Five years, a wedding and two children.
After all that, Alicia Keys, producer Swizz Beatz’ current wife and Mashonda Tifrere, Swizz Beatz’ ex-wife have finally buried the hatchet.
Keys opened up about how she and Tifrere are getting along during an interview with Wendy Williams.
According to the “Girl On Fire” singer, the main reason centered around creating a positive environment for their children.
“You know what I think it really is? It’s about the kids: When everybody is able to be an adult, which we all are able to be, and we’re able to really recognize that actually, there’s a beautiful value about the way that we can all influence each other’s lives and the lives of the kids,” Keys said.
“They can really see that they have more than one woman to look to and say, ‘What can I learn here?’ ‘What can I learn there?’ and guidance and love. And it’s fatherhood and motherhood and it’s friendship. It’s really, really important and I think it’s so beautiful. It doesn’t always work but it’s totally possible. And it can work when everybody really wants to do the right thing for the children.”
Key’s comments come as she promotes her new children’s book, Blue Moon: From the Journals of Mama Mae and LeeLee. During her interview with Williams, she touched on various things, including her new baby due at the end of December, pregnancy weight gain (“These babies have been very good to me.”), and her relationship with Swizz Beatz, born Kaseem Dean.
“We’ve known each other forever, and that’s the thing that makes us feel like we just have kindred spirits,” Keys said.
The end of Tifrere’s beef with Keys concludes a long-running feud between the two women. In 2009, Tifrere, who is Beatz’ ex-wife, took aim at Keys for not giving her and Beatz an opportunity to work on their troubled marriage.
Apparently that’s all in the past now that everyone involved is willing to move forward for the kids.
Watch Alicia’s interview above!
National Best Friends Day: Exes Who Are Besties
1. Jennifer Lopez and Marc AnthonySource:AP 1 of 12
2. Lamar Odom and Khloe Kardashian OdomSource:AP 2 of 12
3. "RHOA" star Cynthia Bailey and ex actor Leon are such good friends that the two co-parent their 13-year-old daughter which allows Leon to live with his daughter and Bailey sometimes.Source:Instagram 3 of 12
4. Diddy and Kim PorterSource:Instagram 4 of 12
5. Angela Simmons and Bow Wow remain such good friends after their break-up that the duo even work together on BET's "106 & Park".5 of 12
6. It's all about family! Kimora Lee Simmons is great friends with her exes Russell Simmons and Djimon Hounsou.6 of 12
7. Not only is Will cool with his ex Sheree Fletcher but years ago, Fletcher and Will's wife Jada Pinkett- Smith decided they would be cool too.7 of 12
8. Actor Kadeem Hardison and singer Chante Moore are best friends after one son and a divorce. They even showcased their true bond on national TV to prove it!8 of 12
9. Actress Jackee Harry and her ex-husband Elgin Charles co-parent their son and live under one roof after divorcing in 2003.9 of 12
10. Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez divorced in 2011 but that hasn't stopped them from having a blended family and keeping it cordial for their twins.10 of 12
11. Eddie Murphy and Nicole Murphy were married for 17 years and they had five kids together before their split. Maybe we can't call them besties, but the two have remained friendly and cordial for the sake of their children.11 of 12
12. Actors Bruce Willis and Demi Moore are the epitome of keeping it cool with your ex. The former couple has remained buds after three daughters and over 20 years.12 of 12
(Photo/Video Source: YouTube)