A Black Lives Matter activist who became known for his actions in trying to take a Confederate flag down during a protest on live television was shot and killed by police in Louisiana.

The NY Daily News reports, Muhiyidin Elamin Moye who also went by Muhiyidin d’Baha, was shot in the thigh by police while riding his bike at 1:25 a.m. Tuesday, February 8.

Moye was taken to a nearby hospital where he bled to death according to his niece Camille Weaver. She has set up a GoFundMe page to help raise money for his funeral expenses.

Police have not given any reason or information for potential suspects or motive for the shooting.

Moye was a Black Lives Matter leader in Charleston, South Carolina where he was arrested last year when he tried to grab a Confederate flag from a protester.

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

(Photo Credit: YouTube)

31 thoughts on “Black Lives Matter Activist Fatally Shot In Louisiana

1. @Leslie do you go on all other websites that report the news and chastised them about “irresponsible reporting”? Probably not!! And all you other Phuck Heads following her/his lead!! Several other news outlets reported the same damn thing!! Don’t come for BAW! Unless you have concrete proof of what you say then STHU!!

2. Leslie on said:

Ms. Diannah Watson, and Black America Web, I am seriously urging you to be a bit more responsible when it comes to matters of reporting news and information, because I have not been able to find ANY sources to support the information that you have cited in this article. Even the New York Daily News story that YOU linked to doesn’t state what you’ve said here! Nowhere in that article does it state that this young man was shot by POLICE, it only states that he was fatally shot ACCORDING TO POLICE!! This is irresponsible reporting, and one of the the reasons that many readers fail to take the information that you provide seriously! If for some reason, the NYDN story has been updated since you posted this story, then you have a journalistic responsibility to update YOUR article as well, to reflect the new information! Get serious about what you do, because your readers deserve better than rumors and half-baked reporting!

• African American Woman on said:

Good point, but you’d be surprised how many people who post on here believe EVERY word BAW prints…Most stories are heavily slanted, bias and opinionated-not trustworthy.

• “The NY Daily News reports, Muhiyidin Elamin Moye who also went by Muhiyidin d’Baha, was shot in the thigh by police while riding his bike at 1:25 a.m. Tuesday, February 8.”
      This is how it appears in the opening email segment.I read the story first in Yahoo so I knew it was as you posted “according to police”.
      Yahoo has often been criticized for half-assed editing ,especially in the new headline format they started late last year but I’m sorry to say that BAW is starting to look just as bad.
      Last week the email headline reported that ex MLB player,Oscar Gamble die at age 86.Having seen him play frequently in the70’s when he was in his prime I knew that had to be a typo.When I opened the main format his correct age at death was posted as 68.

• African American Woman on said:

Nope! They print incorrect information allbthe time…they know that a possible cop-black guy related story will rile up the usual crowd.

3. craig martin on said:

There is absolutely no indication that he was shot by police. My family is biracial and I’m disgusted by stories like this that only inflamTotae people and increase the racial divide. Totall irresponsible reporting!

• I don’t know where the “shot in the thigh by police” story came from. But let me tell you, after reading L’s knee-jerk comment, I can see why they snuck it in there. Just for giggles.

• Mac Daddy on said:

kates, you know darn well that L is our resident idiot. She bites on anything that she can launch a race card at. ASSINATION!!! IMPEACH 45, IMPEACH 45. We all laugh at her, the sad part is her uneducated, hate mongering vote counts the same as my master’s degree vote.

4. African American Woman on said:

I definitely need some facts before I come to a decision about what happened. BAW is notorious for reporting heavily slanted or opinionated stories.

5. specialt757 on said:

For the life of me, I just don’t understand why those two fools come out here to discredit the black person right off the back and not be objective. All the facts have not been presented but in their pea- brain sized minds, it’s ALWAYS the black man’s fault. Please go somewhere and buy some active brain cells.

6. Okay, not enough facts here, but what they do say is d’Baha was shot in the thigh by police while riding his bike at 1:25a.m. Tuesday, February 8. Okay one, Tuesday’s date was Feb 6, sooooo I’ll ignore that.
    Two, he was shot while riding his bike? Was he pointing a gun at officers? Was he coming towards officers? After he was shot, did the officers try to help him? He shouldn’t have bled out if they assisted him in time. I’ll wait for more info, because right now, this just doesn’t make sense.

• Virginia on said:

It depends on where in the thigh. If the bullet hit the Femoral Artery, he probably wouldn’t have lived to get to surgery even if he was shot in the ER.

• specialt757 on said:

@Virginia
        Some people may assume that’s where he was shot, but forgive me if I don’t believe that necessarily. Is not as if the police have a good record of helping their shooting victim by doing all they could. Remember Tamir Rice? Not one of those cops even administered or attempted to administer aid to this child, it wasn’t until another agent or someone came up and immediately started cpr after he was dead.

7. Virginia on said:

Trying to take a flag was something done awhile ago and has nothing to do with this. Like I tell my kids, after midnight all that happens will get you in trouble.

8. People do use bikes as a means of transportation. There are a lot of specifics not exposed in this story. If there truly will be transparency, then the true details will come out. My knee-jerk reaction is that he was targeted and murdered……let’s see. I don’t hold out much hope, however.

9. He was shot by police yet there’s no information on motive or suspects??????? who the hell rides a bike @1:30 in the morning maybe he should have used his notoriety to buy a car..or he got jammed up for taking a flag maybe he took the bike

• So what does constitute the taking of a life? The value of the item taken or the way in which it was taken? If a 16 year old kid shots you in the face and jacks your car does that constitute deadly force or the same kid just pistol whips you how about that I mean you’re dead one way and just a few scars the other, but then in your world crime is the norm and expected amongst your coulter, see in my world I respect and expect the rule of law and don’t care if it’s $5 or $500 your actions can cost you your life

• Don’t talk to me about ignoring the rule of law. I respect the law. Law enforcement doesn’t respect ppl of color. U want to talk about rule of law. Look at that fool u voted for. He’s broken all kinds of laws. It will eventually catch up to him. We don’t knw why that guy was killed. You love passing judgement when it comes to blks being killed. You never commented on the mass killer that shot up 600 ppl or any other white mass murderer. Go way. And we will STAY WOKE, Not broke!

• Hey idiot mcdummy. That guy lost his life. Why was he killed? He sound like a soft spoken young man. Why did he lose his life? He was blk riding his bike at 130am. There has to be more to this story.

• Mac Daddy on said:

Of course there is more to the story, but since BAW is not reporting it, you can bet your last dollar it involves criminal activity. No matter has far you want to spin the racist police narrative, they don’t go out at 1am hunting blacks for sport. What does happen at 1am is criminal activity

• So basically a black man can be out side after 1:00 a.m. unless hes doing some criminal activity if that’s not the Most Racist statement I’ve ever It’s the this most stupid is

• RENO2AC on said:

More assumptions, stereotyping, and generalizations from the resident dickhead who never has a comment for his foul, sociopathic and psychopathic kin that are ALWAYS in the news. I flushed better than you down the toliet this morning. Bye bye!