A man’s ear itching problem led doctors to find mites in his ear.
The 70-year-old man in Taiwan reported feeling a sense of fullness in his ear without any hearing lost or discharge.
Doctors discovered mite eggs and mites crawling in his ear canal. The medical report identified the insects as house-dust mites known as Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus.
Dr. Ian Stoper, the director of ontology at the New York Head and Neck Institute at Lenox Hill Hospital, classified the rare mite condition as otoacariasis.
"It's much more common to see a cockroach in the ear," Storper said. He added that in many of those cases, cockroaches are already dead in their ear. However, Dr. Stoper said that he’s only seen two cases involving mites.
Dr. Stoper reported that insects become stuck in the ear as a result of their inability to walk backward. When the insects are alive, patient symptoms include hearing buzzing sounds in addition to pain.
Doctors recorded a video of the Taiwanese man’s ear showing swollen ear tissue and debris in his ear canal.
Dr. Richard Nelson, vice chair of emergency medicine at Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center said that after seeing cases of mosquitos, gnats, and other insects in a patient’s ear he finds it is easier to tell them after the insects have been removed.
He said that in one particular case, a woman panicked when she found out a cockroach was in her ear before a removal procedure.
"She was really freaked out," Nelson said. "Now, I just say, I think I see the problem, I'm going to put some stuff in your ear," and tell them about it after the cockroach is out.”
Dr. Nelson reported that some patients, however, surprisingly remain calm during the diagnosis. One of his patients admitted that he’s had a cockroach in his ear before.
"Patients with cockroaches in their ear always show up at 2 a.m. — they wake up with sudden onset of ear pain," he said. He mentioned that most of the late night cases involved bugs crawling in their ears while sleeping.
Treatments for the condition involve irrigating the ear with oil and alcohol. Occasionally doctors will use an anesthetic as well as tiny forceps to remove a critter.
"It's very important to pull out the whole thing," Storper said. "If you leave legs, you can get a bacterial infection. They're dirty, they've been crawling everywhere," he said.
The Taiwanese man was given eardrops containing antifungal and antibacterial agents as well as anti-inflammatory medicine. Doctors reported that his symptoms went away two days later.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31