Glory Johnson is speaking out the abrupt, heartbreaking end of her marriage to fellow WNBA player Brittney Griner.
Just one day after revealing that she was pregnant, Glory was blindsided by news that her new wife had swiftly filed for an annulment to their 28-day union. While Brittney’s had her say about their tumultuous relationship during a tearful interview on ESPN, Glory is finally sharing her side of the story.
“I am truly really saddened by the recent turn of events and was not expecting to have our marriage end so abruptly,” Glory stated in an e-mail to the Associated Press.
“I am ready to begin focusing on my health, pregnancy and am going to remain in Tulsa to continue to build my relationship with the Tulsa Shock organization, and my teammates,” she added. “I appreciate the support of my fans, family and loved ones and look forward to returning to the basketball court as soon as I can.”
That wasn’t all, Glory had to say, though! She took the time to “address the inaccurate statements released surrounding my marriage and pregnancy” while writing her letter.
First, Glory aimed to debunk Brittney claims to ESPN that she tied the knot under duress just weeks after their domestic dispute. Acknowledging that she had her own hesitations about moving forward with the wedding, Glory stated, “While we may have both had our reservations, we both willfully and joyfully walked down the aisle together and decided to get married.”
Similarly, the mommy-to-be wanted to make it clear that Brittney was fully on-board with the decision to start a family with her.
“At no stage was Brittney pressured to undertake the fertility process,” Glory stated. “In fact, throughout the entire process, Brittney was a willing participant, consenting and signing all the necessary documents that needed to be signed in order to move forward with the treatments.
Welp, this should make for some interesting court proceedings!
1. WNBA star Glory JohnsonSource:AP 1 of 16
2. College basketball star Derrick Gordon announced he was gay on Instagram on April 9, 2014.Source:Instagram 2 of 16
3. College Football star Michael Sam3 of 16
4. Former WNBA player Sheryl Swoopes4 of 16
5. NBA player Jason Collins5 of 16
6. WNBA player Brittney Griner6 of 16
7. Former NBA player John Amaechi7 of 16
8. Legendary Tennis player Billie Jean King8 of 16
9. Boxer Orlando Cruz9 of 16
10. Former NFL player Kwame Harris10 of 16
11. Former Olympic diver Greg Louganis11 of 16
12. Former MLB outfielder Glenn Burke12 of 16
13. Former Tennis star Martina Navratalova13 of 16
14. Former Soccer player Justin Fashanu14 of 16
15. Esera Tuaolo15 of 16
16. Megan Rapinoe16 of 16