PLAY AUDIO

Are you too politically correct for your own good?

Do you allow room in your space for those who disagree with you?

Do you ever call co-workers or the person you hear on the radio or see on TV stupid because you disagree with them or because they don’t hold your same opinion about an issue?

If so, then you might be too politically correct for your own good, for society’s good.

It’s so much of a problem lately that even comedians, the most outspoken people on the planet, like Chris Rock are complaining about it.

And just the other night on Seth Meyer’s show comedian Jerry Seinfeld said quote, “There’s a creepy PC thing out there that really bothers me.”

A few days before that he said this on ESPN:

Interviewer:  “I talked to Chris Rock and Larry the Cable Guy.  They don’t even want to do college campuses anymore.

Seinfeld:  “I hear that all the time,” Seinfeld said. “I don’t play colleges, but I hear a lot of people tell me, ‘Don’t go near colleges. They’re so PC.’ I’ll give you an example: My daughter’s 14. My wife says to her, ‘Well, you know, in the next couple years, I think maybe you’re going to want to be hanging around the city more on the weekends, so you can see boys.’ You know what my daughter says? She says, ‘That’s sexist.’ They just want to use these words: ‘That’s racist’; ‘That’s sexist’; ‘That’s prejudice.’ They don’t know what they’re talking about.”

Comedian Colin Quinn responded last night on my show on CNN.

Lemon – “You think he’s right?”

Quinn – “It’s been like that for 20 years.  Yeah he’s right.  It’s been like that since the 90’s where they just keep getting more and more rigid where now it’s become more of a thing where people are like I felt personally violated.  And you can’t really tell someone no you didn’t feel that way.”

And as far as the PC police when it comes to stories in the news about racial issues Quinn said this:

Quinn – “It’s almost a form of racial, you know, It’s kind of like pandering in a weird way.”

Lemon – “No it’s not in a weird way. It is pandering.  You don’t learn anything.”

Quinn – “And you say you can’t talk about people like that they can’t take it.”

Here’s my take; political correctness has become dangerous.

We have to stop looking for reasons to be offended.

We have to allow people leeway to make mistakes in conversations without calling them racist, bigots, stupid, dumb, sell outs and on and on.

Not everyone is going to or do they have to agree with you.

In fact, it’s better when people don’t agree with you.

That’s how we learn.

After almost 25 years in the news business, you know who is the most easily offended and the least tolerant; Liberals and progressive – because many of them don’t really want to hear anyone else’s opinion but their own.

Here’s a tip, if you only agree with people who hold your same political affiliation or who are of your particular race, gender or ethnicity, you are part of the political correctness run amuck problem.

You are actually thwarting progress instead of advancing.

Find Out What Your Fav Celebs Did On Instagram This Week (02/02-02/08)

26 thoughts on “Don Lemon: Political Correctness Has Become Dangerous

1. It is well known and has been repeatedly demonstrated that like ISIS liberals/progressives/collectivists/etc. CANNOT be tolerant of anyone who is not fully compliant with their ideology because those individuals are either heretics or apostates. A member of that collective MUST attack and “kill” every heretic possible in order to remain a member in good standing in the hive.

2. Old Tom Payne on said:

Don is entitled to be right all the times when he agrees with me, and wrong all the times when he does not!

He is definitely right on this issue…and yes, the Liberal media have no problem lynching white people without fair trials.

3. chris on said:

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST, BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF

Clinton faces a higher bar in making a case that she, too, can be a transformative figure. Her campaign is planning to build on the multiethnic coalition that turned out to support Obama. Running to be the first female president, Clinton will also try to generate Obama-like enthusiasm among new voters — those who were too young to turn out for Obama or have not previously been engaged with politics.

Yet as her allies prepare to register voters and expand the black electorate, her candidacy presents residents here with a question: If Obama’s presidency didn’t do more to help African Americans, then how could hers?

The answer is simple: she cannot and will not. The liberal progressives of the left don’t support better educational opportunities in the inner city — ever heard a liberal progressive speak positively of school choice, school vouchers or charter schools? Nah — in fact, the first black president cancelled the Washington, D.C. school voucher program in April 2009, while his kids attend Sidwell Friends. The teachers union owns the Democrat Party and they will NOT allow any liberal to support such initiatives. Do you think Hillary Clinton will talk about restoring the black family? Ha — no way — since the Democrats are responsible for its destruction, enabling a 75% out-of-wedlock birth rate. Furthermore, Planned Parenthood has found fertile ground in the inner city for their killing fields of black babies. (Sadly, the premier black woman’s magazine, Essence, was given a Margaret Sanger Award.)

And do not think for one minute that Hillary Clinton — or Barack “you didn’t build that” Obama — will discuss minority small business ownership and entrepreneurship in order to promote economic revitalization in the black inner city community. They prefer to keep you dependent rather than independent — better for their business. Booker T. Washington believed in creating victors by way of education, entrepreneurship and self-reliance. When First Lady Michelle Obama recently spoke at the Tuskegee University commencement, she spoke instead of being a victim.

Unfortunately, many pastors — the linchpins of the black community — are still duped, and therefore their congregations are duped. Take, for example, these words:

“She [Clinton] is focusing on exactly the right issues,” said the Rev. Lee Harris of Mount Olive Primitive Baptist Church on the north side. “But here in Jacksonville, the issues won’t be enough.”

What are those issues?

Clinton has shown in recent weeks that she intends to put high-priority issues for African Americans, particularly those who live in impoverished urban areas, at the top of her campaign agenda.

In her first major policy speech, in April, amid the Baltimore protests that followed the death of Freddie Gray, Clinton lamented how the incarcerations of hundreds of thousands of black men affected communities. She vowed to “deliver real reforms that can be felt on our streets, in our courthouses, and our jails and prisons, in communities too long neglected.”

And last week, she called for universal voter registration, tapping into frustration among many minority advocates who say that Republican-backed voter-ID laws have served to squelch black and Hispanic voting.

What a bunch of bovine excrement, empty rhetorical nonsense — especially considering black voting participation has skyrocketed since 2008. And I suppose the 2012 Democratic National Convention was racist and against minorities since you had to have a picture ID to enter! But hey, the right Reverend Harris believes Clinton is focusing on exactly the right issues. Hey Rev, is this the same person who stated we’re going to have to forget some of those traditional religious beliefs? I wonder what the Reverend knows about the liberal progressives and religious liberty — something tells me, not a lot.

Herein lies the essence of Democrat identity gimmick politics:

“It became more about a personal duty to elect Obama than a civic duty to vote,” said Mone Holder, the northern Florida regional director for Florida New Majority, a liberal voting rights group. “There’s been a lot of talk in the state about how to transform that enthusiasm into a black and brown agenda. No one has fully figured it out yet.”

So now the mission is to make women believe it’s their personal duty to elect Hillary Clinton. What will be the guiding emotion for that? For what “change” will women be hoping?

“At least with Obama, he gave pride to our young men and was a good role model,” said Daniel “Happy Jack” Cobb Jr., 73, the owner of Happy Jack’s Grocery and Market on Jacksonville’s north side. “Hillary needs to prove to us that she’s genuine and really true. And I’m not even sure that would help. We’ve been snakebitten too many times before.”

See, the policies of white liberal progressives removed the black man from the home, took him out of the community and stole his pride and respect. Because of this, black men needed Obama to be a role model; there were none. My role model was my dad — still is — so I wasn’t looking to Obama for that. Nor was I looking to Obama for a sense of pride; I got that from serving my country.

Lesson learned, the black community has been snakebitten all these years, and the poison of the progressive socialist left is indeed killing its intended target — its victim. If American mistakenly goes down the Democrat road to perdition once again by the way of identity politics — first woman or first Hispanic president — we will be snakebitten again.

• You Know Who I Am on said:

I actually agree with what you are saying. All I am saying is that the issue Don is presenting is not the real issue he is trying to get at. He is dealing with his own demons and he’s used the issue of political correctness as the guise through which he deals with the issue.

• Joy2 on said:

YouKnow: No I don’t know???? You said….”:dealing with his own demons”…..what demons are you referring to?? And, what is this fictitious demon character you are referring to? Please explain in details

• You Know Who I Am on said:

Feel free to read my other post. If you still don’t understand after that, then there is nothing I can do for you.

• specialt757 on said:

@Chris
      After reading your book below, I actually forgot what the topic of this commentary was. But I was interested and a little intrigued with what you were saying. Mrs. Clinton does not have the “black” vote hands down. More voting age citizens seem to be a little more knowledgeable about politicians and their “empty rhetorical nonsense” since our last elections. It’s not like we have all these great choices to choose from in the political world, all seem to be a bunch of damn liars, self-serving, big teeth showing, great hair, show clowns. Historically, I must admit I voted along my party lines because I, to be quite frankly and sad to say, didn’t really care about who won, just who didn’t win. Actually, I believe people have gotten wiser and are not falling for the okie-doke. At least this is what I would like to believe. I still agree most importantly, people need to exercise their voting rights and vote, even if it’s for the sole purpose of not letting the “wrong” person win.

• chris on said:

@special, let me throw this out to you. Gonna change the subject. How would you feel if people who are on welfare, were not allowed to vote. Give it careful thought before you reply.

4. You Know Who This Is on said:

Don, Don, Don. Your self-hatred issues are not our problem. Also, you used the term “political correct” wrong. To be “politically correct” is to attempt not to be offensive. You can disagree with someone and still be “politically correct.” Nice try but you didn’t work this the right way.

YOUR issue is that YOU feel rejected by Black people and YOU blame us. YOUR rejection stems from YOUR self-hatred issues from YOUR childhood that YOU have not resolved. Because YOU feel YOUR people have rejected you, be it because of your sexuality or whatever, YOU now reject YOUR people which YOU try to compensate for through YOUR need to be accepted by White people. I sense somewhere around adolescence YOU became embarrassed and ashamed of us so much so that YOU tried to disassociate YOURself from us. Once YOU realized that wouldn’t work YOU then decided to appoint YOURself as the educator of YOUR ignorant people only to realize that YOU are the ignorant one.

My advice, resolve YOUR issues or YOU will forever live in this purgatory of an identity crisis I suspect you have been in for the longest. You are trying to get something from us that you desperately need: ACCEPTANCE. But you’re going about it the wrong way. If you want to stop being called an “Uncle Tom” then stop throwing YOUR people under the bus in order to promote YOURself. You can’t have it both ways.

• You Know Who This Is on said:

Thank you Tom for pointing out his glaring contradiction between last Tuesday and today. Last week we can’t say anything about Jenner. This week we’re too politically correct. Make up your mind Don!

• Old Tom Payne on said:

Yeah, figures you would claim that Don is not Black enough…Blacks like you cannot handle any criticisms of Black behavior or any attempts to make Blacks accountable and responsible for anything…any critique of Blacks must be safely ignored by casting it as Racist, one way or another.
      and when one of your own group dares to tell the truth, you simply brand him as an Uncle Tom.

But you know what? Ain’t no Uncle Tom’s gunning down children weekly on the streets of Chicago.
      More Black children killed by Black Thugs in the past year than all unarmed Blacks killed by white cops in the past decade.

Popular Black culture is Lewd, Crude and Rude, and you have no choice but to defend it, even though it is dysfunctional and killing your children more often than any whites could.

5. Tanisha on said:

What I don’t undertstand is why we have all types of sex, nudity, language, gay relations,violence all over television but if someone says something inappropriate now we have a problem?

• horatiosocks on said:

You apparently don’t watch Don Lemon on tv because he’s spoken out about ALL of those things. He thinks they are a cancer to society on a whole, but specifically to Black society. You can deny it all you want, but if you think a thugs life is right living, then that’s why people are dying in the streets.

• I agree, with you 100% this PC mess has made the 1st amendment obsolete, as well as some of our new laws. I am a Veteran of the US Army, I am a man of color, now with that being said, the color of my skin does not define me, the content of my character does, to Quote M.L.K.

I believe in the God, Constitution, the bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence, Voltaire once stated “I may not like what you have to say, however I will defend to the death your right to say it”……

6. Shaun on said:

How come we just can’t agree to disagree? Just don’t say anything about the LGBQT for you will be forced to apologize

7. Mom in MD on said:

I think that’s why as a black female vet I watch Fox News more now. Sooooooooooooo sick and tired of the whining on CNN and MSNBC!!! Seems the networks only bring on people with its point of view! If my child is shot in the head (or raped, murdered and thrown in a river like Phylica Barnes)by a black career criminal why would I want to hear Al Sharpton or CNN whine all day about how poorly criminals are being treated by white officers??????????? My daughter LOVES Seinfeld and told me Cosby and Kevin Hart were GREAT at Ohio State! The media has made PC worse with its constant biased reporting. I can’t even stand to listen to Gayle King anymore because her comments sound like she’s defending her friends and not as professional as Charlie or the other lady!

• JoanneH on said:

I live in MD also. I listen to WTOP for breaking news and weather, BBC and Aljazeera. I do not know how Gayle King got that job, because she is not well versed on serious matters, she should be doing entertainment news. Even her news reading skills are terrible. I am shocked that Don Lemon is talking about PC going too far, because he is the first one to go crazy when folks disagree with anything connected to lesbian, gay or transgender issues.

• horatiosocks on said:

He may go crazy, but he doesn’t stop someone from talking about it. There is a difference. The problem with ALL news including all the ones you listed… and especially Al Jazzera is that they all tout a party line. In fact, Walter Cronkite did the same. He may have been the reason why Vietnam went the way it went. He was a closet Socialist/Communist. Don’t believe me… look it up.

• Joy2 on said:

@Mom: Are you suggesting that Fox doesn’t have it’s distractors??!! I don’t refer to it as Fox news….because it’s mostly entertainment…it’s my understanding that Fox even said in a court of law when they were (supposedly sited for not telling the truth on numerous issues) that they are an entertainment outlet…not news.

8. Surprisingly very good article by Don … The World has become too PC and overly sensitive, it really restricts true progress. We have stopped being able to laugh at ourselves. Humor can bridge the gap between people and cultures.