Somewhere God and Mother Nature are cracking up. I mean, a day doesn’t go by without us getting another piece of evidence that proves just how challenging it is to maintain a successful male/female relationship. As black women, the numbers already are working against us if we’re hoping to find a single, black man.
And now this:
New research commissioned by Nickelodeon UK to mark the launch of a new show has pinpointed the exact age that boys mature completely is 43 – eleven years after women.
And since I have an um … penchant for younger men, I see now, I may have to make some concessions here and there.
It also means that as the mother of boys -10 and 11 – I could be raising boys in perpetuity, and that’s not good at all.
There are just some things I don’t understand.
There were two girls in my family so I wasn’t nearly prepared for the boy stuff that my sons have introduced me to. I’m still trying to figure out why passing gas is funny and I dread approaching the day when it switches from begging them to take a shower to wondering why they’re taking three a day.
That being said, I’ve gone through great pains to prep my boys for adulthood and I personally think their prospective wives will be pretty pleased with the job I’ve done.
They pick up their dirty clothes, put their dishes in the sink, take out the garbage, lay out their clothes and even can prepare a few meals on their own.
Why should I expect any less from a mate?
While the article has a lot of information that I think hits the nail on the head, I’m not buying this study completely.
There have just got to be some happy mediums out there, guys who are fun, energetic, hard working and sexy who have put away childish things for good … or at least the majority of the time.
So, yeah, I’ll laugh at some bathroom humor and do a load of laundry – but I will never wash a pair of Sponge Bob Pajamas for any man with body hair, including my sons. That’s just a deal breaker.
But sadly, some women seem to believe having a silly man-child is their fate.
Eight out of ten believe that men ‘never stop being childish’ – with breaking wind, burping, eating fast food in the early hours and playing videogames – while 46 percent of women have had a relationship in which they felt they had to mother their partner a bit too much.
If there’s a bright side to this story, I guess is the idea that immaturity helps men bond better with children. But even kids lose respect for a male adult who doesn’t know when it’s time to man up.
The news is full of stories of what happens to parents of both sexes who think being friends with their children is a good thing. Sadly, Michael Jackson and Bobby Brown are just two examples of what can happen when men refuse to grow up.
This Father’s Day it would be nice if every dad recognized his role as leader, provider, confidant and occasional buddy to his children.
What a gift that would be for all of us!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31