Of course, Oprah’s yard sale was a big success!
The media mogul raised $600,000 from auctioning off her personal collection of art, antiques, furniture and memorabilia from her Hawaii, Indiana and California homes. According to Los Angeles Times, fans spent top dollar for O’s old around-the-house items, including $1000 for a teapot.
Other overpriced, in-demand “bargins” included:
• A set of six 18th-century Louis XVI armchairs with hand-embroidered details netted $60,000
• An enlarged print of a TV Guide photo of the TV host, with a $200-$400 estimate, went for $3,000
• Crystal lamp bases (described as “simple”), expected to fetch $200-$400, went instead for $2,500
• Two 13-ft. long sofas, upholstered in crushed velvet with roped fringe, collectively brought in $8,750
As we reported earlier, proceeds from the massive garage sale benefited Winfrey’s Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa.
In the process of raising money for the school, Oprah said she was also able to declutter her life.
“I’ve been accumulating things since 1985,” she told Entertainment Tonight. “It’s just too much stuff. I talk about it a lot in the magazine. We talk about decluttering. And I realized, I need to declutter my own life. It is very freeing. I am downsizing.”
How To Live Your Best Life: According To Oprah's Quotes (PHOTOS)
1. Relax & LiveSource:Getty 1 of 9
2. Be Grateful For The StruggleSource:Getty 2 of 9
3. Live Like A QueenSource:Getty 3 of 9
4. Try AgainSource:Getty 4 of 9
5. Educate YourselfSource:Getty 5 of 9
6. Invest In Great FriendsSource:Getty 6 of 9
7. Dream BigSource:Getty 7 of 9
8. HealingSource:Getty 8 of 9
9. Speaking UpSource:Getty 9 of 9
Winning! Oprah Raises $600,000 For Her South African School In Massive Yard Sale was originally published on hellobeautiful.com