Kanye West was booed during his show in San Jose, California on Thursday after informing the crowd that the right man won the presidency on Nov. 8.
“I told you all I didn’t vote right? … But if I were to have voted, I would have voted for Trump,” he said at the packed SAP Center to a mixed reaction.
Presumably referring to the Democratic Party, he continued: “This is about the idea of a black guy liking Trump. They thought they had me because … just because I was black or just because I was a celebrity. But Trump is our president. And that would’ve been my vote, so I feel right.”
According to a Twitter user at the concert, Kanye spoke glowingly about the president-elect, calling him a “genius” and that he admired the man’s debate style.
He reportedly said he respects voters of Hillary Clinton, but feels “vindicated” as a “black man as a black man and as a celebrity” because he “felt persecuted for supporting Trump.”
Vulture.com reports that West has been a Trump supporter for a while, but Justin Bieber’s manager Scooter Braun advised him not to make that public until after the election.
In the videos below, West is shown explaining that just because he would’ve voted for Trump, it doesn’t mean he’s against Black Lives Matter or women’s rights. He also advises black people to “stop focusing on racism” because, he argues, it’s “just a f**king fact” of life.
Thank goodness our elders in the civil rights movement didn’t settle for the way things were.
Famous, Black, & Republican
1. Donnie Mcclurkin is a registered Republican. (PR)1 of 16
2. Condoleeza Rice is a registered RepublicanSource:PR 2 of 16
3. Colin Powell served as U.S. Secretary of State under President George W. BushSource:PR 3 of 16
4. Stacey Dash supports Mitt RomneySource:YouTube Screenshot 4 of 16
5. Zora Neale Hurston was a supporter of the Republican Party for much of her life5 of 16
6. 50 Cent is a registered Republican. (PR)Source:PR 6 of 16
7. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is a registered Republican.Source:The Rock Instagram 7 of 16
8. "Divorce Court" judge, Lynn Toler, is black and Republican.8 of 16
9. Jimmie "JJ" Walker is a registered Republican. (PR)9 of 16
10. Sheryl Underwood is a registered Republican. (PR)10 of 16
11. Don King is a registered Republican. (PR)11 of 16
12. Karl Malone is a registered Republican. (PR)12 of 16
13. Bishop T.D. Jakes is a registered Republican. (AP)13 of 16
14. Joseph C. Phillips is a registered Republican.14 of 16
15. Wilt Chamberlain is a registered Republican. (AP)15 of 16
16. Greg Anthony supports Mitt Romney.16 of 16
(Photo Source: AP)