Childless couples want you to pay for their baby.
Thousands of couples have trouble conceiving every year, and many of them shell out an upwards of $10,000 for in vitro fertilization, according to WebMD.com. Well now parent hopefuls are starting to pick up on a new trend to foot the bill: crowd funding campaigns that ask others to help pay the costs of starting a family.
Realizing they may not be able to pull it off on their own, social media-savvy couples with limited resources have taken to GoFundMe.com to see who would be willing to help them cover such huge costs. A quick search of “in vitro” on the crowd-funding website will turn up thousands (literally thousands) of campaigns to assist couples with the overwhelming cost.
Deirdre Alby and her husband Harold are one such couple, who are desperately trying to raise $32,000 for the IVF treatment they need to conceive a baby. They’ve been struggling with fertility for the last two years. In their quest to have a child they’ve endured unsuccessful IVF treatments and even surgery.
Now, their best hope is to use donors, but Deirdre would still like to carry the child. They’ve got six shots to make it work, but they’re still pushing to raise the money they need to at least try.
Most of these fertility fundraisers don’t offer up rewards like other campaigns do (what could you possibly give anyone in return for something like this?), but Deirdre and Harold have lined up some nice thank you gifts like beauty products and tickets to a show.
Center for Bioethics and Culture President Jessica Lahl isn’t crazy about these campaigns. “It’s pretty cynical and presumptuous to ask friends, family and strangers for money for crazy expensive IVF,” she told the Daily Mail. “It’s tacky and tasteless. What are they going to ask for next? The child’s private school or college fund?”
These baby making methods — and the fundraising efforts to make them happen — may come from a place of privilege. Not everyone can conceive easily, but not everyone can indulge in this way of bringing a child into the world either. But is there anything wrong with asking for help when you truly want to make something happen? With fundraisers for potato salad and White Privilege lately, a campaign for IVF almost seems like a noble thing to donate to!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25