Fans of famed restaurateur and lifestyle guru B. Smith are lashing out at her husband after he and his blonde girlfriend appeared in a Washington Post profile.

Dan Gasby, 64, opened up about his relationship with the other woman; as he cares for Smith, 69, amid her ongoing battle with Alzheimer’s disease.

Gasby first went public with his romance with Alex Lerner, 53, back in December, in a post on the Facebook page he shares with his wife. He and Smith have been married to for 26 years.

“If This is Us and Modern Family came together, it would be us,” Gasby told The Post about his relationship with Lerner.

According to the report, the two met in the summer of 2017 and remained friends initially, as the divorced mother of three told The Post that she had socialized with Smith previously at charity events and “didn’t want to go out with a married man.”

But while having breakfast with Gasby and Smith one morning, Lerner realized, “This is not a man cheating on his wife.”

“What I admire about him is that he takes care of her,” she explained to The Post.

Lerner has also taken on a caregiver role. She has a room in Gasby and Smith’s East Hampton home, where she stays when she visits from her Manhattan apartment, the report states.

“If I can be compassionate to her … if I can do anything for her, it makes me feel good,” she told The Post, her voice “breaking,” according to the outlet. “If it is giving her something to drink, or making her something to eat — she loves to eat — I feel good.”

Smith was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s six years ago. Gasby previously told PEOPLE that taking care of her was 24/7 job.

“It’s the toughest thing I’ve ever dealt with,” he said. “Anybody who is an Alzheimer’s care giver knows exactly what other caregivers are going through. It’s 24/7. The complexity and the intensity of it is very tough.”

Caring for Smith “is overwhelming most of the time,” Gasby admitted to PEOPLE. “I’m taking it one day at a time,” he said. “It’s extremely difficult. At times I feel like I am between the Titanic and the iceberg and the water is cold and it makes a difference which one I get on.”

Meanwhile, critics of Gasby and Lerner’s relationship are not here for him embarrassing his wife, and many have noted online that: “You don’t bring your mistress in the house where your WIFE lives,” wrote one commenter, according to The Post. “She’s not dead.”

One twitter user said: “My nigga what happened to “in sickness and in health & how TF can you be Boo’d up with a man with his ill wife in the next room? Bitch!”

Another wrote: “The audacity of this muthaf*cka to bring this woman up in his wife’s house”

On Facebook, Monday, Gasby responded to his critics.

“The idiots and ignorant people calling for my arrest and saying B is or has ever been abused — I only wish someone in your immediate family has Alzheimer’s so you can see feel and experience the pain of millions of people across this country so you can know first hand what it’s like to care 24/7/365 for someone who can no longer care for themselves!” he wrote.

“I love my wife but I can’t let her take away my life!” he added. “5-10 years from now when many of you who will have an almost predestined meeting with Alzheimer’s because of genetics, obesity, and a myriad of inflammatory diseases, you’ll be wishing for someone to share moments with and ease the pain of loneliness and despair.”

He continued. “The clock is ticking. I know I can and have [managed] this, but can you do it too?”

Scroll up and watch the Twitter embed clip above and let us know if you agree with Loni Love’s take on the issue.

Also, here’s what the ladies of “The View” had to said about it…watch below:

Do you think Gasby is dead wrong or just trying to make the best of a bad situation?

PHOTO: AP

HEAD BACK TO THE BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM HOMEPAGE

Celebrity Couples Who Have Been Married Longer Than 20 Years!

29 thoughts on “B. Smith’s Husband Slammed For Public Relationship With Girlfriend

1. This is so, so wrong, if he wants a chick on the side, it shouldn’t have been in the home that he shares with his wife. Nothing him or the girlfriend says make this right; nothing. Let say him and B. had the conversation before B. disease advanced, Its highly unlikely that she agreed for her husband to move his girlfriend in her home. Stop trying to justified your Adulterous behavior.

2. LaVaughn Martin on said:

what a sorry mf. using his wife illness as an excuse to have a girlfriend and bring her in their house while his wife is in another room. what a disgusting human being. if I were to get ill like B I hope my husband will respect me enough to keep it outside the house. his ass could have hired a nurse while he go do his business. he says ” I love my wife but I can’t let her take away my life!” if he feel that way he need put her in a nursing home or have somone elsle care for her but don’t bring a woman in the house and sleep with her while his wife is in another room. disgusting

3. Shelly Trapp on said:

1. The husband is gay
    2. He is staying married for financial reasons
    3. The husband & “girlfriend” are in business together
    4. The daughter is on the payroll
    5. Where the hell is B. Smith’s family?

4. @kates1221 – it’s not different at all – B.Smith isn’t dead either! And he could definitely hire a person to come into the home and take care of her and still go off and have his affair PRIVATELY!! I as a person who has early stage Alzheimer would not want my wife to bring her boyfriend into our home that we made for 30 plus years! I know she would respect me enough to keep her affair on the down low. This situation is NO BLESSING – it’s just a man who has found a way to have his cake and eat it too!

5. Ivan Cohen on said:

If his girl friend is supposedly a caretaker of sorts for B. Smith, why did they let her appear on the Today Show looking like 12 miles of bad road? The Jack Johnson syndrome continues…this need to have a white woman. There will be those who say the heart wants what the heart wants. Dan Gasby’s heart needs a mind or maybe he put the one he was born with in the pawn shop.

6. So much for until death do you part. Through sickness and health. If the shoe was on the other foot. His wife would have been faithful to the end. It says alot about this slamball and his nasty mistress. You have to be real low down to do your living spouse like that. Everyone on this board Im sure know what its like to be a care giver. Ive done it with two husbands, mother, father, aunt, Uncles. May they all rest in peace! Not one time did I ever think of cheating or fortencating, on my husbands. I rode with them to the end. Karma, real! He’d had better pray the both of them, that God, dont place both of them in the pit of hell before their time. Its no excuse, for being, dirty, and disrespectful!

7. It’s a shame it’s disgusting and it’s dead WRONG not only is he disrespecting his wife for bring another female into their home but she is just as disrespectful as he is. It’s like he’s using her illness as an excuse to bring this female into their home. There is nothing they can say that will make this right. You are without an excuse

8. J. A-M on said:

Umm adultery -plain and simple. No wonder our young people are losing a sense of wrong vs right. This husband is behaving in a shameful manner.

9. In the end, as long as he, his wife, his daughter, and his girlfriend/caretaker are happy and Mrs. Smith is well taken care of, none of the speculation, opinions or nasty words directed at this family matters. After all, not one person who’s bitchin’ moanin’ and foaming at the mouth is doing anything for any of them. Trust me when I say Mrs. Smith doesn’t know shit from shinola and she never will again. Keeping her happy, comfortable and well taken care of is the only thing that matters. I guess people would rather see her stashed away at an institution somewhere being visited once or twice a week and being cared for by total strangers, while he and his new piece share her house. I see absolutely nothing wrong with what they are doing. And another thing, not a whole lot of women would take on the task of helping to care for a terminally ill woman who may just outlive her. White or black. I hope Mrs. Smith lives out the rest of her days in comfort and peace and God bless this family for keeping her close.

• Listen @kates1221 – it’s not a matter of whether B.Smith knows anything or not. I help take care of my mother who has Alzheimer’s – it is a very difficult job – however leave his wife with some respect and dignity! Have your girlfriend – but don’t have her in YOUR WIFE’s house and definitely don’t publicize the AFFAIR!! Because she isn’t dead nor are they divorced! So if a man has diabetes and he can’t get an erection – is his wife entitled to go get a boyfriend just to have sex with?!

• Bad comparison. Wifey isn’t going to die if hubby’s tally wacker goes limp. As I said if everyone is happy and this lovely lady is being well cared for without being shuffled off to be taken care of by strangers who nothing about her, at the end that is really all that matters. Now, had he shipped her off somewhere, visited her every other month while he and his girlfriend lived happily ever after, in her home, I’d be inclined to think differently. And who knows? She just may outlive them both. Then where would she be? Sometimes blessings don’t come in the ways that we are accustomed to seeing them and our minds are so closed that we fail to recognize them. Luckily, he and his daughter know a blessing when they see one.

10. Stop judging from the outside. Unless you have been the caregiver of an Alzheimer person, it’s rough. His daughter accepts it and understands the situation. My problem is why make a private thing public, we don’t need to know what’s going on in his home.

• @Kim – HIS DAUGHTER!! Not B.Smith’s daughter! Of course she will side with her father!! Have your girlfriend – but not in YOUR WIFE’s house. And definitely don’t publicize the affair! That’s right affair – B.Smith isn’t dead nor are they divorced!! Men have diseases that keeps them from performing completely as a man. Can his wife go out and get a boyfriend to satisfy those needs even though he isn’t dead?!

11. Adaeze Margaret Butler on said:

behind every rich black person seems to be a white person in place ready to take everything they had after they die …..Aretha (all her fortune missing and no one knows what happened to it,) Michael Jackson, Prince , Marvin (why they have “what’s going on” on a freakin Applebee’s rib commericial…(disgusting), Whitney..etc ..js

12. He is a low life piece of s***. You don’t bring another woman in your wife’s house. If she is a side chick, Keep that bitch on the side. Outside! She is sleeping with a married man! I don’t care how she looks at it he is still married! And she is probably hurting that lady on the side when no one is watching. She wants her spot. She’s not going to help her to stay in the role of wife when that’s the role she wants.

13. Good morning TJMS family! Who is to say this couple did not have a conversation about this prior to her decline. She might have given him her blessing. It is always easy to criticize a marriage when we know nothing about their intimate details and conversations. Let us pray for them.

• Passing Through!! on said:

He should still have some respect whether she gave him her blessing or not, at least don’t flash your side piece in public. Wait until she passes and still I would wait a few months before going public with someone else.

• That’s a thought. He could have kept it private. I’ve never understood the need for people to announce every breath they take to the world. How they actually think that anyone gives a damn about what they had for dinner, who’s birthday party they’re at, what bar they’re drinking in, etc. But it seems that this is the way of the modern world. Perhaps he thought he’d get ahead of it before TMZ put it on blast.

14. Ted Gravely on said:

God bless B Smith. This fool is doing something so crass, it defies human decency. Black women figure out a way to have your own kids. If you don’t and have family members; embrace your siblings and their kids. Of course this idiot’s child is going to co-sign the nonsense her daddy is doing. I mean he doesn’t have the decency not to post his sin. My grandfather would say, “boy, man truly walks around like he won’t be held accountable, but God see’s all and he will be consumed by that fire.” As a man or woman, it must be tough when your spouse has a living drawn out death sentence. However, that’s what you signed up for. If you’re going to cheat at least have a conscious and treat your spouse with dignity. This is absolutely distasteful.

15. Maybe they have what is known as an “Open Marriage.”
    However, I think it is very DIS-RESPECTFULL of this man to actually bring his side piece to live in the same home as his wife.

Brotha had to go get him a damn snowflake!!!!!!!!!!

16. It’s disrespectful!! Plan and simple!! If the roles were reversed and he had a glimpses of what was going on around him this would not be acceptable!! My real opinion is you lowlife MF, how dare you!! And to parade the relationship in the public’s eye – is just another black man DEVALUING a black Woman!!!

17. MariAnne Bolton on said:

Ok…I sort of understand him needing companionship of a woman, but WHY TF does she need to live in the same house; and why TF does he need to share that part of their life with the whole world? I don’t get it! He knows that with the dignity and self-respect that Ms. Smith had, she would NOT approve of this SH–!!! P.S. and why TF did she have to be White?

18. Passing Through!! on said:

I love my wife but I can’t let her take away my life!” he add
    ****
    B needs to take that insensitive, low life, arrogant MF out of her will ASAP!! Painting himself as a victim, like he has a right to cheat because he cares for his sick wife or should I say waiting for her to die. He speaks as if this side bytch is his prize for having to take care of his dying wife..I wouldn’t leave him one dime of my empire. This POS has the nerve to brandish his white woman in public while his wife is still living, she already know as soon as she takes her last breath her hard earned estate is going straight to becky, he’ll have that whore moved in before B’s body turns cold.