Music legend Chaka Khan shared her diva makeup ritual for Vogue’s YouTube Beauty Secrets series, peep the clip above.
The fashion and beauty icon is concerned about today’s makeup artists — mostly feminine males who overdo it with their makeup brushes, so she chooses to apply her own makeup these days.
“Mostly I taught myself. I have put my makeup on in the back of limousines, on the way to gigs,” she told Vogue magazine.
Chaka said the secret to achieving a proper balance of makeup is by accentuating different parts of her face.
In other words, don’t overdo it! Oftentimes, less is more, ladies.
As noted by essence.com, Chaka’s beauty tips include:
1. Skip false lashes. “I absolutely despise false eyelashes. I can’t work with them I sweat too much,” she says.
2. Forget red lipstick, opt for pink. “I’ve gone off reds and I do the hot pinks, they’re more youthful,” explains Chaka.
3. Never forget powder, ever. “Any time you put on foundation, be sure to go over it with powder,” the diva instructs.
4. Eyeliner can easily take you from day to night. “I’ll take a little more black [eyeliner] and it’s going to make it pop more and be really pretty,” she says.
5. Oh, and don’t forget perfume! “Always spray your favorite perfume, and always look your best,” the singer reminds.
You can read Chaka’s full Vogue profile here.
Beauty & Brains: Female Celebrities with Degrees
1. Tatyana M. AliSource:Tatyana Ali Instagram 1 of 16
2. Laila Ali received a degree in business from Santa Monica College.Source:PR 2 of 16
3. Gabrielle Union earned a degree in Sociology and graduated with honors from UCLA.Source:AP 3 of 16
4. Shaun Robinson earned a Bachelor's Degree from Spelman University in Atlanta.Source:PR 4 of 16
5. Rashida Jones graduated from Harvard in 1997 where she studied religion and Philosphy.5 of 16
6. Viola Davis has a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Rhode Island college.6 of 16
7. Kerry Washington earned a bachelor's degree in the performing arts at George Washington University.7 of 16
8. Angela Bassett has B.A. in African American studies & a Master of Fine Arts Degree from the Yale School of Drama.8 of 16
9. Kim Fields has a degree in broadcast journalism and TV production from Pepperdine University. AP9 of 16
10. Oprah Winfrey has a B.A. in speech/performing arts from Tennessee State University.Source:AP 10 of 16
11. Aisha Tyler earned a Bachelor's degree from Dartmouth in Government with a minor in Environmental Policy. AP11 of 16
12. Vivica A. Fox attended College in Huntington Beach and earned an Associate Art degree in Social Sciences Retna12 of 16
13. Phylicia Rashad graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor's of Fine Arts Degree in Theater from Howard University AP13 of 16
14. Debbie Allen earned a B.A. in Classical Greek literature, speech and theater from Howard University.14 of 16
15. Tracee Ellis Ross earned a bachelor's degree in theater from Brown University in 1994.15 of 16
16. Jennifer Beals earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in American Studies & American Literature from Yale.Source:AP 16 of 16
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
(Photo Credit: PR Photos)