PLAY AUDIO PLAY AUDIO PLAY AUDIO PLAY AUDIO PLAY AUDIO PLAY AUDIO

Listen above to hear Sherri join the Tom Joyner Morning Show live from New York City co-hosting with Tom, Jay and Sybil.

It would be an understatement to say that Sherri Shepherd hasn’t had the best year thus far. Both her ex-husband and current, estranged husband are suing her – the ex for a reconsideration of their custody agreement, the estranged for divorce and custody of their unborn child by surrogate.

She is leaving The View on August 7 after being told some months back that her contract wasn’t being renewed. And last weekend, to add insult to injury, she was served papers at the Essence Festival.

“It’s been crazy. I got served right before I went on stage,” Shepherd said this morning after co-hosting the Tom Joyner Morning Show in New York. “I had the summons and complaint in my jokes. I was getting mixed up. I didn’t know who had served me. I get them mixed up. One’s attorney is on Inside Edition, the other is on Access Hollywood. What’s going on? Lord, you got a big blessing for me.”

Shepherd says humor has helped her throughout the most challenging moments.

“Then I went onstage and killed,” Shepherd says. “That’s what comics do. You gotta perform. They paid me to make people laugh. Plus I spent the money so if I didn’t make them laugh…I had paid my attorney with the money they paid me with so I couldn’t give the money back. You get on that stage, you make them laugh, ‘cause that’s what we do.”

When asked if her troubles will turn into material, Shepherd says its likely they will. The former legal secretary has already weathered more than a few obstacles just to be where she is today, so why not? It’s turning pain into comedy that is the hallmark of most successful comedians.

“I really got some issues if I done did this for material,” Shepherd says. “You know what made me mad, though? Now I’m back in this place of being single. Now I’m back in the place where I gotta be the usher, the greeter, I gotta teach your kids in Sunday school…that’s what the single folks did. I got married and I got to come to the church and listen to the sermon. Now I’m back in that place where people say ‘How are you , Sherri? And I’m saying ‘I’m blessed and highly favored because God is bringing my man today. I’m back in that place.”

Humor has been and continues to be Shepherd’s avenue to overcoming and getting through this difficult season.

“You have to laugh,” she says. “If you don’t laugh, you would wake up with half your face hanging off. You can’t move the left side of your face,” she laughs.

Shepherd says after two husbands, she still believes in marriage, but maybe not for her a third time.

“I believe in marriage. But you know when they say ‘This is her companion.’ I think I want to be a companion. Because love is expensive,” she says. “When I go on a date, I’m going to carry papers with me. This is a prenup, this a confidentiality agreement. Before you even ask me ‘How you doing, I wanna holla at you,’ sign your name right here. As long as you can get up and move your fingers and toes, you’re good.

I’m a survivor. You ain’t gon’ keep me down.”

(Photo: SherriEShepherd IG)

27 thoughts on “Sherri Shepherd: ‘I Was Served Papers At The Essence Festival’

1. carmen on said:

So what she was served divorce papers at the Essence Festival. That’s because they knew she would be there, court process server’s job is to serve you where ever they know you will be, whether it’s on your job (which she was working) or a a funeral. Don’t shoot the messenger, they’re doing they’re job just like she was doing her job, about to go on stage. If she would focus on spiritual self healing instead of trying to get a husband a man in her life, she would probably have a happier life. Happiness Start’s Within, not getting having a man a man in your life and trying to be on multiple network tv shows chasing after the money. Sherri, slow down, stop spreading yourself too thin by being all over the place, get a grip and stay focused in a positive realm. Not all money is good money.

2. carmen on said:

Sherri is really street, she’s back to doing what she’s good at, a loud mouth comic like her friends Monique etc and some of those reality tv drama queens. She puts on a whole different personality while on the VIEW for 7 years, she had no choice to do a complete personality change during that time, so now, she’s back to where she started and what she’s really good at, being a loud mouth comedian.

3. carmen on said:

Greg, have ever heard of FOX News? None of those people are Journalist yet alone good journalist. They just sit in front of a camera and state their opinion, spew hate and divisiveness and the same goes for Conservative talk radio. They have dismantled good Journalism out of stupidity and ignorance, Therefore, good Journalism has been dumbed down, except for of course, MSNBCNBC Network News Shows and ABC Good Morning America which puts out excellent Journalism= FACTS not personal opinions blowing hot air and negativity like those others…

Greg on July 8, 2014 at 8:18 pm said:
    The lack of journalism in this article troubles me. It doesn’t support any of the information promised in the headline. How and who served her papers. What was she doing at the Essence Festival. We assume that she was performing stand up. Was she a host? Did the serving take place before she went on stage? If so, how did she handle getting this news, and then have to go on stage and perform? What was the name of her first and second husbands? How long had they been married? When did this take place? Was it yesterday or a year ago? It seems like this site could use a journalism editor to vet these articles before publishing.

4. I really like Sherry “on tv” as well as you all, but why does everyone automatically think it was husband 1 and 2’s fault for the divorce. He served her papers. He wants out, not Sherry wanting to leave him.Two sides to every story, and then there is the truth.

5. Slim on said:

Those men are a piece of work. Sherry made the money and fame. They want to profit off of it. that’s crap. Get a real job, like real men do. This coming from a real man.

6. Le'Rett on said:

Hold on not all ushers and Sunday school teacher’s are single…lol..praying that it works how every you want it to. Without him your sill good.

7. Greg on said:

8. Gloria Wiggins-Lane on said:

Sherri, God knows what you stand in need of before you ask. He will never leave nor forsake you. He tells us if we are faithful over little He will make us ruler over much. Those who try and bring you down better know the ditch they digging for you… they just may end upon it. I will be Praying with you for your continued success…love you!

9. Blessings to you and your son Sherry, you will be fine,this is your test of Faith,been there,done that and I AM STRONGER EACH DAY THRU THE GRACE AND MERCY OF GOD, people need to try and get it right you cannot try and take advantage of God’s people because you will regret it. God is in control, stay strong……………….. Blessings………………

10. Darene Morton on said:

Sherri, keep your head up high. This battle is not yours it the Lord. Know what you going through it the Lord. I have much love you . Be Blessed.

11. Angela Orphe on said:

That is So Dirty… Served papers in Front of People on your Job… I know the Feeling.. But GOD has Something Special For Him…HE AINT GONNA Get What the Devil is Whispering in his Ear… Stay Prayed Up Sherry… he Can’t Go Where GOD is Elavating you.. N GOD Will expose Him n Take Excellent Care Of You!

12. CJay on said:

Sherry… it takes a strong woman of God to weather the storms you are going through. I pray favor, strength and wisdom for you.

13. Sherri,

WE have your back. I wil pray for you as well as anyone going through half of what you are.. You are trully blessed and a child of God. He will send you a companion, and if not you have Jesus as your number one man!!!!

14. Timekeeper on said:

I pray for her as well, anyone gpoing thru that certainly need it. That having been said this is something that men go thry every day of the week. witrh no sympathy ( or prayers) whatsoever.