Is there any way to take a frugal vacation this summer?
Travelers are in luck, because there’s a sea-change afoot working in their favor. The digital age has ushered in a new mentality of collaborative consumption which hinges on the idea that you don’t have to own to have access to a lovely home or a great car. One popular website, airbnb.com, is capitalizing on the new “sharing economy.” Airbnb.com connects homeowners to “guests” who pay a fee for a short-term stay in a spare room or an entire home. The company started less than five years ago and is already estimated to be worth more than a billion dollars.
You can rent anything from a treehouse to a mansion to a spare room. The upside for travelers is considerable savings: A one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan with a full kitchen and bath is frequently less than a hotel and lets the tourist play the role of the local.
So that means travelers can rent out their homes out while they’re away?
This is where is gets a little trickier. First, do you own your home? If you’re already renting, chances are that renting your apartment to someone else—however short-term the agreement— would violate your lease. Also, be sure you understand the tax implications of your earnings. Airbnb helps report owners’ federal income to the IRS but leaves the onus on owners to report any income to local/city tax officials. And consider liability issues: Talk to your insurance company and understand the details of your coverage before you list your home. Airbnb offers their hosts a $1 million “guarantee” for property damage, but it doesn’t cover personal liability, jewelry, collectables or rare artwork. Be sure you know your risk if someone is injured in your home. Finally, the hotel industry is not taking the new “sharing economy” lying down and is working to ensure some little-known laws are being enforced: For instance, renting your home could violate zoning laws, and many cities have laws forbidding short-term rentals. As a consequence, some airbnb “superhosts” may find themselves using their newfound income towards litigation fees.
What about renting a car on a person-to-person basis?
The concept of car sharing is both convenient and green. A company called RelayRides has grown in popularity. In exchange for a portion of the rental fee, the company handles reservations, money collection, and background checks on the renters.
A couple of tips for renters: First, do the math. If you rent a car frequently enough, you might actually save more money owning—and have unlimited access to your car. Be sure to do a thorough cost/benefit analysis if you’re a frequent renter. Also, understand your insurance coverage. RelayRides insures borrowers for physical damage (up to the value of the car) and liability protection (up to $300,000) during your rental. And finally, accept an element of the unknown: RelayRides depends on user reviews to weed out bad eggs, but this doesn’t insure the borrower from a bad experience. Owners can only list cars that are model year 2000 or newer with fewer than 120,000 miles, and owners are required to ensure their cars meet all legal requirements for vehicle safety, condition and operations. That said, the soccer mom may service her car more thoroughly and more often than the cash-strapped graduate student.
On the flipside, if you’re a car owner and you want to rent out your car, be aware of a few things. In addition to having strangers in your car, remember that additional users mean added wear and tear on your vehicle. Also, be sure to report any income to local/city tax officials. If the amount of money you earn from sharing your car is greater than $600 in a calendar year, you will receive a Form 1099 from RelayRides for that year. Likewise, you should carefully weigh your risk before lending your car. Renting your car could violate the terms of your car insurance and cost you your policy. RelayRides offers a $1 million policy for owners, but claims from one fatal case still in court may exceed that limit.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30