Amidst the pumpkin, superhero, and princess costumes, Halloween can become an aid for ignorance to emerge its ugly head through racially-offensive costumes.
Some people choose to reinforce cultural stereotypes by portraying a sombrero wearing, fast-speaking illegal alien, a sexualized Geisha, or purchasing dread wigs and other ethnic type extensions to mock black culture.
Last year, students at Ohio University were fed up with these types of mischaracterizations and created an organization to fight against it called “Student Teaching Against Racism” also known as STARS. The group’s campaign “We’re a Culture, not a Costume,” raises awareness through campus posters to emphasize how offensive and harmful stereotyped depictions can be.
STARS’ President Sarah Williams said the campaign was warmly received by about 80 percent of the student body. However, she said ten percent of students reacted negatively which she believes is “rooted in ignorance and white privilege.”
The unfortunate reality is that there are too many people who believe STARS’ efforts can dampen their fun rather than considering their detrimental influence on others.
Many people who participate in racially-offensive costuming often find ways to rationalize it. For example, a white person who may dress up as a blackface Barack Obama or in a Lil Wayne costume might think it is acceptable if they have black friends who find it entertaining by taking photos with them.
David J. Leonard, an associate professor and chair of the department of critical culture, gender, and race studies at Washington State University believes these types of passive sentiments effect how cultures view and interact with each other beyond the Halloween season.
"It just reflects how we talk about race in contemporary society," he says. "It reflects the overall belief that race doesn't matter, or that it only matters when people of color — who are accused of being overly sensitive, or 'playing the race card' — bring it up," Leonard said.
Often the common reaction to this type of reprimand is “But I’m not racist.” However, Leonard feels that this response focuses more on “Who you are” rather than “What you did.” It becomes identity based rather than action-based when participants don’t realize the influential power behind their actions.
"There's this sense of 'I don't know why people have to make it a big deal,' " said Leslie Picca, associate professor of sociology at the University of Dayton in Ohio. Picca’s book Two Faced Racism: Whites in the Backstage and Frontstage evaluates the misrepresentation of white racial attitudes. The book also notes how difficult it is for young adults to see the implications of stereotypical costuming because they believe they are living in a colorblind world.
College students are not the only ones at fault. Stephanie Troutman, an assistant professor of women, gender, African, and African-American studies at Berea College believes adults are just as guilty.
Troutman said that the freedom of expression has clouded the harmful truths behind these actions that appear to be innocently created. She explained that within the discussion of these issues “the context, the history, and the significant matter,” is often lost.
As Halloween party-goers prepare for the holiday, Leonard hopes that “offendees” will take a stand to dismiss this behavior rather than “hiding behind a mask of ignorance about racism in America.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30