Prayers going out to Crystal Smith and her family after her 10-year-old son Kevin Reese, Jr. committed suicide.

The 10-year-old hung himself in a closet after he dealt with merciless torment from bullies at Robinson Elementary School in Katy.

“They wrote on his tablet to ‘Kill yourself, you don’t belong here,’” Smith told the local news station. “When it got physical back in November, he came home crying because he didn’t fight back and one of the boys punched him several times coming from recess.”

After Smith reported the incident to school officials, she was told that there was not evidence of a “physical fight,” according to KTRK, adding that school officials told her they never found “any bullying going on.”

Then one day in January, Kevin suffered all he could take.

“He just had enough and he felt that he was backed into a corner,” Smith said.

Kevin and his 13-year-old sister got off the school bus and went home. Crystal was out of town for work and his stepdad was on his way home from work. However, before his stepdad could get home and possibly intervene, the 10-year-old was found hanging in his closet.

Kevin’s sister called Crystal, screaming. “She was just screaming on the phone, and I didn’t understand and she screamed, ‘Kevin,’” she said. Eventually, Crystal realized that her son had committed suicide.

“He hung himself in his closet. I told her to hang on with me, if you cut him down and while you’re cutting him down, call 911,” she added.

Now the grieving mother is telling his story with the hope of helping other families of young children who have been bullied into harming themselves, or tragically, taking their own lives.

“Pay attention to your child, don’t assume that things are handled at the school, stay on top of it until you see something come out on the end,” Smith said.

If you or someone you know is feeling suicidal, you can get help by contacting the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

Image credit: KTRK

10-Year-Old Commits Suicide After Bullies Repeatedly Told Him ‘Kill Yourself’ was originally published on myhoustonmajic.com

16 thoughts on “10-Year-Old Commits Suicide After Bullies Repeatedly Told Him ‘Kill Yourself’

1. Butter Pecan on said:

Will our great social justice warrior Shaun King jump in on this one? Not likely since the child was bullied by other black students

2. Ted Gravely on said:

According to a voicemail that official left her, which was obtained by ABC13 Monday, the official looked into the incident where Kevin says a boy punched him. The official said the other boy denied there had been a “physical fight.” That was the extent of the investigation. Why didn’t they interview the other students? Teachers have an enormous responsibility. One is to assess the dynamics of their students; weak, strong, outgoing, shy, ect……. If your child is being bullied, be aggressive about getting it to stop. Call the t.v. station. Point out the bully and shame them publicly. Don’t go to the school angry, confront the kid, or confront the parents. If your kid is punched and you feel that strongly about it – report it to blue racists. Use social media to call out the school. Now I think detention and other on school punishment is more effective, but do what you need to do in order to protect your children.

• Nestafan2 on said:

She had a husband. Did you not read the article, or is that something you just wanted to get off your chest?

• Lisa on said:

Wow, you’re just a ray of sunshine aren’t you??!! You are filled with nothing but negativity on this thread, something that is not needed. And stop stereotyping all single mothers.

3. prerogmy on said:

Teach your child to fight back and to report to teachers, administrators, and parents, what is going on. Also teachers must stop bullying. Educator must make their classrooms no bullying zones. Watch them and those devices like a hawk.

• Mariposa on said:

Sometimes it is not easy to fight back. I fought back those that picked on me and I was punished by the admin at school and my own mother for getting in trouble. So I stopped fighting back in fear my mother would make me “take off clothes in front of my class and whoop me”. Her words not mine. Everday I feel like killing myself bc of her. She was biggest bully

4. M,
    You couldn’t have said it no better. The same ones that use to try and bully me in school are now asking me for a nickel, dime or a quarter and I’m going on 54 years old!!!

• Helice on said:

Bullying has gotten out of hand. In your case and I hate to be sarcastic. That old saying: Being careful you shit on because they just might be one to save your life. Now your bullies need you.

5. That poor angel, my heart is broken for his family. People need to stop allowing their children to be a victim of these heartless demons that are bullies. When the school doesn’t help, teach your children to defend themselves. I would rather have my child suspended from school than to have to bury him. I was bullied as a child, but it all stopped once I started kicking ass! When I had the reputation as being one that can fight, they left me alone.

6. I was.bully in school because of my stature. Guess what all those bastards or dead now, they never made anything out of their lives, some drugs alcohol jail time you name it. Guess what? I got the last 😆 laugh