In April 2006, Arik Air was born, supplanting Nigeria Airways Limited in Lagos. The first commercial vehicle to fly was the Bombardier CRJ 900 aircraft, and by December 2008, the Airbus A340-500 was launched, flying between Lagos and London’s Heathrow. The Airbus was unique to Arik Air’s arsenal of planes because it offers flat beds and 17-inch monitors for its first-class passengers. In addition, these planes have a communal space, providing a nice change of scenery for bored and weary flyers with its sofas and bar lounge.
By 2009, Arik Air expanded service on the continent from Lagos to Sierra Leone, Senegal, Ghana, Liberia, and the Gambia and also holds the distinction of being the only nonstop flight between New York and Nigeria. Today, Arik Air serves 21 locations in Nigeria and 33 locations without.
Since its inception, the airline company has won the International Quality Summit Award for Excellence and Business Prestige and the Best Security and Safety Conscious Airline in Nigeria. NewsOne spoke with Vice President of Arik Air’s America division Robert Brunner about why the airline carrier soars above its competitors and whether it is true that one can get a bite of authentic African cuisine en route.
NewsOne: How important are passengers to the company?
Robert Brunner: Customers are of the utmost importance to Arik Air. Without passengers, we don’t have a business. Our focus is customer safety, security, and comfort. Everything we do — from safety and security to catering and marketing — is done with the customer at the forefront of our thinking. We want to provide our passengers with the best possible experience with each and every interaction they have with Arik Air.
NewsOne: How does Arik distinguish itself from other airplane carriers?
RB: We are distinguishable from our competitors in a number of very distinct ways:
– We are the only airline to fly from New York JFK non stop to West Africa.
– Arik Air is the biggest and fastest-growing airline in West and Central Africa.
– We have won numerous safety awards, including receiving the award for Best Security and Safety Conscious Airline in West and Central Africa three times consecutively by Africa’s foremost security and safety magazine, Security Watch Africa.
– Arik Air has the youngest fleet in the industry.
– The airline boasts the most legroom of any airline flying to West and Central Africa.
– Arik Air is the only airline offering same carrier connections domestically in Nigeria.
NewsOne: What future plans does Arik have, i.e., expansion, upgrades?
RB: Arik Air continues to grow, having just added flights to Cotonou, Benin, from Lagos and Dakar, Senegal, from Abuja. We also have numerous aircrafts on order to support future growth plans, including possible expansion to the Middle East (Dubai).
NewsOne: Why should travelers select Arik Air?
RB: Along with the items raised previously about why we are different from other airlines, from the first time a passenger steps on to our aircraft they begin to experience the best that Africa has to offer, including African cuisine, Nollywood films, African music, and African flight attendants, with a natural understanding of African culture.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Arik Air Continues To Distinguish Itself In Airline Space