Cynthia Brim (pictured), a Cook County, Ill., judge, who was deemed “mentally unfit” last year by the Illinois Courts Commission (ICC) after demonstrating a series of bizarre behaviors in the courtroom, was ousted from the bench on Friday by the very same state judicial panel. The seven-member committee concluded that Brim “suffers from a mental disability that persistently interfered with the performance of her judicial duties” and that the mental episodes “brought the judicial office into disrepute and demeaned the integrity of the judiciary,” reports the Chicago Tribune.
The ICC reportedly further noted, “The respondent’s repeated failure to follow through with proper medical treatment resulted in conduct that was prejudicial to the administration of justice and brought the judicial office into disrepute. The only appropriate remedy in this case is to remove and dismiss respondent from the office of Circuit Court Judge, effective immediately.”
The 55-year-old, 18-year justice has become the very first sitting Illinois judge to be booted from the bench in more than 10 years and the seventh to be removed in the last four decades.
ICC members did allegedly express sympathy for Brim’s medical situation, but felt, however, that Brim’s alleged repeated breakdowns over the years and apparent inability to follow a proper course of treatment, brought them to a decision they could not back down from.
The judicial group’s Chair and Illinois Supreme Court Justice Lloyd A. Karmeier stated that ICC wrote in its unanimous ruling, “The public expects and deserves predictability in the judicial process, and the unpredictable and unrecognizable nature of [Brim’s] mental illness places the public at risk.”
Last year, Brim was reportedly found not guilty of misdemeanor battery by reason of insanity, after throwing a set of keys at and pushing a sheriff’s deputy during a mental breakdown in March 2012. Just one day shy of the alleged key flinging/shoving incident, Brim allegedly went in to a public courtroom rant while presiding over a mere traffic case. The justice accused two police departments of racial bias with regards to targeting minorities and mentioned how she had just been in a psyche ward.
Brim was suspended for her bizarre courtroom outburst but still able to maintain her judicial seat in the November 2012 election as well as her $182,000 yearly salary. Brim defended her bench behavior, but those in attendance at the time labeled her antics as “preachy,” stating that the courtroom had turned into an absolute circus atmosphere. Brim later conceded, though, “I just broke like a pencil.”
Brim has allegedly been hospitalized at mental health facilities at least nine times since 1994. The Chicago Tribune reports, that Brim was even carried out of the courtroom during one occasion on a stretcher, after she became catatonic.
The ICC determined that Brim’s mental episodes occurred too often and unexpected.
Now Brim’s seat will remain vacant until the Illinois Supreme Court can temporarily appoint an interim replacement.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31