NOTE: This story was submitted by Mary Jo Haywood, the first black female Mayor of Camilla, Ga. and a dedicated listener of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.”
In Camilla, Georgia on “The Hill” sits the Georgia B. Williams Nursing Home. The building was owned by Georgia midwife Beatrice Borders, or “Miss Bea.” Between 1941 and 1971, Ms. Borders delivered over 6,000 African American babies at the home. Prior to the civil rights era, black women of Camilla were not allowed in the larger hospitals. For 30 years, this was the only place black women could give birth in Mitchell County.
Beatrice Borders was born in 1892. She began delivering babies around 1918. She would go house-to-house to deliver babies until she was able to purchase the nursing facility. Patients were drawn to the Williams home from miles around. Mothers would stay at the facility for three days after delivery and were cared for as if they were in a hospital. At one time there could be up to four patients recovering or delivering at the home. If there were any issues with a patient’s birth, a nearby doctor was on call.
Midwives in the early 20th century were licensed by the state. In the state of Georgia, midwives were required to pass a test through the Georgia Health Department. In addition, women who were to give birth by a midwife had to be given a ‘thumbs up’ by a doctor, usually in their seventh month of pregnancy.
The Georgia B. Williams Nursing home charged between $25-$55 for delivery, but no one was turned away because they couldn’t pay. Borders also accepted barter payments, although she was in debt herself with the home. The facility had a birthing room, recovery, office, nursery, laundry room and a side entrance for the mothers. The front of the home was for living quarters. The building only had one bathroom that all the women had to share.
The Georgia B. Williams Nursing Home remained a working facility until its close in 1971, the same year that Borders passed away. Borders was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in the city. While many of the items in the facility are still within the building, it is now abandoned, with hopes of being restored by the city of Camilla. The home is listed in the Georgia Register of Historic Places. It is currently awaiting recognition by the National Register for cultural heritage and its placement in women’s history. Jacquelyn Briscoe and Brenda Smiley nominated the facility for designation into the registry.
The Georgia B. Williams Nursing Home Committee Inc. has launched a restoration project to honor Mrs. Beatrice Borders and to save and restore this historic birthing home that she owned and operated. Once restored, the facility will be made into an interactive museum and community resource center. In addition to teaching tours, the center plans to award scholarships to students who are studying midwifery, nursing or child care. The cost of restoration is $300,000. City officials fear that deterioration will occur if the facility is not restored in a timely fashion.
Contributions are to be made payable to GBWNC and mailed to GBWNHC, 23 East Beacon Street, Camilla, GA 31730.
For more information contact Chairperson Mary Jo Haywood at 229.336.5728 or committee member, Jackie Briscoe at 706.817.8512 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donations of any size are accepted and appreciated.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31