LOS ANGELES (AP) — Prosecutors and an attorney for Chris Brown were discussing a possible deal on Thursday to resolve probation issues faced by the R&B singer over his 2009 attack on Rihanna.
Brown was led into a Los Angeles courtroom in handcuffs for a short hearing after U.S. marshals transported him from Washington, D.C.
Superior Court Judge James R. Brandlin ordered Brown to return to court on May 9 when a possible deal could be addressed in court.
No possible terms were discussed Thursday.
Brown could face continued confinement or other punishment if Brandlin or another judge determines he violated his probation by getting arrested after a man was punched in October outside a hotel in the nation’s capital.
Brandlin revoked Brown’s probation in December and ordered him into rehab for anger management and other issues.
Brown’s attorney Mark Geragos said if a deal could not be reached by Tuesday, he would request the release of the singer.
“I’m hopeful that we get it resolved, and we get it resolved quickly,” Geragos said. “He turns 25 next week. So I’d like to give him an early birthday present if I can.”
The Grammy winner has been in custody since March 14 when he was expelled from a court-ordered rehab for violating its rules.
Brown’s trial on a misdemeanor assault charge in Washington is on hold while his bodyguard appeals an assault conviction for the same incident.
Brown did not speak during the hearing on Thursday but smiled at his mother and other supporters.
Celebrity Zodiac: Taurus
1. Ron WashingtonSource:PR Photos 1 of 26
2. Ray LewisSource:PR Photos 2 of 26
3. Chris BrownSource:PR Photos 3 of 26
4. Grace JonesSource:PR Photos 4 of 26
5. Darius RuckerSource:PR Photos 5 of 26
6. Dwayne The Rock JohnsonSource:PR Photos 6 of 26
7. Louis FarrakhanSource:PR Photos 7 of 26
8. Kandi BurrussSource:PR Photos 8 of 26
9. Ving RhamesSource:PR Photos 9 of 26
10. Mayor Cory BookerSource:PR Photos 10 of 26
11. karrueche-tranSource:PR Photos 11 of 26
12. Janet JacksonSource:PR Photos 12 of 26
13. Duke EllingtonSource:PR Photos 13 of 26
14. Katherine JacksonSource:PR Photos 14 of 26
15. Coretta Scott KingSource:PR Photos 15 of 26
16. Byron AllenSource:PR Photos 16 of 26
17. George LopezSource:PR Photos 17 of 26
18. Cam NewtonSource:PR Photos 18 of 26
19. Lovie SmithSource:PR Photos 19 of 26
20. Carla HallSource:PR Photos 20 of 26
21. SommoreSource:PR Photos 21 of 26
22. Sugar Ray LeonardSource:PR Photos 22 of 26
23. Dennis RodmanSource:PR Photos 23 of 26
24. Kevin GarnettSource:PR Photos 24 of 26
25. Chris PaulSource:PR Photos 25 of 26
26. Stevie WonderSource:PR Photos 26 of 26