Childless couples want you to pay for their baby.
Thousands of couples have trouble conceiving every year, and many of them shell out an upwards of $10,000 for in vitro fertilization, according to WebMD.com. Well now parent hopefuls are starting to pick up on a new trend to foot the bill: crowd funding campaigns that ask others to help pay the costs of starting a family.
Realizing they may not be able to pull it off on their own, social media-savvy couples with limited resources have taken to GoFundMe.com to see who would be willing to help them cover such huge costs. A quick search of “in vitro” on the crowd-funding website will turn up thousands (literally thousands) of campaigns to assist couples with the overwhelming cost.
Deirdre Alby and her husband Harold are one such couple, who are desperately trying to raise $32,000 for the IVF treatment they need to conceive a baby. They’ve been struggling with fertility for the last two years. In their quest to have a child they’ve endured unsuccessful IVF treatments and even surgery.
Now, their best hope is to use donors, but Deirdre would still like to carry the child. They’ve got six shots to make it work, but they’re still pushing to raise the money they need to at least try.
Most of these fertility fundraisers don’t offer up rewards like other campaigns do (what could you possibly give anyone in return for something like this?), but Deirdre and Harold have lined up some nice thank you gifts like beauty products and tickets to a show.
Center for Bioethics and Culture President Jessica Lahl isn’t crazy about these campaigns. “It’s pretty cynical and presumptuous to ask friends, family and strangers for money for crazy expensive IVF,” she told the Daily Mail. “It’s tacky and tasteless. What are they going to ask for next? The child’s private school or college fund?”
These baby making methods — and the fundraising efforts to make them happen — may come from a place of privilege. Not everyone can conceive easily, but not everyone can indulge in this way of bringing a child into the world either. But is there anything wrong with asking for help when you truly want to make something happen? With fundraisers for potato salad and White Privilege lately, a campaign for IVF almost seems like a noble thing to donate to!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25