New Orleans police officer Joshua Colclough, 28 (pictured left), has been charged with manslaughter for the fatal shooting of 20-year-old, unarmed Wendall Allen (pictured right), but claims that racial tensions in New Orleans are too high for him to receive a fair trial, reports NOLA.com.
On March 7, 2012, Colclough, a white, four-year veteran of the NOPD, entered into a home in the middle-class Gentilly section of New Orleans, allegedly with a search warrant for a marijuana investigation that did not involve Allen, who is black.
According to an internal police investigation, the officers knocked on the door of the home, but no one answered, forcing them to kick it in. As they fanned throughout the house, other officers claim they heard a single shot.
Allen, who was “unarmed, shirtless and wearing jeans and sneakers,” had been shot once in the chest by Colclough.
According to Coroner Frank Minyard, the bullet penetrated the lungs, heart and aorta of the 6’3, former Frederick Douglass High School basketball star, who fell to the floor and died “almost instantly.”
District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro offered Colclough a plea deal, which he later refused. And his attorney, Claude Kelly, claims that information of the negotiations leaked to the press has fueled racial tensions:
“From the beginning, this incident has had racially charged implications,” Kelly wrote in his motion for a change of venue Friday. “Regardless of the facts of the matter, the populace — fueled by media reports during and after the incident — has become polarized along racial lines. Thus it is impossible for the court to seat a jury in this parish unbiased by the racially charged coverage that has permeated this incident.
“Fliers posted throughout the city, including areas near the Orleans Criminal District Courthouse, scream ‘Justice for Wendell Allen” and other such slogans,” Kelly wrote in his motion. “The name Wendell Allen and its synonymy with police violence has even permeated the art of local graffiti taggers, who have similarly posted various slogans around town using graffiti as their medium for expression of their enmity.”
Allen’s family filed a lawsuit against the city of New Orleans and the NOPD the same week as the family of 2o-year-old Justin Sipp, who was killed by the NOPD under suspicious circumstances during a traffic stop.
He was allegedly armed and was killed after he allegedly began shooting at police officers and they returned fire.
One of the officers who shot Sipp was Jason Giroir.
As previously reported by NewsOne, in response to a comment posted on WWL-TV.com on a story about Trayvon Martin, 17, who was unarmed when he was gunned down by George Zimmerman, 28, Giroir said that the 17-year-old deserved to die:
“Act like a Thug Die like one!” he wrote.
Giroir’s wife echoed her husband’s sentiments on the same article:
“He acted like a thug and died like one,” she wrote. When a commenter said that Giroir’s comments were racist, the veteran did not back down, taunting, “… come on down to our town with a ‘Hoodie’ and you can join Martin in HELL and talk about your racist stories!”
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Wendell Allen Case: White NOPD Officer Charged With Manslaughter Of Unarmed Black Man