Childless couples want you to pay for their baby.
Thousands of couples have trouble conceiving every year, and many of them shell out an upwards of $10,000 for in vitro fertilization, according to WebMD.com. Well now parent hopefuls are starting to pick up on a new trend to foot the bill: crowd funding campaigns that ask others to help pay the costs of starting a family.
Realizing they may not be able to pull it off on their own, social media-savvy couples with limited resources have taken to GoFundMe.com to see who would be willing to help them cover such huge costs. A quick search of “in vitro” on the crowd-funding website will turn up thousands (literally thousands) of campaigns to assist couples with the overwhelming cost.
Deirdre Alby and her husband Harold are one such couple, who are desperately trying to raise $32,000 for the IVF treatment they need to conceive a baby. They’ve been struggling with fertility for the last two years. In their quest to have a child they’ve endured unsuccessful IVF treatments and even surgery.
Now, their best hope is to use donors, but Deirdre would still like to carry the child. They’ve got six shots to make it work, but they’re still pushing to raise the money they need to at least try.
Most of these fertility fundraisers don’t offer up rewards like other campaigns do (what could you possibly give anyone in return for something like this?), but Deirdre and Harold have lined up some nice thank you gifts like beauty products and tickets to a show.
Center for Bioethics and Culture President Jessica Lahl isn’t crazy about these campaigns. “It’s pretty cynical and presumptuous to ask friends, family and strangers for money for crazy expensive IVF,” she told the Daily Mail. “It’s tacky and tasteless. What are they going to ask for next? The child’s private school or college fund?”
These baby making methods — and the fundraising efforts to make them happen — may come from a place of privilege. Not everyone can conceive easily, but not everyone can indulge in this way of bringing a child into the world either. But is there anything wrong with asking for help when you truly want to make something happen? With fundraisers for potato salad and White Privilege lately, a campaign for IVF almost seems like a noble thing to donate to!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30