Black America Web Featured Video

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Latest on the death of music superstar Prince (all times local):

12:05 p.m.

A Minneapolis lawyer for a California addiction doctor says neither the doctor nor the doctor’s son met or spoke with Prince before the music legend’s death last month.

William Mauzy told reporters Wednesday that representatives of Prince reached out to Dr. Howard Kornfeld the day before Prince died and that Kornfeld sent his son, Andrew Kornfeld, to meet with Prince because the doctor couldn’t immediately fly to Minnesota.

Mauzy said Kornfeld also called a Minnesota doctor to check Prince, and the doctor had cleared his morning schedule for Prince the day of his death. He refused to identify the doctor

The lawyer says Andrew Kornfeld went to Prince’s suburban Minneapolis estate the morning of his death and was one of three people who found Prince’s unresponsive body in an elevator there. He confirmed a Minneapolis Star Tribune report that Andrew Kornfeld was the one who called 911.

—Andrew Kornfeld’s name has been corrected on second reference. He had been erroneously referred to as Andrew Mauzy.

6:30 a.m.

A published report says Prince had arranged to meet a California doctor to try to kick an addiction to painkillers shortly before his death.

Attorney William Mauzy told the Minneapolis Star Tribune ( ) that Prince representatives called Dr. Howard Kornfeld on April 20, the day before Prince died. Mauzy says he is representing the Kornfeld family.

Mauzy says Kornfeld couldn’t immediately meet Prince, so he sent his son Andrew to discuss treatment. Mauzy says it was Andrew Kornfeld who called 911 when Prince’s unresponsive body was found in an elevator at Paisley Park, Prince’s suburban Minneapolis compound.

Mauzy and Howard Kornfeld haven’t responded to messages from The Associated Press on Wednesday morning.

A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation has told AP that investigators are looking into whether Prince died from an overdose. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to talk about the investigation.

From AP: 


NEW YORK (AP) — A former assistant to Prince until last year has spent the days since his death trying to figure out how her boss, whom she described as very healthy, could have died so suddenly, adding that she never saw him ingest any drugs during her employ.

Mariah Brown, 25, said Prince didn’t even drink, and she never saw him take any pills, nor did she get any on his behalf.

“He was a very, very healthy person. … That man has more energy than me, and anyone I know,” she told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday.

She added: “The whole death didn’t make sense to me. … He never came across as sick, or anything like that. ”

Prince was found dead April 21 at his compound in Chanhassen, Minnesota. Toxicology reports will not be available for weeks, but a law enforcement official has told the AP that investigators are looking into whether Prince died from an overdose and whether a doctor was prescribing him drugs in the weeks beforehand. The official has been briefed on the investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak to the media.

Prince had rescheduled concerts in the days before his death, citing illness.

Brown started working for Prince when she was referred by one of his friends who also worked with him. At the time, Brown was a 23-year-old model. . As his assistant, she brought him his food, bought his clothes and did other tasks non-celebrities do for themselves on a daily basis. She also toured with him in addition to managing his personal details.

“My experience with him was phenomenal; he’s like no other,” said Brown. “It was like magical.”

Brown said she spent most of her days at Paisley Park: She might start at 1 p.m. and leave in the wee morning hours. He typically was working on his music but would sometimes spend hours talking to Brown and others, about anything.

She remembers him telling them “‘there’s no endings. You can do whatever you want, as long as you put your all into it.’ … The words ‘can’t’ and ‘no’ never existed in his life.”

Prince was the only person who lived at Paisley Park, but she and his band members spent so many hours there, he wasn’t alone for most of the day. One moment he could be playing pingpong with his crew in fierce battle mode and the next he’d be at his sound stage.

And when the band or Brown would leave, he knew he could call them back and they’d be there.

“We would all stay about a mile up the road,” she said. “It was one of those things where if he did call and needed something, we would go get it for him.”

Brown recalls calling him “Uncle P.” One time, after spending a month with Prince on the road in Europe, she was exhausted and tired, and just broke down into tears because of how much she had to do.

“Prince came into the room, and we had just one of the most meaningful conversations, and he was handing me tissues,” she remembered.

There was also another point where Prince wasn’t playing his classic hit “Little Red Corvette” in concert, which was Brown’s favorite. So one day, he asked her for something, and she said she would get it on one condition: that he add the song to his set.

“It just made me so happy. He’s just that kind of person. He’s always trying to see the best in people,” she said.

Brown said the two parted ways on a mutual note. She sent him a couple of emails just asking how he was after she left and he responded.

Why, she wonders, was he left alone if seriously ill?

“It hurts my heart because I don’t know the story,” she said.

Brown said she has stayed away from social media because of all the gossip surrounding Prince’s death.

“It’s like people are coming out . just to try and throw dirt on his name,” she said. “It’s sad. Let that man rest in peace. ”

From the NY Daily News: 

An unidentified Midwestern man thinks he might be Prince’s secret love child — and he wants a DNA test.

The man in his mid-30s reached out to a Los Angeles-based genealogical search firm to ask about procedures for establishing paternity, John Hilbert, a partner at Heir Hunters International, told the Daily News.

The man bears a resemblance to Prince and claims his mother met the superstar on multiple occasions in the early 1980s around the time he was conceived, Hilbert said.

“Prince and his mother crossed paths several times,” Hilbert said Tuesday.

“He contacted us seeking how one would prove he was Prince’s son. He asked that his privacy be maintained. He has his own family and doesn’t want to be embarrassed. He won’t show up on the courthouse steps.

Like on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.


Remembering Prince Through the Years
15 photos