Michael B. Jordan has moved his explosive film career into the executive suite.
The actor has signed a multiyear first-look film and TV production deal with Skydance Media to launch his own shingle, Outlier Productions, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Jordan has tapped Wynn Wygal to serve as the company’s vice president.
“Michael is an incredibly gifted actor and storyteller whose proven track record on both the big and small screen together with his boundless ambitions make him an ideal partner for us at Skydance,” Skydance CEO David Ellison said Wednesday in a statement. “We are so excited to team up with Michael and Eric on ‘Apollo Park,’ a riveting sports drama about courage, perseverance and family.”
Outlier’s first TV project under the deal is the scripted drama “Apollo Park,” which revolves around a young basketball player’s rapid rise to professional fame and the effects of his success on his family and community back in inner-city Detroit.
Eric Amadio, whose FX drama “Snowfall” was just picked up to series, co-created “Apollo Park” with Jordan and will write the potential series as well as executive produce alongside Jordan. Evan Silverberg, Kenny Goodman and Skydance’s Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross will also executive produce.
“I love telling true, modern stories and ‘Apollo Par’k — an underdog tale about a very real and very heroic hustler who defies stereotypes and thrives against great odds — has long been a passion project of mine. Eric and I are excited to join forces with the incredible creative team at Skydance to share it with the world,” said Jordan, who grew up playing basketball for his high school team in Newark, N.J. “I’m also very eager to start this new chapter in my career by launching my production company and I am thrilled to have Wynn join my team.”
Making History: Top 10 Richest Black Actors
1. Tyler Perry - estimated worth $450M1 of 10
2. Bill Cosby - estimated worth $380MSource:AP 2 of 10
3. Will Smith - estimated worth $240MSource:AP 3 of 10
4. Samuel L. Jackson - estimated worth $170MSource:PR 4 of 10
5. Morgan Freeman - estimated worth $150MSource:AP 5 of 10
6. Denzel Washington - estimated worth $140MSource:PR 6 of 10
7. Ice Cube - estimated worth $140MSource:PRPhotos.com 7 of 10
8. Martin Lawrence - estimated worth $110MSource:PR 8 of 10
9. LL Cool J - estimated worth $100MSource:AP 9 of 10
10. Eddie Murphy - estimated worth $85MSource:AP 10 of 10
(Photo Source: AP)