It seems like yesterday when Erica Campbell raised eyebrows in the Christian community with a photo of herself on her Instagram page.
A week after the photo was posted and the reaction that followed, the Mary Mary signer is speaking out on the situation. In her view the picture was nothing more than a beautiful image of someone who is proud of the way she looks.
“I’m taking it in stride and I’m keeping it moving,” Campbell shared with Essence.com. “When we took the picture I felt beautiful, I felt confident, I felt sexy and I felt strong.”
“I thought I looked cute,” she added jokingly, “but it obviously offended some people, which was never my intention.”
Campbell’s photo features the vocalist wearing a figure-hugging white dress that shows off her curves. Among the people in Campbell’s corner is her husband, who she first sent the photo to, and her family, who never wavered in their support
“Our whole family loved it,” Erica’s sister, Mary Mary groupmate Tina Campbell said. “You see grace, you see beauty, you see elegance and style. It’s wholesome.”
Criticism over Erica Campbell’s picture may have been an unexpected vehicle for a new cause as she is thinking about the need for a bigger conversation about Christianity and sexuality.
“This is about confidence and realizing that God made you and that you are beautiful just the way you are,” she stated. “I think that young girls shouldn’t only get sexy images from people who are not proclaiming Jesus. But I am. And I’m cute too.”
At this point all we wanna know who designed and made that dress, cause no matter how you slice it, it fits perfectly.
Celebrity Siblings: Talent Runs in the Family
20 photos Launch gallery
1. LisaRaye McCoy is the older half-sister of rapper Da Brat; they share the same father.
1 of 20
2. Meagan and La'Miyah Good
2 of 20
3. jussie and Jurnee Smollett-Bell
Source:Jussie Smollett Instagram
3 of 20
4. Tennis Superstars Venus and Serena Williams.
4 of 20
5. Tracie Ellis Ross and Evan Ross are the children of Ms. Diana Ross.
5 of 20
6. Ray-J and Brandy have a close bond that's been displayed in music, TV, and film.
6 of 20
7. The Braxtons Toni, Tamar, Traci, Towonda and Trina have all gained celeb status.
7 of 20
8. Beyonce and Solange, the power sisters in music, fashion and film.
8 of 20
9. Tahj, Tia and Tamera have been famous since childhood.
9 of 20
10. Pop icon Grace Jones and Bishop Noel Jones are siblings.
10 of 20
11. Did you know Nia Long and comedian Sommore are half sisters.
11 of 20
12. Vanessa Williams shares those blue eyes with younger brother Chris.
12 of 20
13. Actors and brothers Steve and Wood Harris.
13 of 20
14. The famous music family includes Janet, Tito, Michael, Marlon, Jackie & Jermaine
14 of 20
15. Phylicia Rashad and Debbie Allen are sisters.
15 of 20
16. The Wayans Bros: Dwayne, Keenan Ivory, Kim, Damon, Marlon, and Shawn.
16 of 20
17. Funny guys Eddie and Charlie Murphy are brothers.
17 of 20
18. Funny men Chris Rock and Tony Rock, don't you see the resemblance?
18 of 20
19. The talented DeBarge family has been plagued with drugs, crime & death.
19 of 20
20. Brothers Rev Run, Russell and Danny Simmons.
20 of 20