Dismiss

I see a lot of people talking about impeachment this morning. I get it. Donald Trump is a scoundrel. This much is undeniable. His firing of FBI Director James Comey is undoubtedly suspicious. If Twitter polls were how we impeached people, we’d be in a good place right now. Sadly, that’s not how this thing works.

If you wanna dream of Trump’s impeachment, that’s fine, but don’t waste a single second of your time awake fighting for such a thing right now. This Republican Congress is not going to impeach Donald Trump. They are all in so deep with him that impeaching him would be an indictment on themselves. They helped get him here. These are the same people, mind you, who blocked President Obama’s Supreme Court nominee for nearly a year simply because they felt like it – effectively stealing the nominee from him. They don’t have the guts, backbone, will, or moral high ground to impeach Trump. They are down in the dirt with him.

Instead, for those of us who desperately want to defeat Trump, we should put nearly all of our eggs into one essential basket – voter turnout. Let me give you some context for just how dismal voter turnout is right now. This past weekend, France had its lowest voter turnout for a presidential election in a generation. Nearly 75% of voting age adults cast a ballot. That’s down from a turnout of nearly 85% in France just a decade ago.

And still, the lowest turnout in decades for France is better than we’ve had in any presidential election in the United States since 1896. In fact, we haven’t had a turnout of 60% or more in this country since the 1960s. The highest voter turnout in my lifetime was when Barack Obama was first elected in 2008 and even then only 57.1% of voting age adults cast a ballot.

87.2% of the people voted in Belgium, 85.2% in Turkey, 82.6% in Sweden, and 80.4% in South Korea. In fact, voter turnout in the United States drastically trails almost every developed country in the world.

This is not OK. My gut reaction to learning these numbers was to say that we desperately need more voter registration drives, but the United States, in this past election crossed 200 million registered voters for the very first time. Yes, we should keep registering people, but our problems are bigger than registration. Sorry to sound like a rhyming preacher, but our problems are voter education, inspiration, identification, and easy access to the polls.

Every election, from school board seats to sheriffs, district attorneys, and state representatives all require far more voter education and awareness than we see right now. Turnout in those elections is even worse than presidential elections, but voters are simply not educated on who’s who and exactly why those elections matter as much as they do.

Voters aren’t inspired. Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton were the two least liked presidential candidates in American history. Of course voter turnout was terrible. And as much as people despised Donald Trump, fear did not seem to be a tremendous motivator. Obama had the highest turnout in recent history because his candidacy inspired voters and we must get back to that.

Most nations around the world either make voting on weekends or make Election Day a national holiday. Of course they do! Only our dumb country puts voting on Tuesday and still requires everybody to go to school and work like normal. It’s foolish. We should do everything we can to move in that direction. Not only that, but new voter ID laws are one more impediment to easy voting for everyday Americans.

The best model we have in the country for drastically increasing voter turnout is Oregon. 78.9% of the people there voted in the past election and that was down from their record highs of over 85% (although more people voted in this past election than ever before.) Oregon has done two things that we should fight for state by state. Residents are automatically registered to vote there and residents vote by mail. It’s actually the only way to vote there and it clearly works.

If we had 80% voter turnout, not only would Trump lose in 2020, I don’t think we’d ever have another person like him win again.

22 thoughts on “Of All The Strategies To Defeat Donald Trump, None Are More Important Than This One

1. specialt757 on said:

Theo,
    What does the fact that you previously voted for Obama have to do with anything?

I do wish you would have been able to see what the BIGGER picture looked like if trump became president prior to you casting your vote. Sounds like you regret your decision, is it only because he’s not able to build the WALL? Or is it because he is the BIGGEST LIAR and sold his supporters a bill of goods that he can’t possibly produce?
    Not that your voted counted, none of ours did.

• Theo on said:

specialt757, for years I identified myself as a Democrat, now because Trump has let me down I consider myself an Independent bec. I have matured to see there is some Good on the Democratic Side & there is some Good on the Republican Side, therefore IF the GOOD on each side would UNITE, that is the America I wish to experience. It is with regret that I have come to the conclusion that our current President is just unfit to UNITE the Nation as the Nation should BE. My father died during the Korean conflict for ONE AMERICA.

• specialt757 on said:

“… there is some Good on the Republican Side” please help me, I haven’t found any good on the republican side yet. Every day appears to be more foolishness and more of a divide in the country, republicans have done nothing to change or bridge the gap. They are so busy taking their country back that they can’t see “RUSSIA is already here”. Most if not all of them are fools.

• Theo on said:

@specialt757, the Republicans are right about CONTROLLING Illegal Immigration as ALL NATIONS by virtue of Sovereignty as you have the right who enters your home. That subject is a no-brainer.

2. FallMornings on said:

@Theo. Last I heard, the Justice Department is not going to stop the investigation. It would be good to know what happened. I guess Comey is now free to say what, if any, the FBI found.

3. FallMornings on said:

@Theo. You are very brave to say that you voted for Trump. At least on this website. Yes, he did let us down, I too voted for him. Not everyone can just up and strike or shut down America. Some would be fired but I’m all for a good protest with a purpose and a positive outcome.

4. specialt757 on said:

Diane
    I really hope you are correct, because we need EVERYONE eligible to vote to vote during the mid-year elections. These elections are more critical or crucial than the presidential ones. I hope that the younger generations are not disillusioned by what is happening now and know that trump being president is WRONG for America and want to change or reshape our country’s future. I hope the younger generations are also willing to throw themselves into the fight for political appointments because they are serious about the direction our country is headed. I still hold out hope but with trump in the WH, our next few years looks dim and bleak and we need to remember that the policies he enacts now could have long-lasting affects.

• Theo on said:

specialt757, RUSSIA INTERFERED WITH THE VOTING COUNT, therefore voter turn-out won’t matter, when there is a Program to Change the Count.

• specialt757 on said:

I’m hopeful that Russia has moved on to other things and won’t tamper with our mid-year elections.

• Theo on said:

speciallt757, I can feel the PRESENCE of PUTIN in our NATION is liken to when a woman can feel the presence of ANOTHER woman in a relationship. The Russians Are Coming; no they are ALREADY HERE. Are u aware that ONLY Russian Photographers were permitted in the Oval Office to take pictures of our President & the Russian Ambassador?!

• specialt757 on said:

Yes, I heard that he wouldn’t allow the American press in during his meeting with Russia. That should tell all Americans that this man is up to no good. This should not have been allowed to happen but trump is running his own show and he doesn’t give 2 cents on how others feel about it. He does what he wants when he wants. He is a very dangerous person, he has GOT TO GO!!!! He needs the go in the same manner as Nixon.

• Theo on said:

Yep! He really let me down…I was a die-hard Trump supporter til recent current events.

5. specialt757 on said:

@Theo
    This question stems from your response. I know you feel regret for your decision to support and most likely vote for trump. I (1) would like to know your race (if you’re willing to say)? and (2) what did trump say that made you drink the kool-aid, no disrespect?
    I’m hoping that you will be opened and honest if you do respond, but my reason for asking is because I would really like to know a black person’s (if you are black) mind set to support a person like trump. Everything about him, pre & post president says he isn’t interested in helping the average American or any American not as rich or richer than he.

• Theo on said:

One of the main reasons I supported our current President [by the way I previously voted for Obama] is because of the WALL…Americans Taxes should NOT be used to finance Illegal Immigrants, which funding Illegal Immigration has a direct effect on eroding Social Security for Americans who have paid to receive Soc. Security when we retire. In addition, I have personally experienced overt racism from Mexicans.

6. FallMornings on said:

March in the streets, for what??? Most marches are nothing more than a waste of good shoe leather. What will change??

• Theo on said:

FallMornings: March, meaning, Shut-America-Down ECONOMICALLY; NO ATTENDANCE AT SCHOOLS across America; Shut-America-Down Across America would be the Greatest Protest of All Times. By the way, I supported Trump, but he has let me down…he has turned out to be unfit to be the President of the U.S. If our President is right regarding NO Russian Connection, let them go forward with their investigation, in words to say, he is manifesting or revealing guilt, which does not give me pleasure to admit.

7. Willie on said:

AMERICA RISE-UP! NOW IS THE TIME FOR MILLIONS to take to the Streets; A MILLIONS PEOPLE MARCH throughout America to dethrone our current President. WE have the POWER to dump Trump.

8. Election Day in November 2018 is very important.
    Although it will be a mid-term election, not a lot of folks consider it worth they time to cast their vote.

However, I do realize how important it will be.

For those who are not happy with the direction this country is going, thanks to the GOP and Chump-11/18 is the time to VOTE ALL THOSE BUMS OUT!!!!!!

Chump better not count on doing a second term-his ass may be packed up and gone back to NYC way before then!!!!!!!

It will be good riddance to bad rubbish!!!!!!

9. jhuf on said:

So if higher turnout equals win for Democrat then why did counties in blue states that experienced higher turnout result in Trump winning that state?
    The problem with Mr. King’s premise is that MOTIVATION and TURNOUT can go either way as Liberals discovered Nov 7

• specialt757 on said:

Diane
        Jose’ has one song to sing, it’s the same song that include his hate and disgust for Prez Obama and Hillary Clinton, but also expresses his undying love, admiration, and respect for the orange hitler. Oh and this song also includes his hate, disgust, and discontent with blacks in America. He’s a loser so….he talks loud but says nothing.