Slain civil rights activist Medgar Evers was the first Mississippi Field Secretary of the NAACP. After running sit-ins and boycotts in Mississippi, the Evers’ home was fire bombed by the KKK in May 1963. The family survived, but Medgar Evers was assassinated in his driveway one month later. Evers was assassinated long before the nation endured the killings of Martin Luther King Jr., John F. Kennedy and Malcolm X.
As a result of Medgar Evers’ fearless leadership, his wife, Myrlie Evers-Williams, later became national chairwoman of the NAACP. She spoke at the second term inauguration of the nation’s first black president, Barack Obama. His brother Charles Evers was the first black man elected mayor in Mississippi. And when you land in Jackson, you fly into the Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport. In 2011, the US Navy named a new 689-foot, $500 million dry cargo vessel the USNS Medgar Evers in honor or the slain civil rights activist.
Medgar Evers was born in 1925 in Decatur, Miss. After serving in France and Germany, he attended Alcorn College where met his wife Myrlie in 1950. Although the WWII veteran had been honorably discharged, he was denied admission to the University of Mississippi Law School in 1954 after fighting for his country in Normandy. That same year, he began working as a state field secretary for the NAACP. It was Evers’ responsibility to schedule protests and fight on behalf of victims of discrimination in Mississippi. His work made him a prime target for the white supremacists of Mississippi.
Evers was shot and killed in his own driveway on June 12, 1963 by long-time Klan member Byron De La Beckwith. After Evers’ funeral, Jackson, Miss. cops arrested over 350 black demonstrators under a parade-permit injunction, including ministers and young children. Medgar Evers is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
The shooter, Byron De La Beckwith, was tried and released twice by all-white hung juries. He was re-tried in 1994 at 74 years old, and found guilty of first-degree murder. De La Beckwith died six years later while still imprisoned.
Now, 50 years after his death, a private ceremony was held at his gravesite in his honor. People gathered at the Arlington National Cemetery to remember the legacy of Medgar Evers. Notables such as journalist Gwen Ifill, Benjamin Jealous of the NAACP, Former President Bill Clinton, Evers’ widow, Myrlie Evers-Williams and her surviving children were there to talk about the life and meaning behind the work of Medgar Evers. President Obama hosted the Evers family in the Oval Office this week in an emotional closed meeting. The event was also accompanied by a black-tie gala.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25