Baltimore Raven Jacoby Jones may not have gone home with another shiny trophy this year but one thing he always can count on is the support of his mother, Emily London Jones. Throughout his weeks on “Dancing With the Stars,” which was ultimately won by “American Idol” singer Kellie Pickler and her partner Derek Hough, Jones was there, whether she was calling the judges “haters” or waving her own bling-festooned paddle. Jones, a New Orleans native, is well known by her son’s teammates for her Cajun cooking, but this season on “DWTS” she was almost as popular as he was. Despite the loss, Jones is happy with her son’s Top 3 finish.
“I’m well. I’m happy after packing all of Jacoby’s things to get him back to Baltimore,” Jones told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “I was surprised. I really thought he would take it all. At the end of the day it’s bitter and sweet but Jacoby had a good time and I did too – of course you all saw that.”
Jacoby, 27, told “Dancing With the Stars” host Brooke Burke-Chavet that his dance training was as tough, if not tougher, than football.
“Well, out of all my trainers that I’ve had, I’ve never had a woman that’s pushed me like she did,” Jones said of his partner, Karina Smirnoff.
“So, when I go back (to the NFL), all this gracefulness, footwork, everything…I’ll be catching the ball like this,” he said, showing off his newly-found pirouette skills.
Both Jones’ are heading back to Baltimore, but Sybil wondered if reality show producers have come calling Jones for a show she entitled “That’s My Son, Leave Him Alone!” Jones’ relationship with the judges was made obvious on national TV when she mouthed her feelings about the scores her son was receiving.
“I had no idea that the moment I called them ‘hater hater hater’ that it would be on national TV, because I thought I was saying it really to myself. But lo and behold , they picked it up. [From that point on] they were across the stage from me and we looked eye and eye and of course I told them ‘I got my eyes on you.’ But they constantly watched me because they didn’t know what to think next or what would happen.”
We will likely see more of Ms. Jones on the Ravens sideline this year as they defend their Super Bowl title. Aside from her son’s biggest cheerleader, Jones is a success story in her own right. As a single mom, she attended Xavier University heading back to school when Jacoby was 3, ultimately earning her master’s degree. She encouraged Jacoby to return to his alma mater, Lane College, a small HBCU in Tennessee to get his degree. She says what she learned as a single mom is that you can’t raise a child alone.
“I’m single mom but it takes a village to raise a child and that’s the philosophy I had. He has had so many wonderful people around him and he does respect them. That’s what makes the big difference in today’s world.You can respect others and others respect you. It all comes through raising your boys the right way.”
After settling her son back at home in Baltimore, Jones heads back to Xavier University where she works in the Financial Aid department.
“I’m fast-talking, fast-walking, getting things done on that campus. I may be a twitch of light when I pass by people. I’m always on the move.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25