Cynthia Brim (pictured), a Cook County, Ill., judge, who was deemed “mentally unfit” last year by the Illinois Courts Commission (ICC) after demonstrating a series of bizarre behaviors in the courtroom, was ousted from the bench on Friday by the very same state judicial panel. The seven-member committee concluded that Brim “suffers from a mental disability that persistently interfered with the performance of her judicial duties” and that the mental episodes “brought the judicial office into disrepute and demeaned the integrity of the judiciary,” reports the Chicago Tribune.
The ICC reportedly further noted, “The respondent’s repeated failure to follow through with proper medical treatment resulted in conduct that was prejudicial to the administration of justice and brought the judicial office into disrepute. The only appropriate remedy in this case is to remove and dismiss respondent from the office of Circuit Court Judge, effective immediately.”
The 55-year-old, 18-year justice has become the very first sitting Illinois judge to be booted from the bench in more than 10 years and the seventh to be removed in the last four decades.
ICC members did allegedly express sympathy for Brim’s medical situation, but felt, however, that Brim’s alleged repeated breakdowns over the years and apparent inability to follow a proper course of treatment, brought them to a decision they could not back down from.
The judicial group’s Chair and Illinois Supreme Court Justice Lloyd A. Karmeier stated that ICC wrote in its unanimous ruling, “The public expects and deserves predictability in the judicial process, and the unpredictable and unrecognizable nature of [Brim’s] mental illness places the public at risk.”
Last year, Brim was reportedly found not guilty of misdemeanor battery by reason of insanity, after throwing a set of keys at and pushing a sheriff’s deputy during a mental breakdown in March 2012. Just one day shy of the alleged key flinging/shoving incident, Brim allegedly went in to a public courtroom rant while presiding over a mere traffic case. The justice accused two police departments of racial bias with regards to targeting minorities and mentioned how she had just been in a psyche ward.
Brim was suspended for her bizarre courtroom outburst but still able to maintain her judicial seat in the November 2012 election as well as her $182,000 yearly salary. Brim defended her bench behavior, but those in attendance at the time labeled her antics as “preachy,” stating that the courtroom had turned into an absolute circus atmosphere. Brim later conceded, though, “I just broke like a pencil.”
Brim has allegedly been hospitalized at mental health facilities at least nine times since 1994. The Chicago Tribune reports, that Brim was even carried out of the courtroom during one occasion on a stretcher, after she became catatonic.
The ICC determined that Brim’s mental episodes occurred too often and unexpected.
Now Brim’s seat will remain vacant until the Illinois Supreme Court can temporarily appoint an interim replacement.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25