“These are the breaks!” Maybe that line from his classic song, “The Breaks” has a whole new meaning for rap pioneer Kurtis Blow.
The break he got was huge. The story happened last Saturday, but it’s just now becoming public.
After collapsing at a bus stop in LA’s San Fernando Valley, Blow – whose real name is Kurtis Walker – says four LAPD officers saved his life by giving him CPR.
“I died and those officers saved my life,” Walker said. “The police saved my life, a Black man. In this day and age, people need to hear that.”
Around 9pm on Saturday, the trio had responded to a bus stop near the Westfield Promenade. It was initially reported as a robbery call, but it turned out to just be an argument between Walker and his son. As officers talked to the pair, Walker collapsed..
“We didn’t think about it; we just acted. I swept his airway for obstructions, and Officer Hill started chest compressions,” Vege recalled.
Parra also noted that it looked like Walker was having “some sort of heart episode.”
At some point while doing CPR, Walker stopped breathing.
“It seemed like a really long time when you’re pressing on a man’s chest, hoping he won’t die,” Hill said.
According to witnesses, Officer Hill continued CPR for five minutes before paramedics arrived to take Walker to a hospital, where he asked to see the officers that had saved him.
“We didn’t think too much about what we had done, but we were curious to see how the man was doing,” Vega recalled. “So we drove to the hospital later that night, and several people made a big deal about us saving the man’s life.”
Famous Family Feuds
1. Bobby Brown vs The Houston familySource:AP 1 of 13
2. The King Children have a history of feuding over their father's legacy- Now Martin Luther III and Dexter King are suing their sister Bernice King over the rights to their father's Nobel Peace Prize and Bible.2 of 13
3. Oprah Winfrey sparked a family feud with her stepmom after stepping in and purchasing her dad's barbershop for him. (AP)3 of 13
4. After the tragic death of Donna Summer, two of her three daughters fought over her $75M fortune. (Photo: AP)4 of 13
5. Halle Berry & Gabriel Aubry had a long drawnout feud over custody of their daughter Nahla. (Photo: AP)5 of 13
6. Eminem has had so many feuds but probably his most famous would be with his mother, Debbie. (Photo: AP)6 of 13
7. Chaka Khan fought & won custody of her granddaughter in 2011 due to her son & the child's mother being on drugs. (AP)7 of 13
8. Usher's little brother James Lackey and his baby mama feuded over money, she wanted more.8 of 13
9. Anna Nicole Smith & Pierce Marshall feuded for 15 years over her late husband & his dad's will. (Photo: AP)9 of 13
10. Demi Moore's daughters had it with her craziness at one point and they were considering taking out a TRO on their mom. (AP)10 of 13
11. Madonna's feud with her brother Christoper began after he released a detailed tell-all book about life with his sis.11 of 13
12. In 2012, Paris Jackson took to Twitter causing more drama & a feud with & between her dad's brothers & sisters. (Photo: AP)12 of 13
13. Crazy Jon & Kate plus eight feuding over money, custody and reality television shows. (AP)13 of 13
(Photo Source: Instagram)