gripped in paranoia from smoking marijuana — shot Johnson, who then returned fire as he ran back across the yard toward a porch for cover.
“The last thing Sgt. Johnson wanted was to get shot that night,” Gaddy said. “There’s no evidence that shows Sgt. Johnson goes around firing his gun at unarmed people.”
But Finkelstein attorney Ralph Parnell III said that story was flawed.
Johnson, he said, had not announced that he was a law enforcement officer when he told Finkelstein to show his hands. Parnell backed his argument with discrepancies between Johnson’s testimony, deposition and another deputies’ depositions.
The lack of notification combined with the fact that Johnson was wearing his dark green deputy’s uniform in a poorly lit area at night and that he was pointing a flashlight — attached to the barrel of a gun no less — at Finkelstein’s face made it impossible to identify him as a law enforcement officer, Parnell said.
He said Johnson was simply a “disembodied voice in the dark” at that point.
“I would argue at that point (Johnson) has committed an aggravated assault himself,” Parnell said. “He was in a dicey situation of his own making.”
Finkelstein’s trial is set to begin in early April.
Read more at PNJ.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25