With social media continuing to grow in popularity, more instances of dangerous – and sometimes deadly – outcomes are being reported as participants in online challenges become victims of an unexpected tragedy.
One such incident took place Friday (June 18), and a family in mourning blames a popular social media challenge for the death of LaTerius Smith Jr.
In a story reported by WREG in Memphis, Tenn., LeTerius was discovered unresponsive in his room. Family says they found the 9-year-old with a belt around his neck and rushed him to a hospital. He didn’t survive.
\“To see that baby laying in that casket, hasn’t even had an opportunity to grow up,” said LaTerius’ aunt Barbara Williams. “You know, his life has ended because of some people putting stupid things on various sites.”
READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:
- DC-Based Black Female Assistant Police Chief Was Actually Told To Get An Abortion Or Be Fired
- Taraji P. Henson Says Past Abusive Relationship Left Her Missing A Piece Of Her Lip To This Day
- Robert De Niro’s Estranged Wife Not Entitled to Half of His $500M Acting Income
12 Traditional Juneteenth Food & Drinks You Already Love
1. Red Velvet CakeSource:www.auntbeesrecipes.com 1 of 12
2. Hot Links
2 of 12
3. Strawberry smoothies & LemonadeSource:Getty 3 of 12
4. A juicy watermelonSource:WENN 4 of 12
5. StrawberriesSource:Getty 5 of 12
6. BarbequeSource:WENN 6 of 12
7. Don't forget the hot sauce!
7 of 12
8. PorkchopsSource:Getty 8 of 12
9. Add some GREENS to that plate!
9 of 12
10. Big Red Soda
10 of 12
11. Hibiscus Tea
11 of 12
12. Three bean chili12 of 12
This Social Media Challenge Is Blamed For The Death Of A 9-Year-Old Boy was originally published on wzakcleveland.com