Once again, the people have spoken. Who is the top female R&B singer as voted on by YOU? It’s none other than Whitney Elizabeth Houston. Once again defying expectations about how Tom Joyner Morning Show listeners would vote, in the final tally, Whitney dominated the competition. (Aretha Franklin and Patti Labelle were #2 and #3 respectively.) The New Jersey native certainly deserves the title. Discovered as a teenager in the 1980’s, Houston’s self-titled debut CD, released in 1985, propelled her onto the pop and R&B charts with #1 hits like “Saving All My Love For You” and “You Give Good Love.”
Once established, Houston became a pop icon who ultimately sold hundreds of millions of records, was one of the most dominant females on the Billboard charts, shares the female record for most weeks (14) at number one for her signature hit “I’ll Always Love You,” (Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men co-own this distinction with “One Sweet Day”) won 22 American Music Awards (a record for a female solo artist) 6 Grammy Awards, recorded six multiplatinum albums and 11 #1 singles and basically changed the game for female singers, period.
Houston was well known for her string of #1 pop hits like “I Want to Dance (With Somebody Who Loves Me)” “How Will I Know” “I Have Nothing” and of course her record-setting hit ,“I Will Always Love You,” but in the later years of her career, songs like the remake of “I’m Every Woman,” “It’s Not Right, But It’s Okay” “Heartbreak Hotel’ (with Faith Evans and Kelly Price) and “Exhale (Shoop Shoop)” showed off her R&B chops as well. Known for her flawless tone and perfect pitch, Houston was a dominant hit-maker into the 90s. Her acting career in hits like “The Bodyguard” “The Preacher’s Wife” and “Waiting to Exhale” led to platinum soundtracks for those films as well. Unfortunately drug abuse and an ill-fated marriage to R&B singer Bobby Brown, who battled his own drug and alcohol problems, led to the downturn of Houston’s career.
But by 2012, it appeared that she was on the way to a comeback, starring in the remake of “Sparkle” and singing on the movie’s revamped soundtrack. Unfortunately, Houston would not live to realize a career revitalization. The night before the 2012 Grammy Awards on February 11, Houston was found dead of a drug overdose in her Los Angeles hotel room. Her funeral, which included tributes by “The Bodyguard” co-stsr Kevin Costner, Alicia Keys, her longtime label head and mentor Clive Davis and others was broadcast live on CNN.
Whitney may not have lived as long a life as either she or her fans would have wanted but her legacy of musical perfection will endure. As of now, she is the artist most performed by “American Idol” hopefuls. We can only hope that Houston has finally found the peace in death that she tried so hard to find in life.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31