Tequila Forshee, 12, was gunned down Wednesday night when bullets pierced the windows of her grandmother’s Miami Gardens home, reports NBC Florida.
At approximately 11:30, a gunman — or gunmen — opened fire on the home while Tequila was sitting on a couch getting her hair done.
She was later pronounced dead at the scene.
“We’ve got a lot of Trayvons out here,” said Glenn Forshee, Tequila’s dad said. “We’ve got a lot of black on black crime. We’ve got a lot of ignorant BS, and we ain’t standing for the BS.”
“My oldest daughter got grazed in the arm with a bullet,” he said. “My kids watched (their) little sister die. (They’re) torn apart.”
The grandmother, Tawanda Frazier-Brown, was shot in the leg and released Thursday.
Read more from NBC Florida:
“I felt something in my leg, I thought I just got hit by glass or something,” Frazier-Brown said. She said she believes her son may have been the target of the gunman or gunmen.
“This is gang-related, my niece was shot in the head,” aunt Cherina Forshee said. “If anybody knows anything, has seen anything, please give the police a call, the family is just going really crazy, and we appreciate your help and support.”
Glenn Forshee arrived heartbroken to the home where his daughter died. Adding to the pain, he said, is knowing his three other children could only watch helplessly.
On Thursday afternoon, Miami Gardens Police went door to door looking for answers, while the 12-year-old’s father remembered the last time he saw her.
“She gave me a kiss and she said, ‘goodnight daddy’. As she walked out I told her, ‘I love you’. She said, ‘I love you too daddy,’” he said. “And that was the last physical moment I had with my baby.”
Two women from the RIT Foundation, a support group for families of murdered children, led a prayer vigil for the family Thursday night.
“Children at 12 years old are not supposed to be dying of gun violence and it’s happening too often in our community and we’re just here to offer words of comfort to the family, being that we’ve had to walk the same path. We had to cry the same tears,” Queen Brown said.
Frazier-Brown said that she wished that she had been the one killed because her granddaughter had her entire life ahead of her:
“The last thing she told me was, ‘Thank you, Grandma, for buying all my schoolclothes. I love you.’”
Read more at NBC Florida.
Unfortunately, this incident is not unsual.
As previously reported by NewsOne, Andrew Thomas, 21, and his one-year-old son Drew Jackson were visiting family in East Oakland, California when they were fatally shot in their sleep Wednesday morning, reports ABC7 News.
Father and son had traveled from Fresno, California to visit family and attend the funeral of a cousin, Al Rivera, 18, who was shot and killed last weekend. Thomas and baby Drew were asleep when at least one gunman entered the backyard of his aunt’s home at around 3:00 a.m. and sprayed the house with bullets.
“He was still breathing when they took him up out of here,” said aunt Konya Baylis of the baby. “I called 911, and she was telling me to stay on the phone and then he was still kinda breathing and then he turned over then he laid down and blood was kinda coming out of his mouth.”
Read more on Drew’s story here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30