This week, Wendy Williams is her own Hot Topic. The talk show host announced that she, and the show will take a 3-week hiatus while she deals with the complications of Graves disease an autoimmune disorder and a thyroid problem. reports:

The talk show host, 53, announced on Wednesday’s show that she was diagnosed with Graves’, an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid, in addition to thyroid issues of which she was previously aware.

“Graves’ disease squeezes the muscles behind the eyeballs,” she explained, adding that it has made her eyeballs twitch.

Williams admitted that her viewers spotted the eye issue before she did, adding that she attributed symptoms to focusing on her son Kevin‘s senior year of high school and applying to colleges as well as her work.

“Wendy is a true champion and has never missed a day of work. But her health and well-being must be put before all else,” a show rep tells PEOPLE. “Wendy has been openly dealing with her Graves’ Disease for many years in addition to hyperthyroidism.  Yesterday, Wendy’s doctor prescribed a necessary three weeks of rest to get her levels and medication in sync. The show will be in repeats during this unplanned hiatus.  A live show was produced today so that Wendy could speak directly to her fans and explain her condition.”

After canceling an appointment with her endocrinologist scheduled for December in favor of a business meeting, Williams finally saw the doctor on Tuesday.

“My doctor has prescribed — are you ready? — as of today, three weeks of vacation,” she announced. “What? Who are you? I was pissed.”

The TV personality joked, “I’ll be back in two. I’m not an heiress — who is going to pay my bills? Are you serious? I’m just saying, I come from working class.”

Williams also had an important message to women to put their health first.

“What I want to say to women, more than men, is stop putting everyone first because if we’re not good, they’re not good,” she said.

The announcement comes after Williams canceled several shows last week because she was experiencing “flu-ish” symptoms, she said in an Instagram post last Wednesday.

“I do go to the doctors today to find out what exactly it is,” she explained. “I feel awful. I had to be talked out of going to work today and taking off a few days to get myself together.”

The talk show host also fainted during a live broadcast of her show on Halloween, which she attributed to feeling “overheated” in her elaborate Statue of Liberty costume. The broadcast quickly cut to commercial, and Williams continued the show when they returned.

21 thoughts on “Wendy Williams Is Off The Air For Three Weeks After Health Diagnosis

1. Allen Mark Simmons Sr. on said:

She gets that Botox shot in her face. I think that has something to do with it and all of the face work. Ain’t fooling nobody!!! Time to get more work done!!!

2. DONNIE LOCKETT on said:

Wendy, I am a 60 year old black male and I was also diagnosed with Graves disease two years ago. Wendy, as you might already know, Graves disease, affects everyone that has it in variance ways no two peoples that have this disease has the same symptoms. I lost over 60 pounds when I had it, and some other peoples gain weight when they had it. There is a cure for this disease so keep your head up and don’t think that this is a death sentence. Even though I, not a regular viewer of your show, when I read this article in Black American Web, I was shocked and just wanted to tell someone who was going thru the same thing that I just went thru to just hold your head up and everything will be alright. Looking forward to seeing more of you on your show once you return back to work.

3. For some awful reason we all deny family members or friends when they say to us that we need to take care of our health. Then when a stroke or some other health reason appear when then become home health care doctor and nurses.

4. Benchmarking on said:

I hope she takes care of herself because she looks horrible. She is too thin. I noticed this week she could barely walk. Not running around like she usually does. The reason she gives for her issues may be true, but I’m sure that her husband’s infidelity is really what the problem is. She talks about everybody’s business, but if she is such a “straight shooter” as she proclaims, she need to acknowledge her own issues and stop lying about every thing in Huntersville is great. NOT.

5. Mac Daddy on said:

Black women pay close attention. This is what happens to your health when your daily life is consumed with constant hatred and anger. Looking at you Passing Through

6. Ted Gravely on said:

You are what you let soak into your soul. I watched a few episodes long time ago and realize that she was about that venom. I won’t wish bad for her, but I also won’t wish her well. It’s GOD’s will. Maybe she will have an epiphany and change her ways. Look what happened when Oprah decided to go a different more positive direction.

• Ted Gravely on said:

Wendy is that you? Learn to read Wendy, Sambo, Russian Bot, racist or whoever you’re pretending to be. That’s what these forums are for – opinions. I state mine, get original and stop stalking people and state yours. If it’s you Wendy start to love yourself. Now stop being hateful to other people- cause that karma you’re talking about is not looking good on you right now. Wendy, Sambo, Russian Bot, or racist what else you got. Oh and GOD does like ugly. He loves Wendy’s ugly twisted big eyed face. He loves you too.

7. The Truth on said:

She was Not looking well at All.I thought she was having a stroke one night her face was twisting,her eyes blinking so face and she was talking real fast. She is attacking everyone about something. She is Not acting right either.

8. leadjustone on said:

I’ve been saying she doesn’t look well. She was calling people haters and saying she was being “skinny shamed”, but she looked horrible.Those big pop eyes and getting thinner and thinner! Now, it all makes sense.