Dear Donald,

Over 30 plus years you have been an amazing friend; endorsing my books, coming to my shows, flying me on your planes, your helicopters, and even allowing my family members and myself to stay in your house in Florida many times. So, it kinda pains me to know that my public statements about your candidacy have strained or ruined our friendship. However, the fact is, what’s at stake is bigger than us.

I want to begin this tough criticism by reminding you that I am the Chairman of The Foundation for Ethnic Understanding, whose sole mission is to fight bigotry of all kinds. Our biggest program, as you know, is to get Jews to fight Islamophobia and Muslims to fight anti-Semitism. We are operating in forty plus countries, including Israel, France, Germany and the United States, where we have hundreds of “twinning programs,” bringing together congregations of mosques and synagogues on a regular basis.

Do you remember, not too long ago, when you made disparaging statements about the Muslim community and I put you on the phone with myself and Rabbi Schneier and we had a meeting with the Chairman of the Islamic Society of North America? You were very gracious and you even came to the Islamic Cultural Center of New York on 96th Street. At that time, you walked into that house of worship and you felt all the love vibrating in that mosque. Try to remember how sweet and enlightened my good friend, Imam Shamsi Ali was, and all of the people you met with.

My friends, both Muslims and Jews, are saying there are so many comparisons between your rap and Hitler’s, and I cannot disagree with them, Donald. You can’t possibly want your kids or your wife Melania (all of whom I know and respect) to live with that. You are a born leader, who is set to possibly win the nomination of your party, but don’t compromise what I know is in your heart to do it. You are a generous, kind man who has built a career on negotiating deals where everybody wins. Now, you seem like a one-man wrecking ball willing to destroy our nation’s foundation of freedom.

Stop the bullshit. Stop fueling fires of hate. Don’t feed into the rhetoric created by small-minded people. You’re smarter and certainly more loving then you let on. The Republicans in power don’t like you any more than the Democrats in power, as they know you can’t be controlled, because you are your own man. You have been many people’s champ in the past, but now you are becoming a major embarrassment. I know the cheap seats are easy to play to, but you can get them just by being the man I have known for nearly 30 years.

I’ll pray that this truth will ring a bell and it will not only temper your rap, but remind you of the man you used to be. You are trying to be president of a country built on religious freedom; remember that the next time you discuss the beautiful followers of Islam. I would also like to remind you of one of my favorite quotes from the Holy Quran, “Love all men of good books equally.” The minute you target one group or one religion or immigrants, you have failed.

I wish you good luck on your path towards the White House, but as I’m sure you know, our belief systems are polar opposites on many of the issues. And I will be campaigning rigorously against you. But if you win, I might still accept an invitation to your house to straighten you up every so often.

With love,

Russell

Find Out What Your Fav Celebs Did On Instagram This Week (02/02-02/08)

29 thoughts on “Russell Simmons Writes Open Letter To Donald Trump: ‘Stop The Bulls–t’

1. I thought the letter was appropriate as I never knew he and Russell had that type of relationship. I know that God reigns supreme at the end of the day and nothing will get by Him. If Trump is the Republican candidate then that might mean that the Democrats will keep the office of the presidency. Donald Trump has some good ideas and I like the fact that he has not been bought by special interest groups for funding his candidacy. I wish other more “authentic” Americans would consider the job.

2. it's my opinion on said:

@Peter Johnson…..interesting choice of words….and combination….all in the same sentence…”pandered” and “appeased”….it’s almost comical. Let me try this again…just in case I missed something…Someone help me out here…please…
    “Pandered” and “Appeased”

3. October 1 on said:

At least Trump creates jobs and will hire us. He may not be the best but who is? Before you get on that he’s a racist rant, who among this board does not have a racist feeling toward any one black, white or brown. Why aren’t we asking this same question to all the candidates? I’d like to know.

4. Why Trump is even wasting his time with these black panther devils is beyond me! These racists will vote democrat 99 percent of the time. They would vote for a black crackhead if they had a choice between a white and black candidate. Last time I checked it was you BLM devils that were screaming PIGS IN A BLANKET and KILL CRACKAS during your so called protests.

• #blacklivesmatter on said:

you need to go to the mirror and look and your devil acting self
      obviously you do not like beautiful black ppl
      also pick up a history book and read what African americans have contribute and done for America

Obama is one of the best president America ever had

d trump is a b I g joke not even the republicans want him

• it's my opinion on said:

Don’t come here with that lame bs, “democrat 99 percent of the time”….it’s choosing between the lesser of two evils.

5. it's my opinion on said:

@Keeba: Thank you….Martin Luther King once said: In the end, we will not remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our so called friends….Then, while we out there fighting, they (other groups) sit back and wait for the outcome and see how they can benefit from it…Personally, I’m getting sick of that too. So, who or what is more dangerous?

6. It was nice reading Russell Simmons’ open letter. It is fitting that he plans to campaign “rigorously” against Trump.
    Oh but how much more refreshing it would be if Simmons endorsed and campaigned for Sanders!

• it's my opinion on said:

“Oh how refreshing” it would be to see other groups come out with “open letters” and “vigorously”, voice their support on issues related to our community. Where was the Hispanic community when it came to the case w/Trayvon vs. Zimmerman….and that’s just one example. Please tell me ONE time the Muslim community has come out in support for ANYTHING related to our (African American Community) fight for equality. Minister Farrakhan and his group doesn’t count in my opinion, when I reference the “Muslim” community.

• @It’s My Opinion
        You made VERY VALID points so you will certainly get no argument from me.

On a side note, Trump’s public rants of hate are dangerous to ALL Americans and our allies.

7. The only reason why DT ever dealt with Russell is because of Business and nothing else.. It is crazy that Russell even thought that DT was his true friend. How many black friends does DT have that have no money, I bet you none. I do applaude Russell for writing this letter to let DT know that he will be fighting against him.

8. Whump have??at a complete load of nonsense.
    Is Russell Simmons really wanting us to believe that its only now that he realised that Trump is a bigot?? Really??
    He and Nene Leakes are surprised are they?? how many black friends does Trump have??
    So when he bans all muslims from the U.S, that will include all the oil & gas tycoons and the Saudi Royal family, sheesh.
    – It is evident that Trump is insane, and all the yes people around him are too cowardly to sign him into a psychiatric hospital.

• Thank you. I think he is becoming a bit like the ‘Kings new clothes’ no one wants to tell him he is off his rocker.
        – Imagine him walking up & down the neighbourhood saying these things and not being on drugs, this man needs treatment.

9. specialt757 on said:

Mr. Simmons’ open letter was quite interesting. I do agree with the others, the Dump doesn’t care what he believes is a handful of people think. He’s on his own mission which appears to be a one man wrecking crew to destroy, not save America. There are those who think along the same lines with him which is frightening and while their intentions might not be all bad, it’s not what’s best for the country. No one person can “save” America especially since we live in a democracy. POTUS work for the good of the people and not what’s good for him/herself.
    If you’re mad about how our country is run, do something about it, but don’t elect the wrong man that is sure to create more havoc even within his own party. Sadly, this country is headed in the wrong direction and that won’t change until the attitudes of the people in it change.

10. I agree Russell but Donald Trump does NOT care what we think just as long as there is a section of the population that agrees with him and keep his numbers up. It is the PEOPLE who is keeping him going at the end of the day. Welcome to politics.

• Timekeeeper on said:

So true Amber. All Trump cares about is the accolades he receives and the pats on his back. Doing what is right is the very last thing on his mind.