American Idol runner-up and Mississippi native La’Porsha Renae has made headlines for referring to homosexuality as a “lifestyle” that she “doesn’t agree” with.

During an April 8 conference call with reporters, the 22-year-old singer, who lost to Trent Harmon on the final season of “Idol,” was asked for her thoughts on Mississippi’s controversial House Bill 1523, which allows people with faith-based objections to deny wedding services to same-sex couples.

Renae said she hadn’t heard about the so-called Religious Liberty bill, which Gov. Phil Bryant signed into law on April 5. She said she was planning to leave the state anyway to “start over” with her daughter, Nayalee Keya.

She also went on to say, “Although all of us may not agree with that particular lifestyle for religious reasons, whatever the reason is, you still treat each other with respect. Everybody is a human being. We should be able to coexist with one another.”

She continued: “I am one of the people who don’t really agree with that lifestyle. I wasn’t brought up that way. It wasn’t how I was raised.”

Renae said she has “a lot of friends and a lot of people that I love dearly who are gay and homosexual and they’re such sweet, nice people.” She added, “We should just respect each other’s differences and opinions and move on.”

Renae’s remarks set off scores of angry responses on social media. She responded to the backlash with a tweet:

&nbsp

27 thoughts on “La’Porsha Renae Responds To Gay Backlash After Comments

1. This woman is a dumb b!t*h….as a black person you should know better you sound like a racist white person saying i have many black friend they are sweet but i dont agree with them being black or their culture ……I hate ignorance, stupidity and total morons regardless. And i particularly cannot stand dumb bible thumpers who say in one breath that God made them but cannot wrap their heads around the fact that God made ALL creatures great and small ……stop talking if you cannot do it without being offensive.

2. I am so sick and tired of people having to retract their comments just because they disagree with a lifestyle choice. My beliefs are no one else’s business. However if you ask me, I will tell you. I am certainly no hater. She said I disagree with the lifestyle, she did not judge. Did not La Porsha say we should respect one another and one’s beliefs? Who do these people think they are? How dare any government or person try to change the thinking of those who do not agree with a behavior or lifestyle that goes against their proven religious beliefs??? The main thing is respect, LaPorsha owes nothing more. No apology since she said nothing wrong and has the right to her belief. So darn sensitive!

3. leadjustone on said:

Great job La’Porsha! Last time I checked, this was still the good old U.S. of A. We do not have to tow the party line, no matter what those wonderfully “tolerant” people say. Live and let live !!!!!

4. I really think she worded her words well. It is not for me. I always go to the BIBLE for answers. I will respect difference. Just respect me too.

5. Rev. Lonnie on said:

Talking about Tolerance, homosexuals are the MOST Un-Tolerant people. Everyone does not agree with your lifestyle, however they can love and respect you just the same. Show the Christian the same love and respect. Christ died for your sins as well.

6. redbone1954 on said:

She is right and whoever is having an issue with it should respect her opinion. When did we as people lose our right of free speech. I did not see one disrespectful thing that she said. everyone should live the best life that they can

7. specialt757 on said:

I’ll be glad when the garbage news outlets find a new agenda, this one is getting old and tired. Report some real news!

8. And that is the bottom line “RESPECT”. You don’t have to agree with the lifestyle just respect them as a human being and they should do the same, stop getting mad because everyone don’t agree with the lifestyle you choose just be happy that they respect you because you are a human being. That’s what counts… Porsha great words……

• I agree. And this includes race as well and other things in life. We do not have to like people of other races just as long as you respect not mistreat them.

• get over yall self, I respect her comments but didn’t she have a kid out of wedlock……….I disagree with her having sex and not being married. I don’t like any of you WOMEN that have did the same. Now I can’t wait to read your comments. Not to mention, she is tremendously talented but yet I knew that America would not choose her because of her image. They don’t do afros! Get it together. Half the women and or men on here commented is fuc$ing and aint married making babies like her and why is that ok. lol. double standard or double jeorpardy.

• Timothy Green on said:

GB you realize you have no point to your argument right?? If your going to establish a “thought provoking argument” atleast put something out there to provoke thought …. If not then just sit back quietly & leave the commenting to the grown folks

9. Why can’t straight people disagree with gay people. What about straight people rights, we have a right not to be exposed to it, we have a right not to marry two gay people if we so chose to. I’m so tired of gay people bashing straight people, they have more rights than we do. What’s wrong with this picture.

I will never understand gay people nor do I wish to understand them. I respect them as a person should, so I expect them to respect my views.

Stop bashing a person because they don’t agree with Gay people, we don’t have to! Straight have rights also just like Gay people.

• specialt757 on said:

I was thinking the same thing. So what she doesn’t agree with it, I don’t either, that doesn’t stop me from treating EVERYONE with dignity and respect, that is until they disrespect me.

10. Amber on said:

And what is wrong with what she said? She does NOT have to agree with it just like alot of us do not agree with it as well as many other things but we will tolerate (put up with it and not mistreat anyone). I agree with her.

11. To Timothy…….Thank you for your comment bruh. I am so tired of this d*** whining every time someone says, “I don’t agree with that lifestyle”. If the girl don’t agree, she just don’t agree.

• Exactly. And if she take the comment back, she still is feeling the same way so what is the point in attacking her? This is why a person like Trump who is extreme is gaining so many votes now even when he goes over board. He say what he feels and do not care.

12. Timothy Green on said:

Uhmmm there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with what she said, there’s NOTHING wrong with not agreeing with the homosexual lifestyle, she followed up that statement with EVERYONE should be treated with respect

• Exactly, This is the same with race, religion, economics, etc. We can agree to disagree and I am tired of people taking “I do not agree” and want to trash people who do not agree with them.