Tom, Sybil, and Jay Anthony. As you well know, basketballs best and brightest; from the rising starts to the legends were in Houston to celebrate the sport’s biggest showcase. As we look back at this years NBA All-Star weekend it is important to take a few lessons on how each of us can become an all-star. There are 5 lessons I want to share
Lesson 1. Cleveland Cavalier Kyrie Irving won the three-point contest, reminding us that you can make it work even when your dream seems further away than what’s comfortable. Keep your eye on the prize and shooting for victory while others believe the dream is too far away and just hold the ball.
Lesson 2. Kobe Bryant blocked Labron James twice towards the end of the game teaching us that you can be having the worst season ever, but when faced against the best player in the game prove that you can go toe-to-toe with anyone. How many of you who are listening are having a terrible start to 2013. Far worse than you could have imagined? But every time the giant comes to take you out – you look it in the eye and say not on me today. Stay encouraged knowing that if you can make it to the game our can do more than survive…you can win.
Lesson 3. Chris Paul, of the LA Clippers, was the first solo true point guard to win a solo MVP since Magic Johnson in 1992. He taught us that you don’t have to be the one who scores to be the one who makes the difference. If you are one of those servants out there who makes it possible for others to score, for others to have a chance to win in life, you may not get the headline, but you are an all-star this morning.
Lesson 4. Michael Jordon showed us that legacy is king. He has not played an NBA Game or had major presence at an All-Star Weekend in over a decade. But on his 50th birthday weekend he had the biggest brand of the event. The lesson? Your Legacy will always speak louder than your voice. To those who produce…keep pushing. Your contribution will inspire generations to come.
Lesson 5. Beyoncé showed us that no matter how talented you are nothing trumps work ethic. While for the second time in a month she proved she was bigger than a sporting event launching a HBO special and an Oprah interview on a weekend that would send lesser brands running for cover. She knew that being an NBA All-Star is not about the National Basketball League, but the NBA stands for Never Back Away from a challenge. And Tom there are some TJMS listeners who have never sold out a show, and wont ever meet Oprah, but the work they put in when nobody is watching will open doors that others say are impossible.
So to every NBA All-Star We salute you. Cause you don’t have to ball to be brilliant. I’m Jeff Johnson and That’s My Truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30