Once again, the people have spoken. Who is the top female R&B singer as voted on by YOU? It’s none other than Whitney Elizabeth Houston. Once again defying expectations about how Tom Joyner Morning Show listeners would vote, in the final tally, Whitney dominated the competition. (Aretha Franklin and Patti Labelle were #2 and #3 respectively.) The New Jersey native certainly deserves the title. Discovered as a teenager in the 1980’s, Houston’s self-titled debut CD, released in 1985, propelled her onto the pop and R&B charts with #1 hits like “Saving All My Love For You” and “You Give Good Love.”
Once established, Houston became a pop icon who ultimately sold hundreds of millions of records, was one of the most dominant females on the Billboard charts, shares the female record for most weeks (14) at number one for her signature hit “I’ll Always Love You,” (Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men co-own this distinction with “One Sweet Day”) won 22 American Music Awards (a record for a female solo artist) 6 Grammy Awards, recorded six multiplatinum albums and 11 #1 singles and basically changed the game for female singers, period.
Houston was well known for her string of #1 pop hits like “I Want to Dance (With Somebody Who Loves Me)” “How Will I Know” “I Have Nothing” and of course her record-setting hit ,“I Will Always Love You,” but in the later years of her career, songs like the remake of “I’m Every Woman,” “It’s Not Right, But It’s Okay” “Heartbreak Hotel’ (with Faith Evans and Kelly Price) and “Exhale (Shoop Shoop)” showed off her R&B chops as well. Known for her flawless tone and perfect pitch, Houston was a dominant hit-maker into the 90s. Her acting career in hits like “The Bodyguard” “The Preacher’s Wife” and “Waiting to Exhale” led to platinum soundtracks for those films as well. Unfortunately drug abuse and an ill-fated marriage to R&B singer Bobby Brown, who battled his own drug and alcohol problems, led to the downturn of Houston’s career.
But by 2012, it appeared that she was on the way to a comeback, starring in the remake of “Sparkle” and singing on the movie’s revamped soundtrack. Unfortunately, Houston would not live to realize a career revitalization. The night before the 2012 Grammy Awards on February 11, Houston was found dead of a drug overdose in her Los Angeles hotel room. Her funeral, which included tributes by “The Bodyguard” co-stsr Kevin Costner, Alicia Keys, her longtime label head and mentor Clive Davis and others was broadcast live on CNN.
Whitney may not have lived as long a life as either she or her fans would have wanted but her legacy of musical perfection will endure. As of now, she is the artist most performed by “American Idol” hopefuls. We can only hope that Houston has finally found the peace in death that she tried so hard to find in life.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25