Tequila Forshee, 12, was gunned down Wednesday night when bullets pierced the windows of her grandmother’s Miami Gardens home, reports NBC Florida.
At approximately 11:30, a gunman — or gunmen — opened fire on the home while Tequila was sitting on a couch getting her hair done.
She was later pronounced dead at the scene.
“We’ve got a lot of Trayvons out here,” said Glenn Forshee, Tequila’s dad said. “We’ve got a lot of black on black crime. We’ve got a lot of ignorant BS, and we ain’t standing for the BS.”
“My oldest daughter got grazed in the arm with a bullet,” he said. “My kids watched (their) little sister die. (They’re) torn apart.”
The grandmother, Tawanda Frazier-Brown, was shot in the leg and released Thursday.
Read more from NBC Florida:
“I felt something in my leg, I thought I just got hit by glass or something,” Frazier-Brown said. She said she believes her son may have been the target of the gunman or gunmen.
“This is gang-related, my niece was shot in the head,” aunt Cherina Forshee said. “If anybody knows anything, has seen anything, please give the police a call, the family is just going really crazy, and we appreciate your help and support.”
Glenn Forshee arrived heartbroken to the home where his daughter died. Adding to the pain, he said, is knowing his three other children could only watch helplessly.
On Thursday afternoon, Miami Gardens Police went door to door looking for answers, while the 12-year-old’s father remembered the last time he saw her.
“She gave me a kiss and she said, ‘goodnight daddy’. As she walked out I told her, ‘I love you’. She said, ‘I love you too daddy,’” he said. “And that was the last physical moment I had with my baby.”
Two women from the RIT Foundation, a support group for families of murdered children, led a prayer vigil for the family Thursday night.
“Children at 12 years old are not supposed to be dying of gun violence and it’s happening too often in our community and we’re just here to offer words of comfort to the family, being that we’ve had to walk the same path. We had to cry the same tears,” Queen Brown said.
Frazier-Brown said that she wished that she had been the one killed because her granddaughter had her entire life ahead of her:
“The last thing she told me was, ‘Thank you, Grandma, for buying all my schoolclothes. I love you.’”
Read more at NBC Florida.
Unfortunately, this incident is not unsual.
As previously reported by NewsOne, Andrew Thomas, 21, and his one-year-old son Drew Jackson were visiting family in East Oakland, California when they were fatally shot in their sleep Wednesday morning, reports ABC7 News.
Father and son had traveled from Fresno, California to visit family and attend the funeral of a cousin, Al Rivera, 18, who was shot and killed last weekend. Thomas and baby Drew were asleep when at least one gunman entered the backyard of his aunt’s home at around 3:00 a.m. and sprayed the house with bullets.
“He was still breathing when they took him up out of here,” said aunt Konya Baylis of the baby. “I called 911, and she was telling me to stay on the phone and then he was still kinda breathing and then he turned over then he laid down and blood was kinda coming out of his mouth.”
Read more on Drew’s story here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31