Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
A mother of four averted what would have been another disastrous incident of police brutality this week.
Kametra Barbour and her children were pulled over in a case of grossly mistaken identity. According to TheGrio.com, Forney, Texas, police had gotten an alert about a car speeding down the highway while at least one of the occupants was waving a gun in the air.
Authorities were told to look for four black men riding around in a “beige or tan Toyota.” Kametra was driving a red Nissan Maxima with her kids in the vehicle, so she wasn’t even close to fitting the description.
The Forney Police Department acknowledged in a statement that “there were discrepancies in the original vehicle description. Mrs. Barbour’s vehicle was the vehicle that we were directed to by the witness.”
Kametra was pulled over at gunpoint when officers spotted her car. In video from the cop’s dashboard cam, he was heard demanding that Kametra and her kids show him that they had no weapons. “Driver, let me see your hands!” he said. “Everybody stick your hands out the window!”
She did everything the cop asked her to do, but she could be heard asking why exactly she’d been stopped. “What is wrong? My kids! They’re 6 and 8 and 10, 9,” she said. “What are we doing? What is going on? Oh, my God! You will terrify my children.”
The cops eventually figured out that they had the wrong car and let Kametra go while trying to comfort her children, who had been watching the whole incident helplessly from the car.
Relieved that she wasn’t in any trouble, Kametra took her kids home to go over the teachable moment once they had calmed.
“Words cannot express how we felt after we arrived home. We sat down and had a heart to heart lesson about how your life can change in a matter of seconds,” she said in a statement on Facebook. “We went from having a good old time shopping in the store and enjoying each other after a very hard day from laying to rest another mother to me and a grandmother to these children to this horrible interaction with the police.
She added, “I am so proud of all of these children because they learned a valuable lesson yesterday.”
Despite her experience, Kametra is determined not to let it spoil her disposition. She wanted her kids to know that what happened to them could have happened to anyone. “I explain to them that mistakes will happen in life, and as long as you have God on your side and your life in order, then everything will be alright,” she stated. “You must not be bitter or angry; just try to stay calm in a situation like this.”
It’s wonderful that Kametra and her kids are now safe, and that she has given them a resolve to remain in good spirits. However, it is mind-boggling that they could have been mistaken for a car full of grown men.
Even if the car was misidentified, the description of the people in the car could not have been. There’s a huge difference between four grown men in a car and a woman with four of her kids. Common sense should have taken over before cops had Kametra get out of the car.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25