In the 70’s, Flip Wilson was the hottest Black comedian on TV with “The Flip Wilson Show.” His show featured the hot Black talents of the era, everyone from Lena Horne to the Jackson 5 who often paired up to perform with the white stars of the day. That and his famous characters Geraldine and Reverend Leroy were the inspiration for comics to come like Martin and Dave Chappelle.
His son, Kevin Wilson and a co-author, Kevin Cook have joined forces on a new bio “FLIP: The Inside Story of TV’s First Black Superstar” which is out today. His son, Kevin, says that his father was TV’s first groundbreaking comic. He even made the cover of “Time Magazine” as America’s first black superstar.
“Before [The Flip Wilson Show] in the 1970’s, Black television hosts were non-existent,” Wilson told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “Richard Pryor was one of the writers on the show. Louis Armstrong was on the show and on the very first show he had James Brown. He was the first Black television host to own his own show in history. He was the first Black male to dress up as a woman and make that character famous throughout the world.”
Wilson’s story should make a great biopic. The Jersey City, NJ native born Clerow Wilson was the 13th of 24 children who grew up in foster care for a portion of his life. He joined the Air Force at age 16 and got his first big TV break through fellow comic Redd Foxx. Wilson, through his On Golden Pond Film partnership with Atmosphere Entertainment is currently narrowing down an actor to play his famous father. Chris Tucker, Tracey Morgan and Cuba Gooding, Jr. are all being considered to play the comic icon in a film based on the book.
“This could be someone’s really breakthrough role. We’re looking at Oscar-type stuff with this project,” Wilson says. “The book is very, very personal to me. I think a lot of people have forgotten who he is.”
“The Flip Wilson Show” was on from 1970-1974. By that time, Wilson was the #2 show on TV, drawing in 40 million viewers. Wilson left the show after gaining custody of his four children and being asked to make budget cuts on his show. The famed comedian died of liver cancer in 2009 at age 64.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25