Relationships ain’t easy for anyone but in the Black community they are often challenged by racism, sexism and financial pressures. Those themes are examined in a new book “Where Did Our Love Go?: Love and Relationships in the African-American Community.” The book is a collection of essays that cover being single, married and divorced from a wide variety of male and female writers of varying ages, education, socioeconomic backgrounds and experiences. Editor Gil Robertson IV, a veteran journalist who is also the editor of “Not in My Family: AIDS in the African-American Community and “Family Affair: What It Means to Be an African-American Today” says he hopes the book will inspire constructive dialogue about Black love and relationships.
“I wanted to do this book because of the need that we (the black community) have to address the how and why of what’s going on with our relationships. We all know the issues, so what i really wanted to uncover was what we can do (collectively and individually) to make better choices with regards to our life partners. Featuring an amazing group of contributors (including many of my journalist colleagues), “Where Did Our Love Go” provides a comprehensive look at where we are in terms of love and relationships and they offer great suggestions for where we’re going.”
Stories like ones from beauty blogger Tia Williams whose essay “Found Love In A Hopeless Place” explores a relationship with a younger man, and Velma Pace whose essay “It’s Not Where You’re From…It’s Where You’re At,” details her long but ultimately triumphant journey to love, are part of what makes the book special. R&B singer Anthony Hamilton and his wife Tarsha Hamilton submit essays from their own unique viewpoints of their marriage. By including the spectrum of Black experience for the single, the newly married, the longterm married and the happily and unhappily divorced, “Where Did Our Love Go” provides a needed overview of contemporary Black love. With reality shows that mine our dysfunctional relationships ever more popular, this book of honest essays about real people should help contribute to a clearer view not just of where Black love is, but where it’s going.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25